Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chrysler Plainsman Show Car For Sale

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Benzine440, Jul 20, 2006.

1. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Probably wouldn't be that hard to build one...you'd need a '55'/56/'57 Lincoln 2-door hardtop for the body, a '57/'58'/'59 Mercury hardtop for the roof, and of course, need to turn it around backward, a pair of '57/'58 Chrylser tail fins, a pair of '56 Chrysler tailights, a '48/'49 Cadillac rear bumper, a '60's Pontiac wagon tail gate and a Pontiac split grille of later years (straight bars could be hand built), and a '57 Buick front bumper...the rest you'd have to make up as you went along...

Good Luck...

R-

2. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Unborn calf skin!!! Can't you just hear the screams from PETA?? :D

3. Squablow

Squablow

For the amount of money they're going to want for that thing, you think they could actually pull it out of the garage and take a couple decent pics of it? Pretty pathetic, looks like they spent about 2 minutes taking pics of the actual car and filled in the rest with factory photos.

Super neat car though, I wonder what it'll sell for.

4. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

It would really surprise me if it even made the reserve. Nice piece of history. Stu

5. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

Ya gotta wonder what condition this thing is really in. I have seen more pics for a $500 car.....

6. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I umderstand the car has provenance, but it really looks kinda "One piece at a time " like to me... Doesn't flow all that well

7. Muttley

Muttley

That thing is cool, seems strange it's being sold on E-bay instead of some place like Barrett Jackson.

8. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Wonder what the drivetrain is in that POS.:)

9. Wonder what the other car is in the picture? You can just see the tail end of what is probably another showcar.

10. rattlecanrods

rattlecanrods

The silver car on the farside of the wagon is a '56 Nash concept car by PininFarina, which sold for $225k in May. I am puzzled by the apparent conept car on the nearside though...

11. That car was being re-fitted for left hand drive or some such thing at Hopperstead Customs in Belvidere Il. a few years back. The late Bill Sauders told me it was a driver in Austrailia or New Zealand for a while.
    The calfskin looks strange.

12. It looks a lot like a GM/Pontiac concept car from 1954 or so.

13. Foul

Foul

If that's Joe Bortz that's selling it (and it might - he wheels and deals in those show cars from the 1950s, though mostly GM), the car in the foreground might be the Biscayne show car from 1955, which he's either finished restoring or getting close to finishing.
    dan

EDIT: No, nevermind, it's not the Biscayne. But it is the Bortz Collection that's selling it.

14. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

I'm diggin the hinged fender.

15. mercury Bill

mercury Bill

The original interior included many sections of unborn baby calfskin hide..= Nasty

16. PowDeb

PowDeb

The car is being sold at the RM Auction in Phoenix, Friday 1/22/10. More great photos on the RM site. Also, Old Cars Weekly has a great story about the Plainsman.

17. PowDeb

PowDeb

The other car in the photo is the 1955 LaSalle Sedan. The 1955 LaSalle Roadster was featured UNRESTORED at the 2008 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance with several of the other GM concept cars for the 100th Anniversary of General Motors.

18. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley