Register now to get rid of these ads!

More homemade whitewalls - with pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Squablow, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Squablow

Squablow

Since i'm a trend-whore and everyone seems to be doing it, I figured I'd make some homemade whitewalls and take some pictures. I used Brewsir's Krylon method and I think it turned out really well, although we'll have to wait to see how long they hold up. Here's some pics.

Also, if you're ever over at my shop, don't accept a mixed drink from my neighbor, because he makes 'em really strong and I'm wasted. Now I gotta sit here and work my drunk off before I go home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Looks good so far.

3. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Smokin'..... Johnnie Rocka ran a pro-mod '49 Merc in the IHRA some time ago. He painted his slicks with spary paint, looked great and held up well....

4. catman

catman
    from El Reno

I guess since i'm a newbie I've not seen your ride before, very cool, WW's look good too, was it a more door ? how much is the chop ?

5. Bugman

Bugman

Looks good man :)

6. Squablow

Squablow

Thanks, glad you like it. It was always a two door sedan, this one I didn't have to convert. It's got a 4" chop which looks OK but I did it when I was 15 so the quality of the work is kinda poor, I'll have to redo a lot of the roof when I go through it again.

It's been painted for 10 years and the paintjob is showing it's age. I haven't driven it in a while and I just got the urge to pull it out this weekend and change a few things around. I put a different back bumper on it, pulled the spotlights off (got sick of those) and did up this set of wheels. Feels good to drive it again, I'll have to put insurance back on it this week.

7. RODMAN58

RODMAN58
    from VIRGINIA

I loved that pro mod merc. Cool and fast as stink! His paint stayed on those slicks pretty good. Pro mod is a great class.
    Rod

8. Sweats

Sweats

right on look good! easy to fix if ya kiss a curb also.

9. LilDuec

LilDuec

Send update pics! I'm curious just to see how long they last.

10. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Squaw:

What are ya gonna do with the spots?

B:confused:B

See ya at Pig N Piston?

11. Squablow

Squablow

I'll be at Pig N Piston for sure, either with this or my '64 Olds if it's done.

The spots are Unity's and I'll sell 'em cheap if you can use them, I just got sick of them after 10 years on the car.

Did you pick up that Plymouth toilet seat from Rashy at the drags, by chance?

12. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Shit my memory is getting bad, we talked about those. Nope I don't got it, I think that Louver Dude has it. It wouldn't fit in my borrowed car.

See ya in a couple!

B:cool:B

PUDDLE OUT!!!!!!!!!!

13. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

Was there a tech on the 'krylon method' that I missed?

14. Squablow

Squablow

Not really a tech, but here's the rundown on how I did this set, pretty simple.

I spent quite a bit of time prepping the tires for paint. I used 150 grit sandpaper on a DA and smoothed off all the lettering on the outside of the tire, if you leave it on, it gets in the way of taping.

I sanded the whole sidewall of the tire really good and I cleaned everything down with mineral spirits. Then I taped a line off on the bead of the rim and one on the outside of the tire. I used Krylon Fusion white which is supposed to hold up really well on rubber.

A clean and sanded tire surface is the key because it's really hard to get the tape to stick to the tire otherwise. After I pulled the tape off, I had quite a few little overspray whisp spots all around the outer edge of the tire where the tape didn't sit flat. I used a folded-over piece of sandpaper and carefully went around each tire sanding off the little overspray edges to give it a smooth outer edge (after the paint is dry of course, takes about an hour)

If you're really up close to the tire, you can see the outer edge isn't perfect, but it's pretty damned good. Plus, the whole shit maybe cost me $10 for paint and tape. I painted my rims afterward and added some trim rings and bullet lugs to get the full effect. Worked out good, Brewsir said his set had held up for two years and still looked good. Takes quite a bit of time though, with rims and tires painted I bet I spent at least 8 hours doing this.

15. I've been wanting to try that on some of mine. Let us know if they crack at all. That's the only problem I figured you'd have is the cracking from the sidewall moving around so much.

Looks awesome, real good job.

16. Squablow

Squablow

I will certainly keep everyone updated on how well they hold up. I've seen closeup pics of a couple sets done this way and they apparently held up really well over a year or two of use. Brewsir did this on his gold truck and they looked great even two years later. I'm sure rubbing a curb would mess it up, but it wouldn't be that hard to touch it up if it does get wrecked.

I might have to add this thread to my sig line.

