Register now to get rid of these ads!

o/t Minnnature '48 Chevy pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bdamfino, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

I remember seeing a scaled down,black '48 Chevy pickup at the Charlotte Auto Fair back in '90. It was also shown in Hot Rod's "Roddin' at Random" back in '86 or '87. Just wondering if any Hambers know about this truck or can tell me which issue of Hot Rod it was in. I heard it was in Truckin' magazine as well.

2. jamesdfo

jamesdfo

I remember the truck you are referring to, and if memory serves me it was also featured in a short blurb in Street Rodder. I believe it was chopped, sectioned, and shortened, ending up at approximately 5/8 scale. However, the exact time escapes me. I do remember mention in the article that when someone posed the question of WHY ??...the builders answer was " there wasn't anything good on TV last winter" :):)

James

3. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

I remember seeing the truck at the NSRA Nats in St Paul back in the late 70s or early 80s. I remember the article in Street Rodder and that quote too. Infact I remember my dad going nuts over that truck and how cool it was. Probably got some old snap shots of it too.

4. I am sure the build is shown in Tex Smith's How to Build Hot Rod trucks. They put it on an S-10 chassis. There was a drawing showing all the cuts made.

5. singledownloop

singledownloop

i remember that truck too and the quote " there wasn't anything good on TV last winter" pretty classic................

6. I saw it in Springfield, IL at the KKOA Lead Sled Nats in '90 (I think). Guy said he applied for a job at the new (at the time)Tie-ota truck plant. They didn't hire him so he decided to show them how to build a little truck!

7. Orange54

Orange54
    from Missouri

I have a magazine article somewhere of the truck with details of the build. 5 years from now when I run across it I'll scan and post it.

He put a ton of work into it and it looked good.

8. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

I remember it, very cool truck.
    how about the 5/8 scale '46 ford 'vert about 2-3 years back in st. rodder?

9. 48stude

48stude

The truck was built buy Terry Steagall. It is featured in Tex Smith's "How To Build Hot Rod Trucks". Bill

10. I think Joe Mcglynn did one,it's in the recent
    Covell Chopping and Sectioning video.

11. dt50chev

dt50chev

Hows about some pics of these trucks?

12. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

That truck was NOT on an S-10 chassis. I believe it was a Toyota. The truck had the running gear and frame from the small truck and everything was scaled to fit the chassis. I saw the truck at the Street Rod Nationals the year he finished it. YOu couldn't get near the thing because of the crowd. He had a photo album of every step he took to cut it down. Truely a major metal working project, but to hear him talk it was no big deal, just something to do to pass the time. RIGHT!!!

Frank

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. I was out at a friends shop tonite and checked out his copy of "How to Build Hot Rod Trucks", It was a 1985 S-10 chassis in that particular build.

14. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

Like this?[​IMG]

15. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

That thing is cool. I hope it has a V8-60 in it! I'd prefer a full size version myself though.

16. Skimmer

Skimmer

Now that is cooooooooool ....

17. Larry T

Larry T

From How to build Hot Rod Trucks.

18. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

St. Paul 1989...

CC

Attached Files:

19. Where was the truck builder from? There was a black one in the So. TN/N. AL area back 15 years ago. Seems like it was on an S-10 chassis. EVERYTHING had been chopped & sectioned on it.

JH

20. Murfreesboro TN. Yep, Terry Steagall. The truck was apart to "freshen it up"(Terry's words) last time I was at his place 2 or 3 years ago.I'm sure it's still apart...
    Terry's also a COE nut--that's how I came across him. Great guy, in an eccentric way. Helluva metal fabricator too.

Tacson likes this.
  21. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

That be the truck. How did you get a pic with nobody around it? I remember waiting a long time to get a pic of it, too many people around it when I got to it.

22. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

Seems like the fellow that built the '46 Ford also built a '39 Chevy tudor. I remember seeing the Chev in LA Roadster show coverage in Rand C, the '46 was shown in Americruise coverage a few years back. I hope they put that Chevy Pickup back together, It was an amazing piece of work! I started to ask about the Crosley powered '32 roadster featured in both Hot Rod and Rod and Custom in the fifties, where it was today, then thought of that pickup instead. Amazing cars,all!!!

23. noboD

noboD

The pickup was at York NSRA East a bunch of years ago. The truck was cut in lots of pieces to scale it down that far.

24. Was there more than one of these... or did Terry just get around?

JH

25. Stone

Stone

That would bew awesome. I would like to see a smaller version of a 54 chevy to make alittle sports car/kustom. About the size of a 1st gen vette.

26. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

Somewhere in my stuff is a photo of a cut down A-D Chevy pickup a friend of mine took at the Frog Follies in Evansville, IN back in the early 2000s. I looked this morning and couldn’t find it, I may look for it again. I seem to remember that it was red and black.