Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2006, 09:47 PM   #1
a58chevy
FNG
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mount Vernon, WA
Posts: 7
Default '58 Chevy truck 6 lug to 5 lug front conversion

Anyone know how much it would be to convert the 6 lugs to five? It still has the stock brakes and straight axle.Not looking for a disc conversion or anything, just a simple lug conversion. I have looked around and no one seems to know. Help please!!!!
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:10 PM   #2
zman
Alliance Member
 
zman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Garner, NC
Posts: 16,538
Default Re: '58 Chevy truck 6 lug to 5 lug front conversion

I'd say the disc conversion is a better bet than just trying to find the correct 5 lug drums. Though a master cylinder upgrade should accompany the discs....
__________________
I have gotten grief for pointing out that the white, speckled stuff on chicken shit is still chicken shit. I will continue to do so... Chili Phil
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:22 PM   #3
Deuce Roadster
Member Emeritus
 
Deuce Roadster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Deuceland, in South Carolina
Posts: 9,536
Default Re: '58 Chevy truck 6 lug to 5 lug front conversion

On the front ... stock 53 - 54 Chevrolet car hubs and brake drums bolt right on ... giving you 5 lug wheels. In the rear ... the easiest way is to change the entire rear end over the a Chevrolet car rear end ... with the 5 lug wheels.

__________________
"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't,
you are usually right." Henry Ford
offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-22-2006, 10:29 PM   #4
Max Gearhead
Alliance Member
 
Max Gearhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Frustration Station, WI.
Posts: 2,459
Default Re: '58 Chevy truck 6 lug to 5 lug front conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce Roadster
On the front ... stock 53 - 54 Chevrolet car hubs and brake drums bolt right on ... giving you 5 lug wheels. In the rear ... the easiest way is to change the entire rear end over the a Chevrolet car rear end ... with the 5 lug wheels.

I used some 51-52 hubs & drums on my 2nd series 55. Easy fit no mods.
Max

Last edited by Max Gearhead; 03-13-2011 at 11:19 PM.
online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:36 PM   #5
Primer Gray
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tallahassee
Posts: 51
Default Re: '58 Chevy truck 6 lug to 5 lug front conversion

Yeah, we did this on a '56 Cameo...ok, the truck started life as a '57 stepside, but it's a '56 Cameo now...with 53 Chevy hubs on the front.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:37 PM   #6
DE SOTO
BANNED
 
DE SOTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: VENTURA COUNTY CALIFORNIA
Posts: 3,770
Default Re: '58 Chevy truck 6 lug to 5 lug front conversion

Take The Hub & Drum Assy To A Good Machine Shop And Have Them Re~drill Any Bolt Pattern Ya Want In Them.............
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 11:46 PM   #7
squirrel
Old School HAMBer
 
squirrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Sierra Vista AZ
Posts: 24,797
Default Re: '58 Chevy truck 6 lug to 5 lug front conversion

get the front hubs and drums from a 51-54 car, and the rearend from a 55-57 chevy car, or a 70s Camaro, you'll have to do some spring perch work on the rearend, but it's a pretty easy swap either way.

Trying to get 5 lug front wheels to fit over the 6 lug hubs would be a challenge.

49-50 car hubs/drums are different, as they used the older Huck style brakes.
__________________
Jim Forbes
.
my shtuff
.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 12:26 AM   #8
a58chevy
FNG
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mount Vernon, WA
Posts: 7
Default Re: '58 Chevy truck 6 lug to 5 lug front conversion

Thanks for the info everyone.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:36 PM   #9
BigDave
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St.Louis
Posts: 54
Default Re: '58 Chevy truck 6 lug to 5 lug front conversion

Hey, Hows it going guys. Im looking to do the exact opposite. I have a 1940 Ford P/U with a 57 chevy rear end, and a straight axle front. both have 5 lug. I bought a set of wheels thinking they would work. They were for a chevy. Didnt realize they were 6 lug wheels. Anybody know where I can get the parts to convert my 5 lug to a 6 lug, or where I can buy a six lug rear end? Thanks for your input in advance.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:40 PM   #10
zman
Alliance Member
 
zman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Garner, NC
Posts: 16,538
Default Re: '58 Chevy truck 6 lug to 5 lug front conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
Hey, Hows it going guys. Im looking to do the exact opposite. I have a 1940 Ford P/U with a 57 chevy rear end, and a straight axle front. both have 5 lug. I bought a set of wheels thinking they would work. They were for a chevy. Didnt realize they were 6 lug wheels. Anybody know where I can get the parts to convert my 5 lug to a 6 lug, or where I can buy a six lug rear end? Thanks for your input in advance.
I have both sitting in the shop. come and get them cheap...
__________________
I have gotten grief for pointing out that the white, speckled stuff on chicken shit is still chicken shit. I will continue to do so... Chili Phil
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:44 PM   #11
Lucky Strike
Senior Member
 
