Register now to get rid of these ads!

how to check rear end ratio??????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stovebolt, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I know this has been discussed before, but Im stuck, and need the answer quickly.

If I rotate the right axle around once and the tailshaft yolk turns twice, then what ratio do I have???

Is there a formula to work the rear end ratio out by this method??? [​IMG]

Thankx in anticipation.

cheers

2. Paul2748

Paul2748

You probably have a 2.50 - 2.75 ratio. Hard to believe a 2.00. Check closer on how may times the yoke turns. Probably turns a little more than 2 times.

3. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

The bloody thing has a 3.55 tag on it and I just want to make sure it is 3.55 before I take it down to get one side narrowed. Its a borg warner - so I can't just pop the centre.

I've tried it twice and get 2 rotations for each axle rotation.

4. Patina

Patina

When i check my 62 chev i had to turn both wheels at the same speed to get a accurite reading, turn out to be 308s PATINA

5. Munson

Munson
    from Tempe, AZ

what vehicle, any numbers on it?

My '59 apache had 3 tags, ( 3.92, stamping id#, and use only limited slip fluid.... warning tag)

If its an old truck like mine you can look it up on their site http://www.americanclassic.com/

good luck!
    j

6. burger

burger

You know, I tried the spinning method not too long ago on two different rear ends, and got nonsense. The one rear was known to be a 3:55, but I was getting 20 turns at the drum for 14 at the yoke, which seems like a 7:1 ratio. I tried the same thing on another rear I had lying around and got the same double figure. Can anyone explain that?

Ed

PS- Both rears were peg-leggers, if that makes a difference.

7. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I realize now that I was spinning the right axle and the left was jammed up hard against something else.

I rotated the yolk and got 3 turns to 1 on the axle - so it still doesn't add up to a 3.55 ratio.

am I wrong or is it a 2.92 or something?

8. skipperman

skipperman

This ain't gonna make sense with the numbers you gave--BUT--- the way to check a rear ratio is ....
    If it's an open rear (NON posi)---Mark the driveshaft with chalk.... HOLD one wheel still...turn other wheel TWO REVOLUTIONS and count how many turns the chalk made ...
    If it's a posi ....(don't hold either wheel) turm wheel ONE revolution and count how many turns the chalk made ....... That's it bro ......

jersey Skip

9. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

For an open (non-posi) rear leave one tire on the ground and turn the driveshaft (mark it) until the other tire (mark it too) that is off the ground rotates exactly TWO times. The reason for the two tire rotations is because the spider gears are a 2:1 ratio. The number of turns of the driveshaft will be your gear ratio.

For a posi rear (working properly) get both tires off the ground and turn the driveshaft until the tire(s) rotate exactly ONE turn.

This method works every time. [​IMG]

10. burger

burger

I see the error in my ways. Many tanks.

Ed

11. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I am much obliged to you all.

I hope this helps out others that have the same lack of knowledge in all things mechanical as I have.

Again "THE HAMB RULES"!!!

12. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Thanks guys. I tried it and yes I do have a 3.55 ratio rear end.

So now its off to get narrowed, and set up with '36 radius rods, and an A model spring.

Cheers

13. atch

atch

just a quick finishing note: to increase accuracy, rotate the rear wheel 20 times instead of two; ten if positrac. obviously divide the yoke rotations by 10; then divide to get the ratio.