Register now to get rid of these ads!

hidden hinge installation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raj4851, Aug 11, 2006.

1. raj4851

raj4851
    from Decatur Il

Hey guys, I just got a hidden hinge set for my '39 sedan. I plan to use them in the conventional position instead of suicide. Does anyone know of any step by step articles on this installation. This is my first attempt at this. Thanks, Rod

2. ALL I can say for sure is the guys who make hidden hinges, should have to install every set they sell:D

3. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

Oh come on Kenny, he should just follow the easy to read instructions, after all, aftermarket parts come with instructions don't they? It would be tough to tell you step by step how to do it, but there are two important factors. 1- the pivot has to be as close to the outer sheetmetal as possible, and 2- they have to be inline with each other and as far apart as possible. Use a piece of round stock or threaded rod to keep the pivots inline or they will bind. Look at a car that doesn't have external hinges to see where they have the pivot points, and you should get the idea.

4. raj4851

raj4851
    from Decatur Il

Hey choprods, Thanks for the thought. :)

5. raj4851

raj4851
    from Decatur Il

Hey T McG, I appreciate the info. That helps. Thanks again, Rod

6. AllSteel34

AllSteel34

I used Hagan's kit on my '34. I did what T McG recommends and ran allthread through the hinge pin bushings to line them up, then welded the hinge pockets to a support. The support tubes in the picture below sit inside the rear quarter panel just behind the B pillar. I then tied that into the rear wheelwell with two other tubes to stiffen the entire hinge assembly since I had to remove some of the inner structure from the B pillar to make everyting fit and install/remove the hinge pins. Now that it's all installed, the pins line up perfectly, the doors open and close like a new car, and the B pillar is rock solid. I may still have the instructions from my kit. If you want a copy, PM me and I will scan and e-mail them to you. Even if it's a different kit, it might help.

Chris

hinge.jpg

7. BigEd

BigEd

I think Hagan's also has a video available that shows how to do this. If you call and tell them you're interested in their kit but want to see what's involved first they will probably send you the video.

8. Retrorod

Retrorod

AllSteel34is right! When I did mine I also tied the two pieces together, I've seen some installations that bind so much you can barely open the doors. Another key is to keep the pins as close to the outer skin as possible as stated in TMcG's post. Good info.

9. 39pontiaccoupe

39pontiaccoupe

I'm planning on starting my installation on my 39 Pontiac. This might be a dumb question but i'm going to use the conventional method ,not suicide. I have been reading the threads and looking at the instructions. I'm understanding that the hinge pocket mounts inside the door jamb and that the strap part of the hinge mounts into the body jamb and goes forward toward the front of the car. Very good info on the all thread and jam nutz for alignment. All comments appreciated,especially if you've successfully done one. Thanks

10. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

11. skidsteer

skidsteer

You may not believe this, but my brother and I built mine from scratch, from plans I got on the internet, and they turned out cool! PM me, and if I can locate the directions for the ones I built, I'll give you some guidance.