Register now to get rid of these ads!

drop yer c@cks and grab yer socks, its the monthly meeting of bangers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fur biscuit, Sep 1, 2006.

1. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So what have you all been up to? let it out.

I finally got my T back and running, very unimpressed with some replacement modern parts. I swear the new parts you get for T's more of a kit than a plug and play.

Been dealinge with some carb/ fuel issues. At anything below 70 degrees out the intake damn near ices up (looks kinda cool with all that white frosty stuff all over it, but runs like crap). So i am going to deal with that. But the basic out come is: I need a 1.5" barrel throat Miller/ Master/ or Winfield carb (as opposed to the 1 7/8" i am currently running)

I will be taking the stubborn bugger on the Lucky Bastards run this sunday and lowering standards over at La Revolucion this saturday. I will put a few more miles on it, then this winter it is going to get the 6 month enima rebuild. I have to scan the draings i have for the body, etc.

HeyitsNate buillt one of the purdyest A banger mills i have seen in a long time, kinda makes me all warm and fuzzy thinkning about it...it going to get a good stretching this weekend too.

so what is up...

2. j ripper

j ripper
    from napa ca.

hey man not too hip to the banger stuff. i do however have a b motor in my roadster. lookin forward to meetin ya this weekend. live in the same town and haven't met. take care josh

3. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

I dig your title!

4. Good and bad news this month.

Here is my 'rebuilt' quickchange well on its way to self destruction coming back from the Hayride.

[​IMG]

Turns out that the locking washer which is in between the two locking nuts that holds the pinion in had no locating tab. The nuts unwound, which in turn caused excessive play on the pinion. This ripped the threads out of the nuts leaving the pinion unsupported. Finally I'm sure you can imagine the damage that has been caused to the crown wheel and pinion.

moving on to some good news, well for me at least, is my new new exhaust manifold and system.
    I have designed it myself with every tube length, diameter, pairing and position all being there for a reason.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have had the new system mimic a stock 'A' exhaust in the rear portion. Looks like a stock system from the back with only the larger pipe bore being a giveaway to the trained eye. Even uses the original exhaust mount point.

[​IMG]

A detail shot. Notice how the primary has been scalloped for clearance of the manifold nut.

[​IMG]

5. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

nice job on the exhaust
    is that stainless?

zach

6. Yes, hopefully a system for life!

7. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

very well executed! but why muffler?...maybe a cut out?:D

8. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

i guess august was a pretty eventful banger month for everyone

i finally got my new/old car on the 5th and have been playing with it ever since...put a few hundred miles on it so far
    heres my thread with video if anyone missed it
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127636
    little by little i am fixing all the bugs and getting it running better
    checked the plugs last night and the compression.. 140lbs in all 4 holes...seems good to me!
    i put a tractor muffler on it but im not sure i like how it sounds...i might try just a straight 2" pipe out the back
    still running the god awful alternator as i dont want to rewire the whole front of the car right now without having a stock of cloth covered wire...so it can stay how it is...runs alright with this for now
    ive got it idling pretty good now and it has some pep to it...1st gear about 20-25 if you punch the throttle it'll let out a chirp and it chrips the tires into 2nd and even 3rd gear if im the only one in the car....so im impressed
    its odd now that ive had it. i got my other car out with a 53 merc V8. that car which i thought was fast...well, isnt...i think this 4 banger would run circles around it...thats a stock motor but it just makes more noise and doesnt really go anywhere ...where the little 4 just pulls and pulls..i dont even realize it and im doing 65 on the back roads just cruising around
    its hard owning a car that i dont feel i should change things on as id like it to have some parts changed for drivability...but i want to leave it as much how it is as i can untill i figure out the history on it and know what was done int he past and whats recent changes....
    archeological digging has turned up what looks like holes in the original dash (under this aluminum one on the pass side) that appear to match a "muroc timing association" tag...not 100% sure of that though as i only have a repop of the one with the sedan on it
    ive been collecting all along to build a motor (diamond B)...and finally am going to get a cast iron winfield head tomorrow morning...only fitting that i have this...seeing as i have red hair and this is a 7-1 winfield RED head :rolleyes: ...

now if it wasnt raining here in the northeast USA i could run this thing over the 3 day weekend!! :mad: ....
    Zach

9. It did cross my mind, but its just as easy to drop the whole system off.

In theory that engine should be a real healthy spec.

10. I've been saving the pictures of the fours that were running at Bonneville.

Does anyone know what their speeds were?

Hop Up?

[​IMG]

TV/HotRodVon?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. UKAde

UKAde
    from Oxford UK

well lots in the last month,, the A and i went to France with 14 other pre war cars had a great time,,
    put the a in a ditch ,,noone was hurt car undamaged
    it was funny,, the car was in gear hand brake off turned on the ignition the retarded the ignition bugger me it fired started and launched me in the ditch

still we had a couple of french guys almost fighting each other to pull it out of the ditch,,

had a bizzare problem with tracking in the dizzy cap it had to be cleaned out once a day

it did nearly 1000 miles in 10 days ,,

Austin is better since I found the points wernt opening far enough now it goes like a train but after driving in the nice quiet model a the austin rattles and sounds like the bottom end is about to destroy itself ,,, thats just the way they are

and now a new french 4 banger has appeared in my workshop I have just today bought a 1926 amilcar 1100cc of french sports car pics soon

12. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

I believe Morty turned 116 in the Hop Up lakester. Shit-hot, or what!

My banger-fun has been simply driving the ass off the coupe most of this last month. Just how I like it.
    Went to the Hayride earlier in the month, changed the gears in the quickie and blasted up the hill at Brooklands, then changed them back and cruised back to the campsite alongside 4ever4 (in front of, actually) until I pulled over to help an amigo that had mullered his transmission. Clark then, and only then, over-took me. :p
    Idle moments this month have been spent wondering what work to do on the coupe over the winter, though I know I need to spend some time and effort working on my daily, a '66 Volvo Amazon.

I think I've got some new video footage somewhere as well. I'll have a look and post it if I can find it.

13. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Scalloped??? Is that the southern way of saying smacked with a big feckin' hammer? :D

Nice pipework, by the way.

14. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

I jumped the gun yesterday and posted some pics of my new look,

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129020

but yesterday afternoon my new V8 water pump took a dive. The extra weight from the fan and adapter/spacer I made blew the bearing out and it's leaking like a sieve. I ordered the sealed ball bearing, no end play pump today, hopefully to solve all problems I'll ever have with this thing! And it'll look more traditional to boot

Still looking for a good stock radiator

still waiting on backordered Mallory distributor

2 WEEKS TIL BILLETPROOF! Time's a ticking!

15. oz ute

oz ute

hi. a big month for me. after 5 years have decided to sell the ute.it looks like it may go today. but after a lot of talking i have just got an original model t that a mate had. plans are just to drive it as is for now. i can pm someone pix to post as i have no idea. thanks.

16. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

sure PM and I'll give you my e-Mail adress to send them to, I'd like to see it

17. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

18. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

thanks! I keep meaning to get some interior shots, got the panels all made up to the roofline, and that rubber floor mat really set it off, much better than the exposed wood boards! Gotta shine up my sill plates (well, that and replace the subrails, but that's more work than I have time for now) and it'll be luxury accomodations!

19. Over-took you?

Your maneuver was so last minute we nearly had an all Banger pile-up with a '49 Ford in the rear to finish us all off!

I wasn't drving either my "special Friend" was...

20. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

Well after tinkering with the old drag A, I've found that the tranny is junked and the rear end is noisy, like the bearings are shot, needs a radiator, this ones full of holes.....soooo I'm about to strip the motor out of it and lovingly place it in my tailjob. The old Drag A still has alot of cool stuff on it, such as cut down wheels- now 15"ers and they run true, chrome dropped and drilled front beam and radius rods that have been split and the way tall cast alum. headlight stands, also the funky little windshied and the riveted and soldered fuel tank in the rear and the front tank is a roadster one, some pics

Attached Files:

21. Mad-Lad

Mad-Lad
    from California

I thought you guys might like to see this. I took these two pictures at a local event. I dont know anything about the car or motor other than it sounded real good and didnt look like there were anything newer than 1940 on the whole car.(except the ignition and the alternator) It had two 81's on it.
    Can you guys identify the overhead?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Harry Armenius Miller

23. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

man you too? chit these v-8 water pumps suuuuck!!!!

24. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

fur biscuit's speedster is in my garage...you think i should get creative with a woodburning kit? or howsabout some pink varnish?

25. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

Not exactly the last month, more like the last 4 months, I'm playing catch up here!

I finally got my Sport Coupe on the road at the end of April and reckon I've rattled up in the region of 1,000 miles or so since. I've had a few minor electrical problems and a busted window crank but apart from that it's been fairly trouble free.

The motor is a Jay Steel/Taylor Engine built A block, it runs a single SR-B Winfield carb (soon to be a pair), Winfield head, Brierley cam, full pressure oiling etc, stock gearbox and a Kiwi quickchange put together by Nervous Bob.

First outing was at the Rockabilly Rave indoor show back in March, it wasn't quite ready for the road so it went on a trailer, though I did get to drive it round the site a few times.
    [​IMG]

First on the road trip was to The Fields and Forests Reliability Run, this shot is from the tower at the 101(?) Bomb Squadrons airfield.
    [​IMG]

And this is from the infamous five abreast A drags!
    [​IMG]

Next up was the Nostalgia Naionals, more time not running than running thanks to a faulty voltage regulator.
    [​IMG]

Though I did get round to race a few times. This was the only time I was in front of Artiki, he deservedly took the 1st place trophy in the 4 banger meltdown.
    [​IMG]

My best time of the weekend was 19.03 at 76mph. Pretty pleased with that for a relatively fresh car, I know there's more in there though.
    [​IMG]

The NSRA Supernationals was next on the list. Chuck Vranas was in the country on behalf of Street Rodder magazine and took a number of shots of the car for potential inclusion in a future issue of Street Rodder. Fame and fortune at last!
    [​IMG]

Last time out was the Hot Rod Hayride and the hillclimb at Brooklands. An absolute honour to be allowed to run up the test hill.
    [​IMG]

I think that's me all caught up. Any progress/improvements/failures will be reported in the correct monthly fashion from now on!

26. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

:D :D :D

27. Can he fold hospital corners too?

Nothing much here - been over to Belcher Engineering however and they've now cast some rocker covers and manifolds for their new F head...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Here're the pictures from OzUte. Looking good....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's a great looking backdrop....

29. I went passed Belchers last week and was going to pop in on the way back but it was to late.

Might have the chance this week.

[​IMG]

This is I believe Roy Creel's car.

30. Ooh - that T tourer! I must get on with mine...
    Fancy a week break in the countryside Darren? I'm sure I'll find you something to do?