Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 08-11-2006, 10:38 PM   #1
raj4851

Default hidden hinge installation

Hey guys, I just got a hidden hinge set for my '39 sedan. I plan to use them in the conventional position instead of suicide. Does anyone know of any step by step articles on this installation. This is my first attempt at this. Thanks, Rod
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:49 PM   #2
choprods
Alliance Vendor

Location: Elmer,Mo.USA All the COOL... people on the HAMB have already been here,why haven't you?
Default Re: hidden hinge installation

ALL I can say for sure is the guys who make hidden hinges, should have to install every set they sell
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj4851
Hey guys, I just got a hidden hinge set for my '39 sedan. I plan to use them in the conventional position instead of suicide. Does anyone know of any step by step articles on this installation. This is my first attempt at this. Thanks, Rod
Old 08-11-2006, 11:25 PM   #3
T McG

Oh come on Kenny, he should just follow the easy to read instructions, after all, aftermarket parts come with instructions don't they? It would be tough to tell you step by step how to do it, but there are two important factors. 1- the pivot has to be as close to the outer sheetmetal as possible, and 2- they have to be inline with each other and as far apart as possible. Use a piece of round stock or threaded rod to keep the pivots inline or they will bind. Look at a car that doesn't have external hinges to see where they have the pivot points, and you should get the idea.

www.vintageautorepair.net
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-14-2006, 08:36 PM   #4
raj4851

Quote:
Originally Posted by choprods
ALL I can say for sure is the guys who make hidden hinges, should have to install every set they sell
Hey choprods, Thanks for the thought.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:38 PM   #5
raj4851

Quote:
Originally Posted by T McG
Oh come on Kenny, he should just follow the easy to read instructions, after all, aftermarket parts come with instructions don't they? It would be tough to tell you step by step how to do it, but there are two important factors. 1- the pivot has to be as close to the outer sheetmetal as possible, and 2- they have to be inline with each other and as far apart as possible. Use a piece of round stock or threaded rod to keep the pivots inline or they will bind. Look at a car that doesn't have external hinges to see where they have the pivot points, and you should get the idea.
Hey T McG, I appreciate the info. That helps. Thanks again, Rod
Old 08-15-2006, 12:19 AM   #6
AllSteel34
Grenade Inspector

I used Hagan's kit on my '34. I did what T McG recommends and ran allthread through the hinge pin bushings to line them up, then welded the hinge pockets to a support. The support tubes in the picture below sit inside the rear quarter panel just behind the B pillar. I then tied that into the rear wheelwell with two other tubes to stiffen the entire hinge assembly since I had to remove some of the inner structure from the B pillar to make everyting fit and install/remove the hinge pins. Now that it's all installed, the pins line up perfectly, the doors open and close like a new car, and the B pillar is rock solid. I may still have the instructions from my kit. If you want a copy, PM me and I will scan and e-mail them to you. Even if it's a different kit, it might help.

Chris

Click image for larger version

Name:	hinge.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	213836
online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:28 AM   #7
BigEd
Grenade Inspector

I think Hagan's also has a video available that shows how to do this. If you call and tell them you're interested in their kit but want to see what's involved first they will probably send you the video.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:47 PM   #8
Retrorod
Alliance Member

AllSteel34is right! When I did mine I also tied the two pieces together, I've seen some installations that bind so much you can barely open the doors. Another key is to keep the pins as close to the outer skin as possible as stated in TMcG's post. Good info.
But rather to skid in sideways,
Totally used up and worn out, shouting
'...man,what a ride!'

George Carlin
Old 07-18-2008, 10:40 AM   #9
39pontiaccoupe

I'm planning on starting my installation on my 39 Pontiac. This might be a dumb question but i'm going to use the conventional method ,not suicide. I have been reading the threads and looking at the instructions. I'm understanding that the hinge pocket mounts inside the door jamb and that the strap part of the hinge mounts into the body jamb and goes forward toward the front of the car. Very good info on the all thread and jam nutz for alignment. All comments appreciated,especially if you've successfully done one. Thanks
Old 07-18-2008, 11:01 AM   #10
Da Tinman
Alliance Member

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=272362

hinge how to^^^^

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=278167

latch how to^^^^

http://datinmanspeaks.blogspot.com/

Old 07-18-2008, 06:21 PM   #11
skidsteer
Alliance Member

You may not believe this, but my brother and I built mine from scratch, from plans I got on the internet, and they turned out cool! PM me, and if I can locate the directions for the ones I built, I'll give you some guidance.