Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 08-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #261
jmcglynn
Alliance Vendor

Default Re: 3D Cad model of small block chev engine

The first premise of this kind of 3D modeling tool is that you start with a 2D sketch, then extrude, rotate it around an axis or sweep it along another sketch to produce a solid. If you start with a circle and extrude it you have a cylinder. If you rotate it around an axis you have a donut, if you sweep it along a sketch you have a "bent bar". Then you can do the same operations to make cuts into solids (extrude cut, swept cut, etc)

It isn't really that complicated, there is just a lot of capabilities there.

Download some SolidWorks models and look at how they are built up, that's a good way to learn too.

I haven't read the book that Brian mentioned, but the Matt Lombard books explain what is going on, and give examples of building parts using all of the different operations.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:33 PM   #262
brianangus
Old School HAMBer

Come on guys---read the whole post. Quit asking me to send it to you. The download link is posted about 2 pages back in this thread.---Brian
Old 08-14-2009, 08:58 PM   #263
RAT4791
FNG

I've uploaded a step file of the blown hemi 331 model to Keep's cad library - I can't vouch for the dimensional accuracy of the hemi engine as I was given the 3d model from ScooterMcRad - but the blower case I modelled up is quite accurate - enjoy

http://www.netquickposse.org/hamb/
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-14-2009, 11:57 PM   #264
jmcglynn
Alliance Vendor

That's awesome, thanks for sharing!

Does anyone have a T5 tranny in 3D?
Old 09-16-2009, 03:45 AM   #265
hyperion
FNG

Hey everyone,

First off, I'm new to the forums here but this thread has been incredibly helpful. Thanks so much to everyone who contributed to such a cool project.

I wanted to point out something about the SBC download which is true of the website as well as the mediafire download: There are three missing files that cause the assembly to rebuid without some key parts. They are:

* The oil filter
* The thermostat housing
* The fuel pump plate

These are listed in the assembly file but not present in the zip or in the HAMB directory.

Also, the assembly of the TH350 lists an oil pan, tail housing, and dipstick but these files while present are devoid of any features or even sketches (they are empty).

Also, I was wondering if anyone who is working on full chassis assemblies would be willing to share the rest of their drivetrains, i.e. the driveshaft, differential, axles, and hubs.

Thanks again!

-hyperion

Last edited by hyperion; 09-16-2009 at 03:52 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:18 PM   #266
TS3g
FNG

Hey guys, I just stumbled upon this thread while searching for AutoCAD drawings of a SBC. I'm currently in the process of designing a new dirt modified chassis for the upcoming season (in ProE) and this was exactly what I was looking for. So I'd like to thank you brianangus for your efforts and can't wait to put it to good use.

Also I'd be more the willing to share my models when I get them done, although I don't know how much of it you guys would actually use. Most of the car is hand built, but we do have to use a factory front clip (in my case, I'll be using a Metric G-body clip) with mostly OEM front suspension pieces, but we can interchange pieces off of other cars. So I'll also be modeling 74-80 Ford Pinto spindles and 68-74 Nova lower A-arms. We also use a Ford 9" center section for a rear end. But thanks once again!

Tyler
Old 10-07-2009, 08:57 PM   #267
yoyodyne

Welcome aboard Tyler. I'd love to have the 9" ford parts!
Old 10-11-2009, 12:44 PM   #268
jmcglynn
Alliance Vendor

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have CAD models or measurements for:
- Wide 5 wheel
- Wide 5 brake drums/hubs (37+)
- T-5 tranny, S-10 tailshaft

Thanks!
Old 10-30-2009, 11:15 PM   #269
CoolHand
Alliance Vendor

I've got a 2D print of the 3/4 ton wide five hub and the corresponding wheel center that goes with it.

It should be the same bolt pattern. The 3/4 ton is what all the stock cars and modifieds run, but with disk brakes now obviously.

If it'll do you some good, I'll pull it out into a file of its own and post it.

Also, while I'm here, I'm looking for a good three view 2D drawing of a Saginaw 3 spd transmission.

What I really want is a three view 2D drawing of a Bert racing transmission, but they are the same physical size as a 3 spd Saginaw, so one is just as good as the other for my purposes.

I have AutoCAD 2002 and SolidWorks 2005

If you all go to post, please keep that in mind. AutoDesk changed the DWG format sometime around 2004 (IIRC anyway), so anyone with the newer software would need to save it back to an AutoCAD 2000 DWG.

