Register now to get rid of these ads!

**New Barn Find, you will not believe this**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by taskforceranger506, Sep 16, 2006.

1. taskforceranger506

taskforceranger506

I know this has nothing to do with this site...But some of you might enjoy some history from WW II. At the bottom of the page you must see the videos of this tank being pulled out and the ehgines fired up after some cleaning out.

WW-II Trophy tank

14 September 2000, a Komatsu D375A-2 pulled an abandoned tank from its archival tomb under the bottom of a lake near Johvi, Estonia. The Soviet-built T34/76A tank had been resting at the bottom of the lake for 56 years. According to its specifications, it's a 27-tonne machine with a top speed of 53km/h.

From February to September 1944, heavy battles were fought in the narrow, 50 km-wide, Narva front in the northeastern part of Estonia. Over 100,000 men were killed and 300,000 men were wounded there. During battles in the summer of 1944, the tank was captured from the Soviet army and used by the German army. (This is the reason that there are German markings painted on the tank's exterior.) On 19 September 1944, German troops began an organised retreat along the Narva front. It is suspected that the tank was then purposefully driven into the lake, abandoning it when its captors left the area.

At that time, a local boy walking by the lake Kurtna Matasjarv noticed tank tracks leading into the lake, but not coming out anywhere. For two months he saw air bubbles emerging from the lake. This gave him reason to believe that there must be an armoured vehicle at the lake's bottom. A few years ago, he told the story to the leader of the local war history club "Otsing". Together with other club members, Mr Igor Shedunov initiated diving expeditions to the bottom of the lake about a year ago. At the depth of 7 metres they discovered the tank resting under a 3-metre layer of peat.

Enthusiasts from the club, under Mr Shedunov's leadership, decided to pull the tank out. In September 2000 they turned to Mr Aleksander Borovkovthe, manager of the Narva open pit of the stock company AS Eesti Polevkivi, to rent the company's Komatsu D375A-2 bulldozer. Currently used at the pit, the Komatsu dozer was manufactured in 1995, and has 19,000 operating hours without major repairs.

The pulling operation began at 09:00 and was concluded at 15:00, with several technical breaks. The weight of the tank, combined with the travel incline, made a pulling operation that required significant muscle. The D375A-2 handled the operation with power and style. The weight of the fully armed tank was around 30 tons, so the tractive force required to retrieve it was similar. A main requirement for the 68-tonne dozer was to have enough weight to prevent shoe-slip while moving up the hill.

After the tank surfaced, it turned out to be a 'trophy' tank, that had been captured by the German army in the course of the battle at Sinimaed (Blue Hills) about six weeks before it was sunk in the lake. Altogether, 116 shells were found on board. Remarkably, the tank was in good condition, with no rust, and all systems (except the engine) in working condition.
    This is a very rare machine, especially considering that it fought both on the Russian and the German sides. Plans are under way to fully restore the tank. It will be displayed at a war history museum, that will be founded at the Gorodenko village on the left bank of the River Narva.

Looking at the two tracked machines, the modern yellow Komatsu dozer is a reminder of how machine technologies have advanced, and the region's prospects of peace and prosperity have brightened.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some videos of her coming out of her watery grave and the Videos have been thru our SECURITY FOR VIRUS AND PASS SO DON'T WORRY ABOUT ANYTHING. THANKS FOR LOOKING AND HOPE YOU ALL ENJOY.

http://www.diving.ee/articles/images/T34-1.mpg

http://www.diving.ee/articles/images/T34-2.mpg

http://www.diving.ee/articles/images/T34-3.mpg

2. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

3. taskforceranger506

taskforceranger506

Where!!???!!!??? Lol.

4. Wow, that is the coolest fucking thing I have seen on here in a LONG time!!!

5. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

6. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Pretty damn cool!
    But 19,000 hrs on a Komatsu with no MAJOR repairs??? Hmmm....:rolleyes:

7. 21tat

21tat

Very cool story. Thanks.

