Register now to get rid of these ads!

HEMI Tech- INDEX

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jul 5, 2006.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just to make things even MORE simple... here's an index of the articles and subjects we've been talking about so far. I will update the "Index" as new ones come in.

NEW! These topics as well as more discussions can be found here:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=273

HEMI Tech- General parts and info resources

HEMI Tech- Identification

HEMI Tech- What are these engines worth?

HEMI Tech- Gaskets

HEMI Tech- Block, head, porting/polishing, gaskets, mounting

HEMI Tech - Engine and Component Dimensions

HEMI Tech- Transmission adapters, flywheels, starters

HEMI Tech- Hemi Engine Mounts

HEMI Tech- Intakes and exhaust manifolds

HEMI Tech- Ignition

HEMI Tech- Blowers, Superchargers, fuel injection

HEMI Tech- Rockers, valves, pushrods, springs

HEMI Tech- PISTONS! rods and related

HEMI Tech: Cooling Systems

HEMI Tech: Oil systems- filters, pumps, pans

HEMI Tech: Camshafts.. new? Regrind? solid or Hydraulic?

HEMI Tech- Crankshafts. Stock? Billet? Stroker?

HEMI Tech- Harmonic Balancers

HEMI Tech: Alternator? Generator? Acc. Brackets?

HEMI Tech- fuel pumps and covers- timing, valley and valve/rocker

HEMI Tech- Examples and specs!

HEMI Tech: Vacuum, Breathing and crank case pressure

HEMI Tech: Machining

HEMI Tech- Daimler Hemis

HEMI Tech- POLY Tech - early poly motor info

HEMI Tech- Rebuilds

HEMI Tech: Machine Shop Reference by State

Please PM me if any of these links don't work or if you have some ideas for new topics. Still have some in mind and will post them and update this list as they happen. In the mean time, let's all help keep the subjects full of up to date useful information.

Hope these topics help everyone!

S

EDIT: I have removed the water pump threads and moved them into one "Cooling Systems" thread, linked above.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  2. I'm not sure how many people have been benefitting from you threads but I must say that you rock!
    I'm working on a Desoto 291 for my "A" and you have unearthed a treasure chest of knowledge and information for all to share.
    Thank You!

BloodyKnuckles

3. axeman39

axeman39
    from Saco Maine

With my unofficial count of 73 Hemi owners and 150ish Hemis here on the HAMB, I would say that the Hemi tech threads are more than worth the effort put fourth and very much appreciated. Thanks! Axeman39.:)

@HemRawd likes this.
  4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys!! I appreciate the nice words! I'm glad they're helping someone. I know they're certainly helping me!! I've been spending so much time just trying to get the subjects up that I've hardly had time to even read them! I'm excited to sit down and start taking notes myself. The HAMB rules and with the amount of Hemi knowledge on here the HEMI Tech threads should rule too!

Thanks for the help gathering info everyone! We still have a long way to go!

BTW... This isn't just for Chrysler FirePowers! We need info on Dodge, DeSoto, the poly motors, the small cube Hemis... EVERYTHING!

@HemRawd likes this.

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just wanted to bump this up for you guys. I added a couple catagories for your viewing pleasure. It will take some time to get all these catagories filled out, but the topics are started. If anyone thinks of a topic that's NOT coverd here, let me know or start it with "HEMI Tech- xxxxxxxx" and I'll add it to the "Index". Just check to make sure it's not covered. Had some thoughts of some other ideas like Video rentals and things of that nature for resources. Have to figure out how to handle those yet. Not sure if that will be addressed in these or not.

We'll get there!

In the mean time, check out Harmonic Balancers and Identification and see if there is any factual information you can add!

Cheers!
    Scooter

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just wanted to bump this up in case it hasn't been seen yet. Let me know if there is any way I can add or improve what's already been started.

Also... there are some subjects still virtually blank. If there is any info anyone can add to those sections, please do so. This seems to have been a great thing for anyone needing Hemi info thus far...

7. right on man. this almost makes me want a hemi...almost!

8. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bumping the Index back up to the top since there has been a lot of Hemi talk lately. Still trying to keep these updated. If anyone sees information that can be linked to under these topics, please add it.

THANKS! :)
    Scooter

9. ward3162

ward3162

Hemi Tech is definitely needed. Just getting back into Hot Rodding after a forty year break . Building a 49 Stud P/U w341 Desoto Hemi. Can't get enough info about Desoto Hemis. Thanks for the work.

10. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We need more Desoto Hemi tech stuff! Anything you could add would be great sir!! [thumbs up]

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Going to bump this up so you guys can take a look at the topics and see if there's anything we can add. We have very little in several catagories. Amazingly the HEMI Tech- Examples and specs!
    has very little in it. Hopefully those of you with Hemis completed or in the works can kick us down some pictures with specs. Maybe even links to your build or something.

Thanks guys!

Scooter

12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Going to bump the Index back up to the top. I updated the intake/exhaust thread with a link to some Offy 6x2 stuff. Maybe some of you will have some fresh new thoughts and info to add somewhere to some of the other topics involving Hemis.

Keep the info coming! Some of these topics are looking pretty bare and need more discussion.