17. I have some more specific questions while you're working off that buzz...

Exactly what kinda paint did you get?
    Did you make a stencil or just try to tape a perfect circle?

I almost forgot about that pic of brewsir's gold truck. Bitchen truck and great job on the wide whites.

18. Hah nevermind, just saw the date of your top post.. doubt he mixes his drinks THAT stiff.

19. Squablow

Squablow

Yeah, I'm off that buzz already.

The paint is Krylon Fusion, comes in a spray can, and the color was white. Gotta get the Fusion stuff, it's made to be flexible and is for plastic, rubber, glass, and other hard to paint shit.

As far as taping the circle goes, I taped an edge using the outside tread as a guide. Just below the tread on my tires was a line that went all the way around the tire in a circle, so I taped a 1" line from there in, and painted everything in between. Make sense? Take a look at your tires, there should be a line you can go off of.

If you didn't have any lines to go off of, you could tape two rounds of 2" tape using the rim bead as a guide, then use the edge created by the tape to mask from, and peel the inner circles of tape off to make an edge.

20. Drive Em

Drive Em

I did the tires on my "Old School" '93 Ford F-150 yeasterday, and they came out awesome. I sanded the tires with 150 grit sandpaper, and I wiped them with lacquer thinner until the rags came out clean. I used regular ole Krylon semi-flat white. I drove the truck around all day yesterday in the rain and mud, and all this morning, and they look great. I will keep you informed as to how they hold up as well. These tires will need replacing in a month or so, so I figured what the heck. As a side note, I painted the M/T part of my M/T drag slicks a couple of years ago on my "Gasser style" '66 Falcon, and the white paint still looks as if were applied yeasterday, so I think the white paint will hold up well. If anyone is interested in some pics of the tires on my truck, I can post some later.

21. 21tat

21tat

Let's see some pics of that truck!

22. Yeah, how are they holdin' up?

23. converseandbowlingshirts

converseandbowlingshirts
    from Eugene, OR

My buddy Pete, a 65 y.o. hot rodder who never went street rod, uses snow-seal to make his white walls! He just get the wheel spining and puts the wet brush up to it. No need to mask or anything. This guy has built a model-a every year for the last six years! He spent a whopping $1300 on the last one. He is building an aluminum body speeder now with dual carbs and a shaved head.

24. rat29

rat29
    from California

Here's some diy www's on an A I bought.
    Thought it added a lot of character.
    The only ones I've ever done are the 5 minute ones you get when you shine the tires
    [​IMG]

25. Zumo

Zumo

Bring back an old post but I took a stab at sanding my side walls tonight. It came out ok. It'll do until I get some chrome reverse with thin whitewalls. Put it up against the "shop/push truck" (I have neither a shop or a car to push :( )

You'll see in the pics that the whitewall under the black didn't line up evenly and the edge got all wavy. I figure I could that it up with some Fusion Krylon.

Anywho, look, admire, piss on it.

Attached Files:

26. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

NOT to hyjack this post but just a "F W I W" there is a product used to seal the top of mobile home roofs it may be called "snow seal" like what ---converseandbowlingshirts --- stated, (it's out in the garage and it is to COLD for me to go out and look) but anyway,...it is a rubberized white liquid that you "paint" on with a foam brush and it sticks and stays --almost-- forever!!! the "prep" time is slicing, by razor blade, or sanding off all the lettering and lines where you want the whitewall to be... THEN you clean, clean, and did I say CLEAN??? the sidewall with laquer thinner, then tape off where you want the "wall", then let it dry, then one more coat and your done!!! The thing about this product is... it stretches with the tire! it does NOT CRACK!!! I did it to my VW, my Chopper, and my '49 Chevy, lasted 2 years so for with NO cracks yet... hope this helps out some?!?!.....Ken

27. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Trailer paint for home made www. Hell this place is a honky ass message board! To cool.

28. oldskoolin

oldskoolin

That a good idea chopperimpala. Kool seal is what they have in FL and blackjack. DOes it look weird since its so thick? Also what kind of VW?:cool:

29. snowman

snowman

I want to do something to my tires this weekend. I've already sanded down the letters and got as much whitewall exposed, but it's not enough. I was considering buying the whitewall paint from europe, but I'm still open to cheaper options...Keep this post going guys and thanks in advance.

30. Jimv

Jimv

I ran a post on this method but it turned into a shouting match & was pulled!!lol
    I did it on my T & it looked great but didn't hold up at all, As a matter of fact i ended up grinding them, not as wide as paint but it looks great.
    JimV