8. neat story! Very cool! Thanks!

9. Spark Plug

Spark Plug
    from Duvall, WA

that's freakin' cool!

10. SnoDawg

SnoDawg

Way cool but that barn looks to be pretty wet...

Dawg

11. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

That would make a helluva lawn ornament!!

wow...preserved history!

12. Fidget

Fidget

Wow, heavy metal find!

13. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

thats so very kool!!!!!!! i found a old white wall stickin out of a gravel road an hour ago!!! not as kool:eek: ;)

14. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I can't believe the shape it is in. With the paint all intact to boot!

15. Lucky77

Lucky77

:eek: WOW:eek: now that was cool! thanks for sharing

16. mackster

mackster

That was cool! wonder what kind o fengine? DUH! LOL...

17. Carb-Otto

Carb-Otto
    from FINkLAND

In Estonia? When there are only Estonians and Russians using that bulldozer? Now THAT is truly amazing! :D
    Nice story, though.

Quite unbelieveable is also that someone really found few years ago helicopter wreck from the jungle of Vietnam, and regonized that one of the dead bodys near it, was Larry Thorne. He was regonized, not by a DNA sample, but from his dental records. He had a dental crown on his tooth number 18. Nowadays he is buried at Arlington National Cemetery.

18. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Quick damit! someone slap a H.A.M.B. decal on it.

Swankey Devils C.C.

19. KoppaK

KoppaK

Fuck my old boots that's incredible!!

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for posting that! Hope you all clicked on the 3 vedio links. That must have some real cold water that preseved the tank all these years.

21. wfopossum

wfopossum

Cool! A water tank!

22. jc

jc
    from arkansas

I looked this story up and they showed additional pictures, one of the inside of the turret, the pedals were still shiny, I don't think a tank would have stayed under water for 56 yrs and still have shiny pedals........makes me wonder......

23. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

Thats rad, I'm hoping to find my 32 that way. :D

24. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

Amazing that it's wheels and tracks still turn after all these years too. I think it was preserved by the peat. National Geographic has pictures of mummified prehistoric human sacrifice victims dug from Scottish peat bogs that look like they were planted yesterday.

25. Flatdog

Flatdog
    Member Emeritus

COOL BEANS Yea I am shouting on purpos.

26. Very Cool Piece Of History

27. wedgeii1

wedgeii1
    from california

All i've got to say...

BULLSHIT!!!

No rust? good paint? what 56yr ;Bull shit

28. DocsMachine

DocsMachine
    from Alaska

When something rusts, it's not the water that does the rusting, it's the oxygen IN the water that does it.

Peat bogs typically have a very low acidity, and very low absorbed oxygen unless the water's flowing or regularly refreshed. And if it WAS flowing and refreshed, it'd be a pond, not a peat bog.

Peat is decayed/decaying plant matter- that decay tends to absorb most of the local oxygen, leaving little left over to oxidize anything that's more durable than soft plants.

It's probably also fairly temperate and cool there too, further reducing oxidation.

So there's no reason at all the tank couldn't have been in pretty decent shape. Keep in mind, when it says "no rust" I'm sure it doesn't mean "no trace of any rust, even light surface rust". It probably means that there was some rust, but it was relatively light surface rust- buit not enough to, say, freeze up the turret or whatever.

Doc.

29. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

There was a story about a 50 Ford that dropped through the ice up by Madison WI in the early 60's and the two guys in it had dissappered without a trace. People figured that they went through the ice but weren't sure. They just pulled the car out this summer after a diver came upon it. It looked just like it did when it went in back in the early 60's. They said it was in such good shape because of the low oxygen levels in the water. Also seen a 1916 International tractor get pulled out of a quarry pond in Iowa in the early 90's. Looked pretty mint. The guys who were going to restore it waid the key then was to dry it out and clean it up as soon as possible or the air would ruin it rather quickly.

30. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Nah- oxegen,peat? I don't think so.

that there is a lake of gibbs...or possibly molasses.