Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 06-22-2006, 09:47 PM   #1
a58chevy
FNG

Default '58 Chevy truck 6 lug to 5 lug front conversion

Anyone know how much it would be to convert the 6 lugs to five? It still has the stock brakes and straight axle.Not looking for a disc conversion or anything, just a simple lug conversion. I have looked around and no one seems to know. Help please!!!!
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:10 PM   #2
zman
Alliance Member

Default Re: '58 Chevy truck 6 lug to 5 lug front conversion

I'd say the disc conversion is a better bet than just trying to find the correct 5 lug drums. Though a master cylinder upgrade should accompany the discs....
Old 06-22-2006, 10:22 PM   #3
Deuce Roadster
Member Emeritus

On the front ... stock 53 - 54 Chevrolet car hubs and brake drums bolt right on ... giving you 5 lug wheels. In the rear ... the easiest way is to change the entire rear end over the a Chevrolet car rear end ... with the 5 lug wheels.

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-22-2006, 10:29 PM   #4
Max Gearhead
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce Roadster
On the front ... stock 53 - 54 Chevrolet car hubs and brake drums bolt right on ... giving you 5 lug wheels. In the rear ... the easiest way is to change the entire rear end over the a Chevrolet car rear end ... with the 5 lug wheels.

I used some 51-52 hubs & drums on my 2nd series 55. Easy fit no mods.
Max

Last edited by Max Gearhead; 03-13-2011 at 11:19 PM.
online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:36 PM   #5
Primer Gray

Yeah, we did this on a '56 Cameo...ok, the truck started life as a '57 stepside, but it's a '56 Cameo now...with 53 Chevy hubs on the front.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:37 PM   #6
DE SOTO
BANNED

Take The Hub & Drum Assy To A Good Machine Shop And Have Them Re~drill Any Bolt Pattern Ya Want In Them.............
Old 06-22-2006, 11:46 PM   #7
squirrel
Old School HAMBer

get the front hubs and drums from a 51-54 car, and the rearend from a 55-57 chevy car, or a 70s Camaro, you'll have to do some spring perch work on the rearend, but it's a pretty easy swap either way.

Trying to get 5 lug front wheels to fit over the 6 lug hubs would be a challenge.

49-50 car hubs/drums are different, as they used the older Huck style brakes.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:26 AM   #8
a58chevy
FNG

Thanks for the info everyone.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:36 PM   #9
BigDave

Hey, Hows it going guys. Im looking to do the exact opposite. I have a 1940 Ford P/U with a 57 chevy rear end, and a straight axle front. both have 5 lug. I bought a set of wheels thinking they would work. They were for a chevy. Didnt realize they were 6 lug wheels. Anybody know where I can get the parts to convert my 5 lug to a 6 lug, or where I can buy a six lug rear end? Thanks for your input in advance.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:40 PM   #10
zman
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
Hey, Hows it going guys. Im looking to do the exact opposite. I have a 1940 Ford P/U with a 57 chevy rear end, and a straight axle front. both have 5 lug. I bought a set of wheels thinking they would work. They were for a chevy. Didnt realize they were 6 lug wheels. Anybody know where I can get the parts to convert my 5 lug to a 6 lug, or where I can buy a six lug rear end? Thanks for your input in advance.
I have both sitting in the shop. come and get them cheap...
Old 10-07-2008, 07:44 PM   #11
Lucky Strike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
6 lug rear ends are not hard to come up with. I'm runnin' a 1980s blazer rear end in the back of my 58 Apache. 6 bolt, the width is correct, and I did not do any thing, other than bolt it in.

On the front, get a hold of Flat Top Bob at Owen's Salvage. (he is an alliance vendor) and I'm sure he can set you up with the correct beam axle you need with hubs and spindles, and bakes attached.

I have the stock setup in front except i converted to disk brakes with a kit from CCP and a "corvette style" dual circuit master. Stops great. When you get the front axle you will want to put in new king pins.

Laters,
L.S.M.F.S.T.

Lucky Strike = Andrew Jackson W.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:08 PM   #12
BigDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
I have both sitting in the shop. come and get them cheap...

I'd love to come on over and get it, But your in NC, and Im in St.Louis. shipping might be a little on the high side. What would you sell the rear end for, and whats the messurments? Thanks, Dave
Old 10-10-2008, 06:10 PM   #13
BigDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
6 lug rear ends are not hard to come up with. I'm runnin' a 1980s blazer rear end in the back of my 58 Apache. 6 bolt, the width is correct, and I did not do any thing, other than bolt it in.

On the front, get a hold of Flat Top Bob at Owen's Salvage. (he is an alliance vendor) and I'm sure he can set you up with the correct beam axle you need with hubs and spindles, and bakes attached.

I have the stock setup in front except i converted to disk brakes with a kit from CCP and a "corvette style" dual circuit master. Stops great. When you get the front axle you will want to put in new king pins.

Laters,
L.S.M.F.S.T.
Thanks for the info. I'll check into that rear end at the local Junkyard.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:59 PM   #14
oldapache58
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by a58chevy View Post
Anyone know how much it would be to convert the 6 lugs to five? It still has the stock brakes and straight axle.Not looking for a disc conversion or anything, just a simple lug conversion. I have looked around and no one seems to know. Help please!!!!
I have what you need . I just changed my 58 chevy over to discs and have the complete hub and drum setup that will work , for sale or ??? Hope to hear from ya oldapache58 said it .......
Old 12-04-2011, 10:15 PM   #15
freak2180
FNG

Anyone have a clue as to where to get new 50-54 car hubs from? Ive checked everywhere I know of and cant find them. I have located the drums and bearings but no luck with the actual 5 lug hubs.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:30 PM   #16
plymouth1952

a friend just used a stock unbolted unit out of a chevy van welded tabs for the uper a arms and is driving disks P/S all on stock spindels
Old 12-04-2011, 10:35 PM   #17
squirrel
Old School HAMBer

51-54 hubs...you need to find used hubs. no need for anyone to reproduce them, they don't wear out, and most guys get rid of them when they redo their cars.