Register now to get rid of these ads!

Century Welder Parts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Danimal, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

I've got an 84230 Century buzz box that has some loose rivets and such inside. Anybody know where I can get repair parts for this thing? Searching the web shows no luck at all.:eek:

2. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

Finding parts for a lot of the century stuff is damn near impossible. :(

3. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Great to hear. Am I better off just junking it and buying a new one? I need leads as well. Now I suspect I know why my brother in law gave this one to me...

4. Mutt

Mutt

Northern Tool sells Century Welders, and I think they make them, or have them made. Check with them.

Mutt

5. AntiBling

AntiBling

Lincoln bought out Century is what I was told. So I would check with them. Leads shouldnt be a problem though, you should be able to go to most any place that sells welding supplies and get new leads.

6. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

All the Century Welders in the catalogs on line say "Item Not Available." I though Lincoln bought them to increase their line, not kill their competition.

7. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I have a Century MIG that I just couldn't kill no matter how hard I tried. Finally something died which turned out to be a shorted diode in the rectifier bridge.
    Couldn't get one anywhere, and Lincoln couldn't (wouldn't?) supply them either. Not even the specs so an electronics house could order generics for me...:(
    That tough little SOB welds just as good as it ever did with that one diode yanked completely out...5 on one side and 6 on the other!!! LoL

Bit the bullet a couple of weeks ago and bought a new Lincoln while a sale was on...but I kinda feel bad to put the old Century to rest.

In your case you might be able to replace the rivets with new or use nuts and bolts? The leads should be universal I would think.

MIGs are great but I STILL love my old Tombstone Lincoln for the big stuff! ;)

8. dommi7

dommi7

Sorry to resurrect an old thread for my first HAMB post - but I had the same problem and just found new diodes for a Century MIG at A&A Hydraulics - they're recommended parts source by Lincoln's tech service. 4 diodes for $7.27. A&A says replace them all at once or better yet (according to Lincoln), replace the entire bridge for $75.
    On disassembly, I found all of the diodes connections were tarnished. So if you have a weak welder (as in other posts) look at the diode connections and clean 'em.
    Find the parts here:
    http://www.hydraulicparts.com/
    or call: 800-992-9898

9. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

An old post but potentally valuable to someone.
    Thanks for the additional info.
    i agree on the tarnish causing problems. Any time resistance is increased it increases heat...which could easily be the death of those same diodes.

NEW bridges were upgraded as well. Went from 4 diode to 6 per side. Thats a big increase in durability!

BTW...Welcome aboard! :D

10. I have a Matco (Century) that isn't the greatest. Any photos of these sparky parts you are talking about? Maybe mine needs cleaning, I don't know shit about electrical stuff.

11. TotinTools

TotinTools

Century was purchased by Lincoln Welders. Between the time that Century quit making their own welders and when Lincoln bought them out, Century marketed some Italian welders similar to Harbor Freight. You will still see some of those old Italian machines sold by Sears and some of the online welder supply places. You can tell if it is a new welder being made by Lincoln because it will have a K in front of the catalogue number. We have been a Century dealer since 1982, and believe me, we have seen it all, but we should be able to get you most any part you need. Just let us know how we can help you. Our website is www.Welder-Pros.com. Any other questions?

12. TotinTools

TotinTools

On most of the larger Matco machines made by Century, the diodes are aluminum colored and have threads and a nut on one side that bolts through the rectifier bridge. The other end looks like a woven cable with a hole through a crimped-on piece that bolts to one of the leads from the transformer. Any other questions-contact us at www.Welder-Pros.com. Thanks.