Register now to get rid of these ads!

283 vs 350

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by imapickupman, Sep 26, 2006.

1. imapickupman

imapickupman

I have a 1962 chevrolet C10 pickup and it has a 283 in it right now and i can get a 350 fairly easy but i was wondering which would be better, it has a powerglide on it now and id like to keep the powerglide eaither way. i dont need ALOT of power but i wanna be able to have some FUN when i want to if ya know what i mean. any information would be helpful.
    thanks,
    John

2. Where is your intro???? I'd go with the 350.

3. imapickupman

imapickupman

Into????

4. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Powerglide does not equal FUN, especially in a truck. You'd be better off swapping to a snappier transmission that swapping engines.

5. OldsGuy

OldsGuy

normally, people introduce themselves, there is a special forum for that. Anyway, what's the difference? A small block chevy is a small block chevy is a small block chevy is a small block chevy is a........................

6. A small block chevy is a small block chevy is the most power per dollar available, has been fo 50 years, how is that not traditional?

7. repoguy

repoguy

...Oooh, 5 ROCKABILLY COOL POINTS for you!!!!

8. burger

burger

john,

i see you've met the intro police and the traditional police. there are a lot of self important people on this board.

to answer your question, you'd be wiser to build a 350.

a mild performance engine should make about 1 hp per cubic inch, which means your 283 will make around 283 hp and the 350 will make around 350 hp.

the guy who said a sbc is a sbc is a sbc is true in one regard -- they all cost about the same to rebuild.

so figure there's about a 70 hp difference between the two, and they're going to cost about the same to rebuild. horsepower per dollar, that means you're going to get way more out of the 350.

and as was mentioned before, that powerglide isn't the best for street fun. it only has two gears and the first one isn't very deep. you'll have a lot more fun with a simple th350 upgrade.

hope this helps,
    ed

Vballz likes this.
  9. nrfleming

nrfleming

John,
    put the 350 in the pick-up and save that 283 for a model A ford.

10. atch

atch

one more vote for the 350. the cheapest hp you can buy is cu. in.

11. Orange54

Orange54
    from Missouri

A 283 rebuild kit costs a lot more than a 350 rebuild kit. I think you can buy a kit from Northern for $175.00. I have about $1200.00 in a 283 in my 54 chevy truck. Bored .040, new pistons, turned crank, new bearings, new camshaft & lifters, the whole shooting match.

12. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Plus there are waaay more combination of pistons available.I think you can buy 350 pistons at Wal-Mart now.

I vote 350.

13. 350 for sure.

Check the compression... if it has any dead cylinders, throw a set of rings in her and get a valve job done. You might want to throw a ring and bearing kit in it with a cam... all available from Northern.

If it's a "hood closed" kind of hot rod... a Edelbrock performer and a Holley 600 along with a mild cam and a good electronic ignition (re-curved HEI) will give you a snappy motor that will get decent mileage.

Leave the 283 for the hardcore traditionalists that need a period perfect motor... the 350 is really the way to go, only second to a 383 Chevy for a few more bucks.

Sam.

14. bad6772

bad6772
    from indiana

i would have to agree with samiyam .i have 2 chevrolet c 10s one is a 67 with the 292 and 3 speed and the other is a 72 c1o which had a 283 when i baught it. i installed a zz3 crate engine cost about 1500 bucks ( i used to work for a gm dealership) so i would check your prices .anyways it is way better for the street than the 383 and cheaper it makes 330 horse right outa the box and it has a 7 year warranty. my zz3 has been in the truck now for about 3years last year i had the heads ported and polished and my intake portmached . and i added a powerdyne supercharger fast sumbitch, but as far as your powerglide i would get rid of that for the street .it wont perform the way a gud ole th350 will. the 383 is a good engine dont get me wrong but if your gonna do a stroker do a 406 or a 415 just my 2 cents.

15. KY Boy

KY Boy

350 all the way. Wal mart has parts as do most roadside junk dealers and some pet stores. cheaper than the 283 and mo-power. trade the 283 to some resto nut for a 700r4 trans. The 3.06 first gear in the 700 will be like adding a lower rear gear for power AND you get the overdrive.

16. tomslik

tomslik

i agree EXCEPT i'd go with a performer rpm.
    regular performer ain't much better than stock(my opinion)

17. 'Nuther vote for the 350 for the same reason as Burger gave above. Sell the 283 to a restorer and you'll just about break even.

Regarding trannys, I'd spring for a Turbo 700R-4 but if cost is an issue (and it usually is), then a Turbo 350 would work OK and they're dirt cheap.

BTW, you really oughta give an introduction- tell us who you are, how you earn a living, what you drive (pix are a plus), etc...

alanp561 likes this.
  18. Hey X--Gasser, welcome to the HAMB!

If you didn't post an intro in the appropriate place, some of your hamb-bro's will... tactfully remind... you to do so.

I say just stick the 350 in the truck. Then you can break it in by driving to CO to give away the 283 to a friend I got there.

Seriously, I guess it depends on what'cha want. I'd stick a 350 in 'er, put some early valve covers and manifolds on it (so it looked old), and then hop the shit outa' the 283 (since it's all talk and I don't gotta' pony up the $$$ here...) and put it in an old car. That would be cool.

Then I'd wake up and not fuck with the pickup, unless it had some problem. That would be easier.

-bill

19. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Not to Highjack the post because I think that this info will apply to the main concern
    Any one have any first hand Knowlege about Gas Mileage from a 283. I am just looking for a rough guess.
    i myself am considering putting a 283 in my 49 chevy instead of a 400 horse 350 I have built. Gas is like 3.25 a gallon here so I would like to drive my car every day and I dont like the 12 miles to the gallon the motor gets while it is in my other car????????

20. nrfleming

nrfleming

i have a 283 with a 4bbl and a mild cam. i tach 2700 at 60 mph and get about 14 mph

21. nrfleming

nrfleming

or is it 14 mpg

22. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Damn I remember 283's pulling 23 to 25 mpg with a powerglide in a 3600 lb. Impala.The tach reading 2700 at 60 means your runnin gears around what? 3:23? Seems it should be better then that:confused:

23. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

... seems to me like everyone is thinking you need a new motor.. maybe I missed a post, but if you have a good running 283, that is the best motor for your truck. since it is in there and running. leave it alone... drive it and have fun.

of course if it is no good, all that changes. in my professional opinion, if it is a clean original truck, it deserves the original engine. if you plan on building a HOT ROD truck out of it, go with the 350

24. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Keep the 283.
    IM a ford guy but I managed to scrounge me a 283 there just cool. Everybody has a 350. The 283 is not as common. Unless your racing for money stay with the 283.

25. OldsGuy

OldsGuy

Ha Ha, I knew I would get flamed! Anyway, I had to keep true to my loyaty, after all, I am OLDSGUY,,,,,,,sheesh :).

26. specialk

specialk

Fun is going to be relative anyway, since you've almost certainly got a 3.90 or 4.11 gear and only two gears to play with. I say keep the 283 and (when you've got a pile of money) get a TKO500/600. Or, go cheap right now and get a T5 from a camaro and swap an S10 tailpiece on (so your shifter isn't in the middle of your seat). Or, if you're married to the automatic idea, get a 200 or 700r4. All the gears and you don't run your motor > 3000rpm @ 60mph.

27. lou707

lou707
    from new york

hi all
    stock 283 vs stock 350.....one runs cooler, quieter, burns less gas, uses smaller carb and similar HP - with power pack option.
    also runs great with a simple 2 speed tranny. other seems to need the 3 speed - more $.
    anyone guess the right answer?
    if you said 350 - bzzzzt.....wrong answer, one more guess :)
    Louis

28. rusted40

rusted40
    from N.C.

I took the 350/TH400 out of my vette and put in a 283/muncie.

I like the 283 better. butter smooth and it doesnt use as much gas.

if I want more power I can always add a power adder of some sort and still get 283 mileage.

29. zzford

zzford

From the beginning of time..."you can't beat cubic inches".

30. Herdez

Herdez

I have to agree a 350 cost wise is cheaper and more power less guess work in the power department.
    Chunk the glide and drop in a TH350 and use 3:55 to 3:73's in the rear if your truck doesnt already have'm.

If you are going to stick with the 283 then bore it 30 to 60 over and keep at least 10 to 1 compression, use later model vortech heads and a comp cams extreme series HEALTHY hyd. bump stick should do the trick with an edelbrock rpm intake and edelbrock 600 cfm carb which should bring you at least close to the 350 motors horse power level but at higher rpms with less torque....but who cares about the lesser torque when mighty mouse can zing to 7000rpms LOL

Chunk the glide and drop in a TH350 or 200r4 and use 3:55 to 3:73's -possible stretch 4:10's in the rear if your truck doesnt already have'm.