Register now to get rid of these ads!

tech request . . . Brake an turn sig wiring for dualelement bulbs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FiddyFour, Aug 13, 2006.

1. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

Cant seem too wrap my head around how to wire brake and turn lights to a single bulb with 2 elements and not end up with both sides flashing at the same time!! HELP! lol :)

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Fiddy,
    Is this a 5 or 7 wire switch??

3. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

heh. . . Actualy i was thinking about using a DPST switch, an a momentary contact switch. . .

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

5. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Here's a good schematic....

Attached Files:

6. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

The problem is "dividing" your brake light from your turn signal since your (I assume) want to use the "bright" filament for both functions. The factory does this with those fancy 7 wire turn signal switches. When you don't have that luxury things get a little confusing (at least to me). So I used a couple relays which are basically the same as your double pole switch. The way I see it (in my head) you're gonna need at least two double pole switches. The brake signal will run through each (you must divide your "stop" pulse into separate left and right circuits) these will be wired (typically) in the normally closed position. This way when you step on your brake both brake lights -light. When you flip one switch you are changing the way it gets it's power - in the normally closed position it gets power from your brake pedal +12v, but when you flip the switch you are supplying power (to that one side) from a turn signal flasher - and viola THAT side will flash EVEN when you have your foot on the brake pedal. I think this is what you want.

It's hard to describe this in words. I'll see if I can dig up a schematic if that will help.

Attached Files:

7. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

8. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Go to Haywire and Ken has the switch you need. Looks like a simple toggle switch but seperates the signals and brake lights just like the factory column stalk does. Have used bunches and they work great. Ken sells them as a kit with complete wiring schematic.
    The Dickster

9. lolife

lolife

I use one of those cheap $20 levers.

10. squirrel

squirrel

you can't.....sorry! but the other posts offer some good suggestions.

11. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

DPDT - now we're talkin!

12. squirrel

squirrel

DPDT won't do it either

13. lolife

lolife

Need a quad pole, double throw (QPDT) [is that a word??]

14. squirrel

squirrel

15. bradley.w.lusink

bradley.w.lusink

or, you can go to a trailer supply place an buy the small adapter that wires into your harness and does it for you. simple

16. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

*Sigh* hand signals are lookin REAL good for now :) thanks for the replies fellers

17. Think of your rear lights in terms of 'dim', and 'bright'.
    You know the 'dim' are simply running lights, and are just wired with the light switch.
    The 'bright' part needs to provide both turn and brake functions, but both are independent.
    So, the feed to each has to be divided as to side.
    Each side has two feeds: brake and turn.
    Power to each comes either from the brake switch or the TS switch. This is where you have to have a special switch. The output is single, but the switch has to divide the INPUT, which is why the seven pole switch (remember, nobody wants the FRONT lights to be brakes lights as well).
    So, try to follow (as I try to explain, which is harder I'm not sure...)
    Brake light feed (defined as the power from the brake light switch) goes to one pole of the TS switch input.
    Flasher feed goes to one different pole of the TS switch as well.
    The TS switch output is to FOUR points, the two rear lamps, and the two front lamps
    When you brake, the TS switch connects the brake input to the two rear output.
    When you signal, the input is from the flasher to two outputs, one rear and one front (hopefully the same side), and the input from the brake switch is cut off for that side, but not from the other side, which will operate as a brake light if necessary.
    Confused?? I thought so.
    Best bet on the cheap?? Cut down a TS switch from a car with tail-brake-turn lights like yours (usually any seventies US product) and mount it in or under the dash/seat/where ever is convenient. Wire it following a diagrm for that car.
    Cosmo

18. squirrel

squirrel

hey cosmo...this is a simpler way to explain it

[​IMG]

A right turn
    B stop
    C left turn

19. lolife

lolife

Schematics look hard, but like anything, it ain't rocket science.

20. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

This schematic came from the Rodders Round Table _ I think it was from Skip Readio, and works well. Watson Street Works also sells this system which uses a small toggle switch and the more expensive one uses a timer relay in place of one of the relays so you don't drive for miles with your turn signal on like all thoise old ladies in Florida.

Attached Files:

21. Mart

Mart

If you use one of those cheap ($20) chrome switches it sorts the tricky wiring out for you. You get a diagram with the switch.
    If you use a simple switch, (on off on) You need to use a special relay (lucas used to make em) or I devised a circuit using 2 relays and 2 flasher units.
    I'll look to see if I can find the quicky sketch I did for it.
    Mart.

Found it:
    [​IMG]

This system works well, and can be made using commonly available parts.

Mart.

22. Yup, that's simple. And less than 1/10 of 1% of today's driver's know these signals.
    In addition, unless the car in question is licenced "Antique", AND was not equipped from the factory, turn signals are required by law (in Illinois).
    Hey, I think things should be simpler, too, but I know the cops and the rest of the world really don't care if you don't know how to signal, they'll hit you, or ticket you, just like anyone else
    Cosmo

23. squirrel

squirrel

Down here in AZ where the sun shines year round (and we can leave the car's windows open most of the time), more people seem to know what hand signals mean....they are even part of the written license test, and are allowed for use by all drivers. I didn't know you couldn't use them everywhere. Interesting.

24. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

<sarcasm>

squirrel, can you explain your schematic a little better? Yours seems way more complicated.

</sarcasm>

25. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Aw hell man, just throw two lights on each side in the back. One is for brakes, tail and the second one is for turn, tail.
    The brake lights power come directly from the brake light switch and the dim part of the balb is powered from the head light switch.
    The turn signal power also comes from the brake light switch, but then goes to your double throw switch (on-off-on) as the power in feed. (off position) and one turn signal is powered through one side of your switch (both front and rear turn) and the other side turn is powered through the other side of your switch. (both front and rear) The dim side of the balbs use the same wires as the dim side of the brake lights.
    Gene

26. most use the turn signal switch as a splitter. one wire to each side and the switch will do the rest.

27. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

So your sitting at a corner at night with your brakes on and the signal on and your tailights on. You have two Tailight filiments on each side, a brake light filiment on at each side and someone behind you is supposed to know that there's a tailight flashing in there too? Sorry, but it ain't going to happen in one light housing. Dual tailights are really not cool in most old cars, You need to interrupt the power to whiichever side is flashing and that's only going to happen with one of the better schematics above.

28. mustangsix

mustangsix

Fiddyfour, the easiest way to do this is to use a trailer light converter. On a lot of newer cars you have separate turn and brake lights. the converrter lets you run those inputs to a trailer light with a single bulb for both.
    [​IMG]

The input from the signals and the brake lights go into one side (to car) and come out the other end (to trailer) as a combined brake/turn light. These things cost less than $15 in most stores. I used one to get rid of a mass of wires and relays in an old Jag.

29. nobux

nobux

30. NoSurf

NoSurf

Does anyone have part numbers (NAPA) for those relays and flasher?

edit:

Looks like the trailer converter is what I am going to try.

NAPA Item#: BK 7551539

Price: $16.99