Register now to get rid of these ads!

anyone using one of those water pump risers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by throttlein, Jul 9, 2006.

1. throttlein

throttlein

I'm thinking about getting one. Pro's & Cons? Does anyone besides Pete & Jakes carry these?

2. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I am using a Snow White industries unit on my sbc. I assume hat is what you are talking about since you did not say what yours was for or include a link to show us..

3. throttlein

throttlein

sbc in a 31 tudor. My fan is pretty low on the rad.

4. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I use one of these ... on every 32 project ...

ZIPS water pump riser. Takes a Chevrolet 6 cylinder pump and has the alternator and A/C brackets cast into the housing. Just about everyone I know with a 32 Ford and a SBC uses them ... :D

[​IMG]

I have a 18 inch 7 blade fan on my 32 ... using the riser ... :)

5. throttlein

throttlein

where do I get one of those zips risers?

6. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

The Zips are a good one to use. I would recommend it over what I have, for one reason. mine used an Opel waterpump and has a metric fan pattern, which is fine if you run a new style aftermarket fan. if you do like I did and use a factory one, it will require modifications.... I did not use the Zips because I did not want the extra accy bracket tabs and was not sure if they could be cut off.

7. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

The brackets can be cut/ground off ... if you want :)

Most good street rod shops sell them. Or on line you can go to Parr Automotive.
    Parr Automotive sells the ZIPS riser ... http://www.parrautomotive.com/
    Is the web site . They sell them for $229 ...

Click on the ON - LINE catalog and then go to the brand/manufacturer and pull the list down to ZIPS ... and then hit search ...

8. Bugman

Bugman

This is the first time I've seen such a thing. Neat :)

9. TerryT35

TerryT35
    from Minnesota

Has anybody used one with a 3 duece set up? Does it clear the front
    oil filler tube,carb and thermostat housing? This is of course using the
    alt and a/c mounts.
    Thanks in advance!

10. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I stole this photo from Boone's photo album ...
    He is using 6 carbs ... and had some issues getting a water neck to work ... with his intake. Pretty engine ... isn't it :D

Zips has a very complete parts list with the instructions and I use the themostat housing they recommend ... it goes straight up. Like the one on the photo below shows. I like it so much ... I use it on about everything. Eliminates a LOT of issues ...

[​IMG]

11. OFT

OFT

Been a while, I used a ZIP's cast iron unit. This was before they went the alum. route. Worked great for around 9 years in my dd 29AA. Broke at the alt. mount and could not be welded. Only reason I did not get a new one is it gave me reason to go BBC.

Earl

12. LOCO_LOUIE

LOCO_LOUIE
    from Ontario,Ca

i have never seen one of these what is it purpose ? SPACE FOR ELECTRIC FAN

13. OFT

OFT

It raises the stock fan around 7" I think, been like 18 years since I broke mine.

14. Here's another one.

I think it's a Snow White, but am not sure.

It's on a 29 my pal is building for another guy.

Yeah, I know, the welds on the firewall are beyond ugly.
    The car owner got a nice little Miller 110V MIG and wanted to do some welding so my pal let him.

Next lesson covers the use of the 4" grinder....:D

Attached Files:

15. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

It's so you do NOT HAVE TO USE a electric fan ... :rolleyes:
    The Zips raises the fan center 5 and 1/2 inches. On a 32 and most Model A's ... the largest fan use you can use is 13 or 14 inches without hitting the lower radiator hose ... with the ZIPS ... I can ran a 18 inch fan.

The area circle of a 13 inch fan is 132.7 inches ...
    The area circle of a 18 inch fan is 254 inchs ... almost double the 13 inch fan ... so I want to use the largest fan I can ... :)

16. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

C9 ... it's a ZIP too ...
    The Snow White ones are like Boones ...

17. Figures . . . what the heck do I know about SBC's....:eek:

Regardless, cool idea.

Wuzzat a pun?:D

18. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I have run these ZIPS since the late 70's or early 80's.
    They were iron
    Then they were aluminum ( but just like the iron ones in shape )
    Now they are a new casting and made of aluminum.

I own at least one of each ... that's the ONLY reason I know so much about these risers ...

:rolleyes:

19. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

As Deuce said, this allows you to run a mechanical fan in your hotrod and not an electrical. if you are trying to achieve a semi-nostalgic look you dont want to run electric fans (if you have no hood) since they were not available to my knowledge in the 50's or early 60's. (ya neither were these.. but its a trade off. ). I know mine and Deuces cars run cool as can be with them

20. Bugman

Bugman

Looks like there is also room to run a cam driven Hilborn fuel pump...

21. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

The neatest I have seen was a guy who simply made a "Z" type spacer to raise up his stock waterpump.

22. 5string

5string

Where can I buy a Snow White riser? We've got one of the Zips from Pete and Jake's and the alternator mount won't clear the oil fill tube in the front of the intake. 350 sbc in 32 roadster.

What did hot rodders do to cool a sbc in a 32 Ford before elec. fans and water pump risers?

23. 49willard

49willard
    from Maine

Anyone run the Zip's with a three groove crank pulley to run power steering and AC? Was the PS pump the old saginaw and was it powered by the rear most pulley groove or the forward most pulley groove? I want to run it in a 49 F-1 with a 350, 700R4, 3.70 9 inch rear and want to tow up to 5000#. I am concerned about adequate cooling. I will run a new radiator, shroud, and 18 inch fan. anybody done this?

24. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

To answer this guys question about if the 3 duece set up and the oil fill tube clears on the Zips pump riser..the answer is

1. the 3 duece set up clears
    2. the oil fill tube does not.
    you either run with out it..or find a way to make your oil fill tube work.

Dickster says he can make you one to work,
    Im going to see what i have to do before resulting to buying another oil tube,
    im playing with this and my zips riser as we speak

25. mow too much

mow too much

The only picture I can find has that shop towel over the tube??????? What did Dick have in mind. I'll have the same problem, can't remember what I did on my 29.

26. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Lol i saw that picture..thats the reason why i contacted you on this issue..

He had a simular idea you and I both had..Pie cut it, lean it back and tig it back up clean it up and have it re chromed.

I have one im going to experiment with once i get my engine firmly mounted..I might warm it up a bit (just before it starts to blue the chrome) and take a hickory dowel the same internal diameter as the neck before it goes into the intake,(not all the way into the intake area)and insert it. Than take a long pipe over the outside and push it back some..I only need maybe an inch..

if i F it up..I got another one to try the cut and weld and re-chrome approach on.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  27. 60 Belair

60 Belair

vintage air sells one not sure who makes it tho ?​

28. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Nope..I just talked with them and they didnt know what you were talking about..

they offer brackets to move the pump out or the AC compressors they sell to avoid the tube (give clearence) but no oil fill tubes that will be any different than stock..
    they actually suggested i get rid of my beloved tube:eek:..and put holes in my valve covers:eek::eek:..yeah..like thats going to happen..:D:rolleyes:

but if that salesman was smoking something please let us know..Part number, and a picture?
    tried to find it on their website too..no joy:(

29. Karl Wescott

Karl Wescott

I have a Zips on my 1932 roadster SBC. Works great. They also make one for BBC. The only tip I can offer is to use a thermostat with a bleeder hole, using one without will cause a cavitation in the pump and fluctuating temperatures.

30. All I can add to this is use a trans fluid cooler, I used it on my "Burb" and I towed at least that much lbs. and had no problem and the shroud helps as well.