Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's going on Down Under?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49 Fastback, Jun 5, 2006.

1. 49 Fastback

49 Fastback
    from Ohio

Can’t cope with loud cars? Try ‘Copacabana’

Australian officials to use ‘daggy’ Manilow music to chase away hot-rodders

SYDNEY, Australia - Sick and tired of souped-up cars with loud engines and pulsing music? Barry Manilow may be the answer.
    Officials in one Sydney district have decided to pipe the American crooner's music over loudspeakers in an attempt to rid streets and car parks of "car hoons" whose antisocial cars and loud music annoy residents and drive customers from businesses.
    Following a successful experiment in which Bing Crosby music was used to drive teenage loiterers out of an Australian shopping center several years ago, Rockdale officials believe Manilow is so uncool it might just work.
    Councilor Bill Saravinovski said local authorities plan to install a loudspeaker and pipe in Manilow music, interspersed with classical pieces, over a car park favored by car "hoons," or hooligans.
    "There are restaurants nearby and people can't park in the car park because they're intimidated by these hoons," Saravinovski told The Daily Telegraph newspaper Monday.
    "Daggy music is one way to make the hoons leave an area because they can't stand the music," he said.

Reuters, June 5, 2006.

See that could never happen here in America--we have a law against "cruel and unusual punishment"!!! :D :D

Tucker

2. flatoz

flatoz

Sydney is the 'gay' capital of Australia, so it doesnt surprise me

3. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Hahahaha I'd die laughin right in the middle of the street!! Bing Crosby I could handle but Manilow?? I'd have to rid myself of my mufflers just to drown him out.............then knowing Australia, walk my ass home after they took my car.:eek: :D

4. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

at the Coooopa......Coooopa Caaabaaaaaana!

I'd have to hit someone that called me a "car hoon"

5. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

I've been trying for thirty minutes to get this copied and pasted but, I couldn't get it to work..:p .I was laughing so hard:D Man, Barry Manilow? That will get those boys straightened out.:eek: I guest BM :)D ) will make them want to shit and have to leave.:D :D :D Or so nauseaed that they won't be able to drive:D :D .

6. Flatattack

Flatattack

I resent that FlatOz...................Barry Manilow rules.

Wasn't Peter Allen from Melbourne?

7. Maybe...but Sydney turned him GAY....not that there's anything wrong with tha....actually, hell yes there is!:eek:

8. Now now, lets be respectful of everyone's sexual preference. No place on the HAMB for biggots, unless they be g'chainer biggots...

Danny

9. flatoz

flatoz

resent away!

but PROVE me wrong!:D

10. Flatattack

Flatattack

Nothing to prove, you've got Molly, Bert, Vizard and Hugh Jackman........all gay and all from Melbourne.

Just remember that the only good things to come from Victoria are VB and the Hume.

11. He was from Tenterfield.

Melbourne is the 'home' of 'metrosexuality'.....and this thread has nothing to do with rodding, let drop where it belongs....

12. Lets see....Get Your Kicks on Route 66 OR Mandy ??? Hmmmm, Ill with you Brandy, Ill take the old Bada BING any day.

Rat

13. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

Tie em to the car and drag em....

14. Sounds like same shit different state. Chapel Street in Prahran (Melbourne) is another great place. The local council can issue you with noise infringement fines, thats if the cops don't get ya first.

And for the record I loathe the term Metrosexaul, its just a lame excuse for a guy to wear a pink shirt! :D

15. and wtf is that "moomba" thing about. thats even gayer than mardi gras![​IMG]

16. Hugh Jackman's from Sydney. He's not gay. Bert is, I've seen him kiss a (young) bloke on the lips. They all live in Vegemite Valley, whichever city. The"hoons" have lots of gold chains, 8 inch exhaust dumps and pop off valves that pop at 1 psi. They're that kind of car folk. Yeah, I had a laugh when I read that in the paper the other day too.

17. Flatattack

Flatattack

Typically we all get tarred with the same brush. I mean being into cars, not from Sydney.

18. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Whew, at least one man in this thread we know isn't gay.

Hugh Jackman is OH MY GOD SO YUMMMY.............ahh I think I just drooled. When I'm Queen of the World, he's going to sand all of my cars down to bare metal and I'm just gunna pull up a lawn chair.:D

Really tho, I think playing music is a far better way of trying to rid "CAR HOONS", then increasing the number of tickets/impounds. Very passive actually. Sure beats riot gear on any given day!!

Wha ha, well, sometimes.:eek: :D

19. Hmmm Brandy, what do YOU think ol Bing and Bob were doing behind the sets of those famous "Road To" movies ??

Hahaha....

Rat

20. Godspeed

Godspeed

Fine, time to join forces.
    Find the tuners with thier ultra loud sound systems and "psycobilly" the Barry Manillow fans into oblivion! ALL NIGHT LONG!!!

21. Brandy, I've met Hugh, and yes it's all true - he is a really nice person.

22. fc ute

fc ute

isnt everyone on the east coast gay?

23. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Hey, any of you guys from the land of OZ have access to T-shirts from a local hot rod shop down there? Hook me up!

24. Buick57

Buick57
    from Kialla

After looking at the bullshit on this thread I wonder what outsiders must think of us.

25. Well, I've seen Jerry Spinger. Isn't that what everyone bases their idea of the US on?

26. Aman, how about I give you some contact details (email adresses and such)and you can chase 'em up? Toowoomba Rod&Custom has a real goodie.