Cheers!
    Scooter

13. AHotRod

AHotRod

Great info and reading Scooter.

14. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Hello..OK..I have a 241 Red Ram and and have HH Flex plate.. The flage on the crank does not have any threads..Wondering if the bolts are special..ie..shoulder diameter..Can I use any 8 point bolt..I believe 7/16"..right or wrong..
    I couldn't believe it when I first got ready to put the flex plate on..OH..SHIT..
    Duane..

15. Thread the flange for 1/2-20 and use bolts instead of the oem bolt/nut setup.

16. 4tford

4tford

Check with HH they have the fex plate bolts which are 7/16 with nuts or the 1/2-20 for tapped cranks. You can tap your crank to use the 1/2-20 the holes are the right size to run the 1/2-20 tap through. Just make sure they are tapped straight.

17. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well... we haven't talked about Hemis enough lately... so let's see bump this Index back up so you guys can add to some of these threads where possible.

Been thinking about adding a reference for machine shops in everyone's area going state by state. Please let me know what you guys think about it. Last time I brought it up it got a good response, but it was brought up very unofficially. So shoot me a PM if you think it's something worthwhile or bump this back up.

Also, I still haven't done much with feature builds for this section and I've been seeing some very nice progress on a few builds. I may need a kick in the rear or a reminder of who's building what so I can get some featured Hemi builds up for everyone's reference and reading pleasure! :D

Thanks everyone!
    Scooter

19. 4tford

4tford

I was doing a search back in 2004 on hotheads swap meet forum for shops in my area SE Michigan and got a few hits which are Thomson Automotive in Redford, Mi (313-538-0044) and also Dowker engines in Charlotte, Mi (517-543-0249) and one finale one is Angelucci Performance Macomb, Mi (586-412-8442) I personally have not done business with any of them just wanted a source if I did need one down the road.

20. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks man! It looks like I better start a thread on this so there is a set place to post this info. I'll do it state by state in a few. The thread will probably get VERY big. Let me think about the best way to handle all the info that will be posted. Maybe I'll do it by alphabetic sections or something. It will take a lot of effort to get it filled out and will take everyone's support here. I will get started on it though.

Thanks!

21. Texas Bob

Texas Bob
    from Las Vegas

Right on man! Thank's for all the info! Just picked up a 53 Chrysler 331 here in town. See ya at the RRR?

22. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HEY BOB!!! Welcome to Hemis!! :D

Yeah, hopefully I'll make it out to the RRR. Would be good to catch up!

Oh... there are quite a few good places for Hemi machining in you area. Just can't remember the names. When you find out, PM me the details so I can post them in the Nevada section of the resource list.

Cheers!

23. edgeabilly

edgeabilly

Great info

I just got a 53 331 Hemi. This is just what I needed...:D

24. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay, it's 2008 and 2007 was a good year getting all this together. WE NEED MORE INFO! Desoto Hemis and Dodge Hemis are hardly discussed and I know there are plenty of people out there that have them that can add info to the catagories. Let's keep it going. We're all here as students so anyone that can teach, please stand up so we can learn more about Hemis!

Please, if you have experience and knowledge with any breed of early Hemi, take a little bit and read through the various catagories and add what you know.

Hoping to see more examples and build ups this year. There's a 331 in the works right now that I'm hoping to do a build-up thread on, or at least a build-up series on. Bored&Stroked dropped all our jaws with a build up and hopefully we'll get to see that wrapped up and maybe we can even see some video action from him on the build! (hint, hint!)

BTTT for 2008! Thank everyone for your participation and help keeping the catagories going!

25. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay boys and girls... bumpin' this up again.

Anyone building a hemi this year? Post it up in the examples or post up a build sequence and shoot me the link and I'll make sure it gets added in the right places.

Word has it that I just might be able to get a build progress on two 331's at the same time. Hopefully that will work out. I'll keep you guys posted.

BTTT

26. Ichoptop

Ichoptop

Mine is in the machine shop as we speak, getting the block and heads prepped. I dropped the new valves off friday so it should be done late this week or early next. Everything is built and/or bought for the rebuild and sitting in my office. Then my build up will start. It will be a moderate street motor, not to outlandish since it goes in a 2000lb bucket.

27. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you have the time, PLEASE do a pic progress on the build! I'm more than positive that others (as well as myself) will benefit from it!

Can't wait to see!

28. Ichoptop

Ichoptop

this is my first hemi rebuild so I will be figuring out some stuff as I go. I have my best friend helping me do it who has played with a few hemis so I am sure we can get it figured out. I'll take some pix and write down as much as I can. By the way...it is a 1955 331 using a 354 cam.

29. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds great! Do it! :D

30. imperial

imperial

This I found on thehemi.com
    Did anyone here did this swap?

Kenneth has discovered that by honing the lifter bores (assuming one needs or wants to) approximately 0.017 inches you can now use 1986 Oldsmobile roller lifters. Although this will require the alignment bars to be fabricated, or finding something that will fit. Kenneth is a machinist by trade, so was able to fabricate his own, and is also fabricating his own spring-style retaining device(s). These rollder lifters are considerably cheaper (approx $9 each) as compared to name brand aftermarket parts.