Lucky Strike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: TEXAS, Houston TEXAS
Posts: 1,666
Default Re: '58 Chevy truck 6 lug to 5 lug front conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
Hey, Hows it going guys. Im looking to do the exact opposite. I have a 1940 Ford P/U with a 57 chevy rear end, and a straight axle front. both have 5 lug. I bought a set of wheels thinking they would work. They were for a chevy. Didnt realize they were 6 lug wheels. Anybody know where I can get the parts to convert my 5 lug to a 6 lug, or where I can buy a six lug rear end? Thanks for your input in advance.
6 lug rear ends are not hard to come up with. I'm runnin' a 1980s blazer rear end in the back of my 58 Apache. 6 bolt, the width is correct, and I did not do any thing, other than bolt it in.

On the front, get a hold of Flat Top Bob at Owen's Salvage. (he is an alliance vendor) and I'm sure he can set you up with the correct beam axle you need with hubs and spindles, and bakes attached.

I have the stock setup in front except i converted to disk brakes with a kit from CCP and a "corvette style" dual circuit master. Stops great. When you get the front axle you will want to put in new king pins.

Laters,
L.S.M.F.S.T.
__________________
I'll round off that bolt head...just as soon as I'm done strippin' this screw!

Lucky Strike = Andrew Jackson W.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:08 PM   #12
BigDave
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St.Louis
Posts: 54
Default Re: '58 Chevy truck 6 lug to 5 lug front conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
I have both sitting in the shop. come and get them cheap...

I'd love to come on over and get it, But your in NC, and Im in St.Louis. shipping might be a little on the high side. What would you sell the rear end for, and whats the messurments? Thanks, Dave
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:10 PM   #13
BigDave
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St.Louis
Posts: 54
Default Re: '58 Chevy truck 6 lug to 5 lug front conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
6 lug rear ends are not hard to come up with. I'm runnin' a 1980s blazer rear end in the back of my 58 Apache. 6 bolt, the width is correct, and I did not do any thing, other than bolt it in.

On the front, get a hold of Flat Top Bob at Owen's Salvage. (he is an alliance vendor) and I'm sure he can set you up with the correct beam axle you need with hubs and spindles, and bakes attached.

I have the stock setup in front except i converted to disk brakes with a kit from CCP and a "corvette style" dual circuit master. Stops great. When you get the front axle you will want to put in new king pins.

Laters,
L.S.M.F.S.T.
Thanks for the info. I'll check into that rear end at the local Junkyard.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:59 PM   #14
oldapache58
FNG
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Posts: 2
Default Re: '58 Chevy truck 6 lug to 5 lug front conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by a58chevy View Post
Anyone know how much it would be to convert the 6 lugs to five? It still has the stock brakes and straight axle.Not looking for a disc conversion or anything, just a simple lug conversion. I have looked around and no one seems to know. Help please!!!!
I have what you need . I just changed my 58 chevy over to discs and have the complete hub and drum setup that will work , for sale or ??? Hope to hear from ya oldapache58 said it .......
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:15 PM   #15
freak2180
FNG
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Quinlan, Tx
Posts: 1
Default Re: '58 Chevy truck 6 lug to 5 lug front conversion

Anyone have a clue as to where to get new 50-54 car hubs from? Ive checked everywhere I know of and cant find them. I have located the drums and bearings but no luck with the actual 5 lug hubs.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:30 PM   #16
plymouth1952
Senior Member
 
plymouth1952's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Grants Pass Ore
Posts: 2,196
Default Re: '58 Chevy truck 6 lug to 5 lug front conversion

a friend just used a stock unbolted unit out of a chevy van welded tabs for the uper a arms and is driving disks P/S all on stock spindels
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:35 PM   #17
squirrel
Old School HAMBer
 
squirrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Sierra Vista AZ
Posts: 24,797
Default Re: '58 Chevy truck 6 lug to 5 lug front conversion

51-54 hubs...you need to find used hubs. no need for anyone to reproduce them, they don't wear out, and most guys get rid of them when they redo their cars.
__________________
Jim Forbes
.
my shtuff
.
offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 PM.