Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical FRAME, Frame Building TECH!!!! Jonny Cola gets LAID! HaHa

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobbleed, Mar 12, 2004.

1. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

Well, almost..... If this coupe dosen't get him laid, nothing will. HaHa

[​IMG]

So a few months ago this kid walks into the shop and tells me he wants to build a Hot Rod. He says he wants a coupe and asks me a bunch of questions. I figured he was just another dumb kid who decided to be a greaser for the week and would grow out of it the next. So I told him to look at the HAMB and go to the Pile Up and if he was serious about building a car someday to let me know.

When I saw him drive off in a bitchen black 68 Caddy, I realised that he was not such a typical dumb kid...... I thought that maybe, just maybe, he would be back........

A few weeks go by and he stops in to tell me he bought a Hot Rod. I was kind of floored that this Afro-Haired 16 year old kid was telling me this, so I asked to see it. I figured it would be a complete pile of shit or some fucking dune buggy or something. I walked into his garage and couldn't believe it! He showed a Model A coupe, with a killer old black paint job. It was a roller, but the frame was hacked up pretty bad. He said he was gonna make it real low and that he made a bet with his dad that he could have it on the road by the end of his school year...... This is pretty ambitous for a kid who had only been driving for a few months.

The whole thing was inspiring to me. Most of us would have killed to drive a Hot Rod (a real one) to High school and this kid was gonna do it. That's Bad Ass.

The next few weeks he pretty much was coming by the shop everyday asking more and more questions and trying to soak it in. I could tell that he was in over his head with this thing so I decided to help. The frame and alot of the parts that came with his coupe were kind of sketchy. I was woried he would somehow get it on the road and hurt himself. I offered to build him a custom frame and he could work it off.

So for the last couple of months he has been working for me. Pulling engines, cleaning dead mice out of Model A's, and doing alot of sweeping.......The whole time we were making a plan for his coupe.

He has also had to put up with me preaching to him about life. I've also told him many stories about the stupid shit I did when I was his age....... He's learned more than he realizes. HaHa

This week it finally came time for him to drag all of his parts down to the shop. I wanted to make him a frame that would be safe and strong, give him the LOW stance he wants, and retain as much room as possible in the little coupe.

Basically, it was going to get the BLEED touch. HaHa

So anyway, this is what I've been doing the last few days.

I started by setting up and leveling this little frame straightening bench we have. I like this bench because it can be torn down when not in use. This is what I use as a fab table for these frames.

I cut the 2x3 inch tubing at a 45 degree angle 33 inches in. This was for the front "z" that would be hidden by the cowl. I then stacked and welded the pieces and had the begining of the basic rails.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't really like the look of these home made frames so I decided to ad a piece along the bottom to emulate a model A frame. This will not only look good, but will act as a gusset.

I started by trimming the front of the rails to the proper width.

[​IMG]

Then I shaped some bar stock for the bottom and made a filler piece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With some welding and grinding they started to take shape.

[​IMG]

Then I spaced the rails on the bench. I set the front at the propper width for the crossmember, and did the same at the cowl. After measuring everything sideways and back I welded in the front crossmember at a 5 degree angle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I welded the origional Model A frame horns on and it started to look like something.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it was Mock Up time.

I put a brace across the back to keep it true and set the frame the on floor and tore down the bench.

I bolted the frontend on and clamed the wishbone mounting brackets to the frame. Then put the flathead in temporarly with braces for wieght. Then we set the body on.

Now we could jack the back up and down and determine the ride hieght we were after. We set the rear tire next to the body and moved it up and down until I persuaded Jonny to settle for this backwards rake. I think it makes the car look really aggressive and mean.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the ride hieght was determined we pulled the body back off and I made the front motor mounts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At this point it is time to make the rear kick up. I blocked the frame up 1.5 inches higher than we had it mocked to compensate spring load. Then I positioned the axle with the rear spring mounted at the desired wheel base and bolted the crossmember that I fabbed to it.

I forgot to take picks of this, but basiclly You need to level the frame position the axle w/spring/ crosmember and connect the dots.

