Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech: Self-adjusting 39 Lincoln Brakes, 2" shoes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chrisntx, Aug 4, 2006.

1. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

These shots show Wilson Welding 1939 Lincoln backing plates adapted to Model A spindles. First pic shows that the center hole in the backing plates is too big for the A spindle. The 4 mounting holes are not where they need to be.

The second pic shows a piece of 4" pipe turned down in the lathe to make the spacer. You can get valve seats to add to the spindles for the grease seal to ride on.

The magazines suggest wallowing out the mounting holes with a file but you can do better.
    The third pic shows the spacer welded in, the mounting holes welded shut and new holes drilled. For 1937 to 48 spindles, the backing plates bolt up and no adapters are needed.

The fourth pic shows the assembled brake complete with the self adjusting parts. The brake shoes are 12" by 2" for 1976 Chev Big Station Wagon rear wheel brakes. The wheel cylinder is a 1 1/8" front from a 1964 F-250. (The 1/2 ton has 1 1/16") The bigger wheel cylinder gives more of a 'power brakes' feel.

The brake drum used is 1940 Ford. Henry put 1 3/4" shoes in these drums but they are more than 2" wide. You get more swept area using ALL of the drums usable surface.
    The self adjusting parts are also from the 76 Chev 12" brakes. If you dont have the self adjusting arm for 12" shoes, you can get all you need from the more common El Caminos and other Chevys from the 70s. The springs and all the small parts are the same, cut and weld to extend the adjusting arm to fit 12" shoes.

There was a magazine article recently promoting the Lincoln brake kits for more than $3000! and those brakes are not self adjusting. The article does not state how wide the shoes are in that expensive kit.
    Bob Wilson charged $150 for the backing plates, the shoes were $13.88, the wheel cylinders were $11.88, the small parts kits was less than $5, turning the 1940 drums was $7.50 each, and I got new star wheels, they are inexpensive too. The 1" master cylinder (I used 77 Thunderbird) was about $30, A new 20' stick of stainless steel tubing cost $18 and a dozen Stainless brake line fittings are $2 each. (Advance Auto wanted $2.65 each for mild steel fittings)

Total is less than $300 for the front brakes, master cylinder and all the stainless brake line and fittings. Cost of wheel bearings, races and seals is not included in the $300. The original Model A wheels still fit as do all 5 on 5 1/2 wheels.

Attached Files:

2. Frank

Frank

Have you had any road time on them yet? Just wondering how they perform.

3. Mart

Mart

Thanks for the down-to earth tech.
    I didn't know the 2" shoes would fit in the Ford drum.
    Mart.

4. cool , i love posts like this

5. gashog

gashog

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

7. Dah Fish

Dah Fish

Bruce -- 37 years ago I sold you a 32 5 window body. What ever happened to it? Ed Weldon 23.weldon at comcast.net

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Holy Cow! Ed! Been wondering what was up with you since you ran away to Mexico to join the circus. Saw a pic of you running your roadster in a R&C annual about a hundred years ago...last sighting.
    Same course the 5-window took with you...found a roadster, stored it away!
    It is sitting in a toolshed with secret removable walls for access (Rabid coyote in there too, for all you Hambers...I trained him to walk around the tripwires for the Claymores, too.)
    I still have the receipt with your signature...I think it was $275 bucks. I bought it at the peak of the "Streetrod" fad and really got hosed on that price...probably not 100 in scrap there...
    It is still in good shape and reflooring it looks a lot easier now with Brookstone and such out there. A Hamber has offered to give it a new home someday. Guess the kid is out of grad school now... Still have Sandy and dachshunds??

Bruce

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. blackout

blackout

Excellent post, thank you. Should this thread be added to the tech archive?

10. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Five years now. Working good!

11. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

Thanks for posting this, there is alot of valuable info here.

12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

My Son has them on the front of his rpu with Buick drums, and they work great. We have bought a few things from Bob Wilson and the guy is an absolute pleasure to deal with in all respects. Makes some nice stuff and is very helpful with info after the sale.

It is guys like Bob who help keep this hobby alive. :)

Don

13. saved this one for future use!

14. manyolcars

manyolcars

One thing not mentioned is the top anchor bolt hole. Wilson Welding supplies the plates with a round hole that needs to be vertically slotted so the shoes can be centered

15. sunbeam

sunbeam

The self adjuster will work better if you turn the bottom spring over. The spring as installed will pretty much lock the adjuster.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018