Thanks for your time guys.

"Our freedom is not for sale, and we reserve the right to defend it from theft." - Doc Zero

Stainless Lincoln Style Door Buttons - Now in Stock!
Old 11-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #270
jmcglynn
Alliance Vendor

Thanks, that would be great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHand View Post
I've got a 2D print of the 3/4 ton wide five hub and the corresponding wheel center that goes with it.

It should be the same bolt pattern. The 3/4 ton is what all the stock cars and modifieds run, but with disk brakes now obviously.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:15 PM   #271
CoolHand
Alliance Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcglynn View Post
Thanks, that would be great!
Here ya go.

Be aware that this is drawn from dimensions I've pulled myself off of actual parts in my hands. This info was not supplied by the mfg.

15" Wheel, open star type Winters Magnesium Ultralight Hub, Bearing ID is NOT correct, use external dimensions only, no brake rotor mount drawn.

It's plenty close enough for design work and checking clearances.
Attached Files
File Type: dwg WideFiveHub&15InchWheel(11-1-09).dwg (26.0 KB, 277 views)

"Our freedom is not for sale, and we reserve the right to defend it from theft." - Doc Zero

Stainless Lincoln Style Door Buttons - Now in Stock!
Old 01-27-2010, 01:19 AM   #272
xerophobic
FNG

Anyone have any updates for this SBC? Ive been playing quite a bit with the models I found here a while back and adding things here and there. My model is supposed to be a ZZ4 so the heads are a bit different. I dont have one to measure so alot of the subtle changes I made arent necessarily to scale (block casting areas etc)

I need a small alternator like you'd see on a racecar, anyone?

If anyone wants anything they see just PM me. I didnt notice the newer block with the bosses so I havent added those yet, altho my block and heads have alot more internal detail already, bores etc

You can see the initial stages of headers are present. I have J bends etc but have not yet come up with the best way to develope equal length tubes "easily"

You can find some parts on Solidworks web site too. I found spark plugs etc there

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GMZZ4.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	882338   Click image for larger version

Name:	dimSB06.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	882339  
Old 01-29-2010, 10:05 PM   #273
xerophobic
FNG

Mashed the block with bosses with mine, not complete, but more detailed

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	parts.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	885107  
Old 02-17-2010, 10:53 PM   #274
jerryj

This is a great thread. I'm new to the site and I'm excited to see current technologies applied to old school applications. I've been working with CAD systems since 1982 when I started on and Applicon 870/880 system. Currently I work with Unigraphics NX6. Additionally I have been involved with RP technologies since its commercial debut in 1988. I use these technologies daily to design and build a variety on products, equipment and occasionally my own stuff My current project is a a 37 Ford Coupe that I intend to power with a blown and EFI flathead. As soon as the weather breaks I'm heading up to the Ford library to get copies of the old flathead drawing so I can reproduce an accurate model that I can design too. I will definitely share it with anyone that needs it.

Does any one have an accurate profile or model of a 15" wheel?
Old 02-24-2010, 08:06 AM   #275
BillyBobsSpeedShop

if anyone has the solidwork files for the sturff discussed in this thread can they send them to me at triadcadd@yahoo.com? My work computer wont allow me to open the files
Old 06-05-2010, 10:19 PM   #276
lordlrl
FNG

If anybody has any files of 3D chevy engines that can be imported into Autocad that are fairly to scale but more important good mounting points that would be greatly appreciated. lordlrl@aol.com. Here is the start of my sand rail frame that still needs a ton of work, but its a start.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sand rail frame 1.jpeg
Views:	161
Size:	436.3 KB
ID:	994054  
Old 06-15-2010, 09:02 PM   #277
redwing
FNG

Brian,
I love the model would love to work with it on some Ideas I have would you be able to send it to me in solid works format?

korthalsboys@roadrunner.com
Old 06-19-2010, 03:29 PM   #278
JRODHOTROD

Here is a front mount that I put together from Paul's Cad sketch. I used the bolt locations from the xt model instead because one or both are wrong.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sbc frontmount.PDF (80.0 KB, 537 views)
File Type: zip sbc front mount.zip (14.9 KB, 243 views)
Old 08-09-2010, 05:25 PM   #279
ssikroria
FNG

Last edited by ssikroria; 05-16-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:46 PM   #280
ssikroria
FNG

Thank you very much for uploading the cad files. I was wondering if you have CAD design of LS7 engine that would be great.