These picks start after I had fabbed the rear crossmember, determined where I wanted the kick up and started building it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I again got rapped up in working and forgot to take pics, but this was the home stretch.

I made mounts on the axle to mount the wishbones and mounted them to the outside of the frame rails. It should work out so the wishbones fit betwwen the rail and the body and are hidden by the body.

Then I leveled the engine at the carb and made a tranny mount.

Lastly I adjusted the caster of the front axle and welded the front wishbone mounts to the frame.

Then we rolled it ouside to take a look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally we put the body on. I think it looks great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The wishbone ends get nicely tucked into the cowl.

[​IMG]

Looks fucking AWSOME from the back.

[​IMG]

A couple days ago this was a pile of parts and steel. Now it's almost a Hot Rod! We still have a lot to do some X members, steering, and maybe a Torque arm. But I think Jonny is on his way.

Maybe some chick will want to ride ON his hot rod. HaHa

There are many ways to build a fame, hopefully this will help someone out and show that it isn't rocket science.....

2. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

I don't know why the pics are so big, I used a different host and they came out big...... Maybe I can fix it tomarrow?

I'm tired now.

3. plan9

plan9

sick... right on for the post

dont change the pic size!! you can see details!!!

johnny cola will get laid, and i have a new hero

4. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

Bobby boy you do good work.Kinda makes me think I should go around acting young and dumb,well I wouldnt have to act on the dumb part,and maybe someone would feel sorry for me and help me build something!That kids on the right track,just keep up the boring lectures,they really love it,even if the look on thier face says they dont!Makes me think of choprods and "Jimmy the Kid",another young gun,who helps around Kennys shop, and who is well on the track to having a very cool truck.Seeing things like this gives me some hope that Rods are like Rock-n-Roll, neither will ever die!Keep up the work on this baby,looks like a Killer car!

5. WOW!! Lucky kid. Awesome work, and great how to! Ya need any more mice removed? Or sweeping? Me and the kid together would get the chores done in HALF the time! Will work for frame fabbin. [​IMG]
    Seriously, great post, and Jonny Cola is getting a LIFE education in evry respect. Stuff he'll remember (Like generosity).
    Good karma to you!!

6. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

Bob that is a SUPER job!! I love the way that car looks!!!! How much you get for a job like that I may have to get one just like it for my Coupe.............. [​IMG]

7. side_valve

side_valve
    Alliance Vendor

Great work Bob! When are we going to channel the fnabone?

8. abomber30

abomber30
    from syc, ILL

That is very cool bob! Stance is pretty rock n roll on that thing. Is johnny cola the one who needs the drums? I will be delivering them soon. later drew

9. KCsledz

KCsledz

I wish I had someone like you near me when I was in high school! Screw high school! I wish you were my frickin neighbor!!

10. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Sweet Bob, great frame tech that coupe Rocks.. I too like the stance, low low low.. As for the pics, size matters [​IMG]

11. NiteOwlChris

NiteOwlChris

this kid looks like Bob's hair twin, or maybe Bob made him wear his hair the same way...I dont know. I know this kid was serious when Bob made him wash his car at the world of wheels show this January. I think I might be able to get laid in that rod, any takers???? Heath, Randy, Drew, Cas, Zenor, Aaron, John, Bill, Mike, Carl, Dan???? Suck you later dudesickles

12. jonnycola

jonnycola

Yeah... this car is seriously going to be badass. I've got all kinds of ideas of how to make the car really reflect me, and my "style" if I'm not to young to have one. I love the intimidating feel that it has with the slight backwards rake. I didnt dig it at first, but bob assured me that it would make it AWESOME. And it did.

But getting a job at the shop was probably the coolest thing I've ever done. It's colder than a witch's tit in the little garage, and I've gotten more injuries and sicknesses as a result of the work, but I've definitly learned way more from 4:00 on, than I ever have in school. And I've only been monkeying around on cars since the beginning of last summer... so I guess I've got a pretty smart teacher. It takes a pretty cool guy to take a chance, and spend some time teaching a "dumb kid"

But I've got a pile of work ahead of me... and the HAMB has been a huge help the whole way to this point... mostly inspiration. I'm gonna need a bunch of help and advise when it comes to putting my floor in, wiring, brakes, everything, and I'm sure you guys will be willing to help.

