Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rebuilt generator SMOKING :(

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonnyhotrod, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Jonnyhotrod

Jonnyhotrod

I hooked up my newly rebuilt generator today to fire off the coupe after adjusting the push button tranny cables and refilling the fluid, and noticed a spark when I connected the battery. The key was off. I then checked the generator and noticed a bit of smoke wafting out off it and immediately disconnected the battery cables and then the lead from the generator to the battery, then reconnected the battery to start it. Any ideas why this whould be live w/ the key off? Is is supposed to be a constant hot wire? This is the first time I've hooked this up since getting it back from the shop, so I dunno if I just needed to get it spinning to clear it out or what. I was running a little late for work (I'd get so much more done if I didn't have to go there ;)), so I didn't get a chance to hook it back up and re-checking after taching the motor out a few times (damn I love that sound :)). It's a 12V Chrysler if that's of any help. Any suggestions or advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Jonny

2. Dirty2

Dirty2

Sounds like the fiend relay or the regulator is stuck. Pull the cover off and check the points. File if necessary.

3. Jonnyhotrod

Jonnyhotrod

THANK YOU! I know what I'll be doing tomorrow morning.

Jonny