Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another barn car 3W..sat over 1/2 century

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mecutem, Oct 11, 2006.

1. mecutem

mecutem

Its interesting how many of us hot rodders are attracted to that number 3 and letter W togather isn't it. Maybe I should have put ...not ford.... but cool..... in the title. Well I really enjoy the post with pictures of old tin here on the hamb so I figured I would share a few pics of this 37 stude express coupe. Just came to the shop via rollback yesterday. Owner is a young fella who inherited the car from his grandpa. Car sat in a barn for over 50 years! Date on rear plate is 1954......the year I was born. How can someone leave something this cool alone for all that time anyway.

My challenge is to get it running again. I am an old ford guy myself so finding the needed parts may be difficult. My production numbers book says 3,125 stude coupes were made in 37. Only 1,000 in 38. So not too many parts cars around I am sure.

If anyone reading this has one of these around for parts please let me know. I know the chances are slim but maybe. Steve

Attached Files:

• s1.JPG
      s1.JPG
      File size:
      39.2 KB
      Views:
    • s4.JPG
      s4.JPG
      File size:
      36 KB
      Views:
    • s3.JPG
      s3.JPG
      File size:
      33.9 KB
      Views:
    • s5.JPG
      s5.JPG
      File size:
      25.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Those were pretty cars. I love that front! Introduce him to the HAMB!

3. haring

haring

BEAUTIFUL!

It seems to be in great shape. That fender can be banged out.

The rear end is gorgeous -- the trunk is well-sculpted and looks to be generous in size.

Is the car now yours or are you doing this work for the grandson?

4. threelane

threelane
    from kentucky

Those other 3-W are getting boring. I like the change.

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

gorgeous lines... would make an amazing late 40's style custom.

6. mecutem

mecutem

Not my car........just hired to get it running again and maybe a little body and paint on down the road. Steve

7. the-rodster

the-rodster

You gotta dig that body styling, grille, lines, etc.

And that crazy back glass.

Beautiful.

Rich

8. sodas38

sodas38

Yes, the 37 Stude is pretty model. That coupe looks great.

There is a 37 Stude sedan that a guy took from a 4-door to a 2-door (Street rod style) it is a beautiful car. My favorite of any "street rod". But I wouldn't street rod that thing, I would agree with Ryan it would make a very cool custom rod.

9. In Michigan and looks to be solid! Wow, cool!!

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

One of the best woodworkers in my area is building a 2Door woodie from a '37 Studebaker 4door, that front end is in a class of its own, just beautiful. Parts should be cheap, the rolling chassis and body remains from the woodie project sold for less then $100.00 on eBay. :eek:

11. warbozz

warbozz

I've got the original Champion 8 spark plugs for the '33-'40 Studes for $20.00 per box of ten postpaid if you think you'll be needing them. WWII factory rebuilt plugs- they run great and you don't have to worry about a 'sort of' right modern plug that's over priced. That's an 8 on the far right of this picture. I have them in cadmium plate or black bases.

[​IMG]

12. Erik B

Erik B

That looks like the Dictator model. Beautiful cars! Contact the Studebaker Drivers Club in South Bend, Indiana. The Stude club is pretty big and there are parts out there for it from the Stude specific vendors.

There is some great styling there so mods should be done with respect to that. A little would go a long way.

-Erik

13. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Man thats a beautiful cstom in the making.
    Its lines knock you out.. the trunk-area window area are perfect.
    i love the front end with that grille and headlight arangement.
    I'm not a custom loving man but this car would change me in a minute.

14. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Hopefully the grandson is interested in the car, not just fixing it up to sell! It's always sad to me when you hear about a car like this that obviously meant a lot to the grandfather that gets passed on to an ungratefull family member (usually young) who dumps it as quick as they can to buy something different.(usually new)

15. Man, that car has gorgeous lines.

16. Thats a cool car man. Even cooler to see it's in Michigan.

17. mecutem

mecutem

The grandson is in colledge and wants to keep the car around for a long time I think. The car was not and is not for sale and thats always a good sign that it won't go away to the highest bidder anytime soon.

Yes I too know of cases where an old car is inherited and not wanted by the recepient. Those orphan cars can change hands many times before finding a loving home.

I get the feeling this old stude is cherished by the family members who now hold its future in their hands. Steve

18. wow. that is so cool.

19. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

TRUE ... But it sure does help free up some old iron to be worked on :)
    Most everyone here knows of a cool car or two that cannot be bought ... until some old person dies .. and HOPES that they are the one to be able to buy it ...

20. Frank

Frank

How did they rebuild plugs? Just curious. Do they actually replace the porcelin and electrode?

21. mecutem

mecutem

Another interesting note on this car is the oil change sticker in the door jamb is very readable with last lof at 11/19 with 11,352 miles. Car now has about 11,500 miles. Car was put away around 150 miles after its last service. 3 of the tires still had air in them. All the brakes were free! Rubber floor mats in trunk and cockpit still in place and in good condition. Key in the ignition. Heres a few more shots of the car. Steve

Attached Files:

• s6.JPG
      s6.JPG
      File size:
      35.1 KB
      Views:
    • s8.JPG
      s8.JPG
      File size:
      29.2 KB
      Views:
    • s2.JPG
      s2.JPG
      File size:
      29.7 KB
      Views:
    • s11.JPG
      s11.JPG
      File size:
      30.4 KB
      Views:
  22. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Try this link for technical help as well as finding parts. There are a lot of avid Studebaker boosters out there. Lots of knowledge eagerly shared on this site. Join the group and you will learn a lot. I have.

23. CruZer

CruZer

Here's a pretty '40 coupe that a friend of mine in Glens Fall, NY owns. This car has been on the road since the early 90's.
    Ryan is right.These make excellent early customs.

Attached Files:

24. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

That car is beautiful!:eek: Thanks for the glimpse, and keep us posted.

25. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

I'd clean her and drive her....PERIOD

26. h0twired

h0twired
    from Winnipeg

That would look awesome as a taildragger...

27. markanthony

markanthony

Agreed, but then again don't most 30-40's autos :)

Attached Files:

• s3.JPG
      s3.JPG
      File size:
      38.6 KB
      Views:
  28. Wow, it just keeps getting better.

29. mecutem

mecutem

Its cool what some of you can do with a photo. How bout some better looking tires and wheels.

This afternoon I discovered the old flat six will turn by hand on the fan blade! Unbelievable for setting so long.

That stude site is gonna help me a lot......thanks all for your post replies. Steve

30. Well, if it turns, it will run. I have piles of spare carbs and will probably be getting more, if you need an extra. I just bought a car with a batch of fuel pumps in it, too, if you need a spare core -