And hey, when it's finally finished, I might be able to get laid by some rockabilly chicks, so thats always a plus.

13. [ QUOTE ]
    And hey, when it's finally finished, I might be able
    to get laid by some rockabilly chicks, so thats always a
    plus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be sure Bob teaches you the difference between rockabilly
    and Orcabetty after you have a couple beers (When you're
    old enough of course).

Nice work on the tech Bob, you reason for doing it are even
    better. See ya at the Roundup.
    TZ

14. UKAde

UKAde
    from Oxford UK

Making tapered sections from box

I have done a simular thing on my modified my frame is made from 2" x 2" it's only a baby engine

but at the front i wanted a tapered section like yours so i cat another piece of box on a long diagonal this was then welded to the top of the frame and the other piece from the cutting was welded to the other side

this meant only two welds one inside and the other outside and it also uses the excsiting rad on the tube to match the rest with virtualy no grinding

UKAde

Attached Files:

15. Excellent. Freaking excellent. I hope JC apprieciates this. I had a mentor like that in High School, but I was banging his daughter. [​IMG]. She's gone, but me and him are still friends.

Thanks for the mockup shots, they really help a guy who's never done a frame before, but wants to! [​IMG]

Jay

16. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

awsome work Bob...very, very cool!

Jonny, you suck [​IMG] I hate it when 16 year olds have cooler shit than me.
    lucky boy. That car will be ultimate

17. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

The best part is that there's still some "dumb kids" wanting to learn. Glad to see all of them haven't succumbed to "Ricer Madness" and dreams of fucking off while the welfare state and their girlfriends support their lazy worthless asses.
    Rock On Dude!

18. Rix2Six

Rix2Six
    from So. Cal.

Jonny is smart/lucky to hook up with you Bob. Great job the frame looks tight and the car sits just right.

19. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Tight brotha

20. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

Really cool of you to do this.
    Not to mention the very good workmanship.
    Welds look good.
    jim

21. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Dude ..do you build a Hot rod a week????
    your like a Buiding Mad Man.....

what's new on my car? I saw in the background and it's still not painted?
    any Interior Pix?

L8er
    Evel

22. 41ChevyTrucker

41ChevyTrucker

wow this is the best frame related post I have ever seen. great pics!

I like your frame layout table thing too. Simple but looks like it does the job well. I need something like that! What do you use to adjust the levelling? are there jackscrews or ?

23. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

Thanks, I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

I'm just a fool with a welder.

Jonnys not dumb, he's just stupid...... HaHa He'still got his work cut out for him, but I think he can pull it off.

I don't think I'm worthy of being anyones role model,
    I'm a Bad, Bad Man........

But I am happy I could help this kid out.

My hair is beautiful.

24. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

That A-Bone has a killer look to it!!..
    The kid going to 'Rule' at Skool!!
    Thanks for taking him under your wing and showing him the way....Dirty

25. If that doesn't get him laid he could just say he's in Knuckel Drager...HAHAHAHa!

26. Plowboy

Plowboy

Well, it looks like you tend you get a lot of hot rod stuff done when all you have to do is eat cheese and brush your hair! [​IMG]

Looks good. Maybe you can whip up a frame for the "Romance T" that is out in my shed so I can be rid of it.

27. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Nice. That body is in great shape. Was it channeled before he got it? I'm waiting to hear how you plan on connecting that trans to that rear end.

28. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

BTW you have my vote for TECH week !!! Go ahead and show us how you are gonna mount the body.......... [​IMG]

29. Roothawg

Roothawg

Man there's no kids around here that even care........... [​IMG]

30. ESnacky6

ESnacky6

BOB... Ruling post dude..!!

you really do make it look easy....

Couple of questions...
    what welder are you using..??
    no gusseting on the angle welds at all..?
    how come..?? just cuz it's a relatively light car..?
    just curious...

And when are you going to have new a BLEED CD..????
    I've about worn mine out...

Later Dude.... Snacks....