Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dual TBI setup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Aman, May 31, 2006.

1. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

I've been kicking around different intake systems for the A, you know, 3x2, 2x4, etc. Well, the other day I came across an article on installing a dual tpi set up and I was wondering if anyone here has this set up or knows anyone who does. It's not a bad idea when you think about it, the cost from Turbo City is about 2 G's. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. willys_truck

willys_truck

You could get dual throttle body fuel injection on 80's model camaro's from the factory(cross ram injection). If you are wanting one of these setups, i would hunt down a OEM setup. I have HEARD that they are fire prone, but have not actually seen it. I had thought about running one of these setups at one time.

3. jrb56

jrb56
    from Buda, TX

fairly untraditional... but you could just use 2 TBI from chevy trucks and use a megasquirt box to control... would be much cheaper than 2K, and very hide-able...

Joe

4. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Yes, the famous "cross fire fuel injection". They made good torque in the lower rpm range, but fell on their face if you tried to wind them up, because the intake port size was about half of a factory carburetor intake. Once I saw one off the engine with its tiny ports, I figured they would have been better off using it on a truck for its low end.

5. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

I think you can open the intake ports up I did it on a 305 single tbi setup to run the bigger holley tbi went from stock to 2 inches no problem could be worth a try those crossflow manifolds used to be cheap
    Ken

6. I'll be using this Crossfire injection unit with an updated computer on my street-legal sprint car. It's from an '84 Corvette.

Attached Files:

7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

As jrb56 the MegaSquirt is the way to go. I have planned on doing multiple throttle body injection setup for my Buick. I did set up a MegaSquirt with a single 2 barrel for a 364 a few years back and it went well. I sold off the set up to a Buick club member so it's probably still out there. I used a holley 2 barrel throttle body and have thought of using a 4 barrel throttle body for a test with running e85... The MegaSquirt community is very helpful if you end up going that way...

and just a few other links of interest...

http://www.youngsperformance.com/
    http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html
    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~davodos/Megasquirt.html
    http://www.glensgarage.com/catalog/index.php
    http://megatunix.sourceforge.net/

the MegaSquirt Forums http://www.msefi.com/

8. 8flat

8flat

I would definitely go with the megasquirt, it's very solid and very inexpensive. Granted, it may take a little more time to build the setup, but it's very customizeable.

Gary

9. jrb56

jrb56
    from Buda, TX

I was thinking a dual 4 mainfold edelbrock or what ever, with 2 adaptor plates - 1 for each carb mount. The TBIs from the chevy trucks are 3 hole, but I have no idea how far apart the two holes on the same side are...

No Egay affiliation, just using for reference

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/454-350-GM-TBI-50mm-SBC-tbody-750cfm-Truck-SUV-Z28-TA_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38634QQitemZ8071204065QQrdZ1

With some oil bath air cleaners to cover the air flow sensors... all controlled by Megasquirt...

Joe

10. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

I think all gm throttle bodies are same 3 bolt pattern only difference is size of throttle bores and flo rate of injecters
    Holly tbi units bolt right on also and have the largest bore of all== tbi units are rated for cfm somewhat and using two I would go for 4.3 tbi's==they all have some adjustment on flow rate and you need an air fuel gage to tell where you are at on all driving conditions to tune it in==I have a old holly setup for this knobs to dial in everything up to 50% of throttle after that it does it alone==should be an easy setup to install and calibrate and hide in a 4 bbl carb housing to look factory
    Ken

11. Gemini EFI

Gemini EFI

We make TBI using real Stromberg's as throttle bodies. You can run as many as you like.We supply the injectors,computer, loom and pump. You supply the carbs and manifold. Our computer controls fuel and timing perfectly with no tuning needed.Guaranteed!! One stock 97 will flow enough air for 115 h.p. you do the math. 2 will feed a stout flathead. 3 will do most small blocks. We can open up a 97 to flow 0ver 150 h.p. Our setup cost $200.00 per carb, our computer is $1295.00. 3 carbs would come in at around $2 grand. Picture shows 2x2 on a super dual manifold. We can do this on any manifold on any number of carbs.We will soon have 2GC Rochesters ready, along with Rochester 1 barrels.
    Gemini EFI

Attached Files:

12. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

I originally found an article in a 1996 Street Rod Mag. They showed the Turbo city setup and talked about using an Offy 2x4 manifold because they had more space between the carbs to work with. They used adapters to mount the TBI's to the manifold. The fuel return from the first TBI goes to the input on the second TBI, in series, according to the article. It's not real clear how the units are wired. I wonder if you can just wire the TPss together so everything works at the same time. I forget the other connection at the TBI (crs) but, could it be wired together also to work at the same time. I hope that makes sense. If both TBIs are wired together, wouldn't the computer recognize the two TBIs as one. This is the part that is confusing. The other question is this: when you step on the gas, will both TBIs kick in the same amount of fuel or is there away to set it up like a 2x4 carb setup that uses progressive linkage? :confused:

13. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I think you just priced yourself out of the game. You see this is about DIY, and with the MegaSquirt being 1/3 of the price of your computer even if you buy one already put together. Nice try at the pimp though.

Now this intrigues me... How much info do you need on the engine for this? or is a totally closed loop system with a wide band O2 sensor and learns. Personally half of the fun is doing it yourself....

14. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

If you think about this for awhile, I think you could make this happen for a lot less than $2K if you visit the salvage yard and provide the elbow grease. Or, am I just nuts?:eek:

15. jrb56

jrb56
    from Buda, TX

Rebuilt TBI - 250 times 2 (maybe less from junkyard)
    2X4 Manifold 250
    Megasquirt 300+/-
    O2 Sensors 100 ish
    Time and effort....???

Don't add up to 2k!

16. squirrel

squirrel

should be able to round up a couple of used TBIs free, if you know who to ask.

But then you could also round up a couple of 4bbl carbs for free too (a friend of mine did so recently for his stude). No computer required.

17. I have less than $200 in the Crossfire components so far. I'm missing the wiring harness and whatever TLC the throttle-bodies might need.

18. squirrel

squirrel

I put one of those crossfire setups on a chevy 305 in an old GMC pickup, it was a fun learning experience, then I woke up one day and put a 2bbl carb and intake on it, and it ran better.

Just so you'll know.

19. repoman

repoman

I've always heard it referred to as "Cease-Fire injection."

I think using a TBI, 'The juice ain't worth the squeeze'.

There's a big reason all effective injection systems go though all the trouble of adding individual port injectors.

20. Gemini EFI

Gemini EFI

Closed loop, narrow band and completely self learning.Confident enough in system to do a dyno shootout. Need displacement valve size and lift,max timing ,shift point for shift light,max rpm for rev limiter and a few other things.
    Gemini EFI

21. Gemini EFI

Gemini EFI

Closed loop, narrow band and completely self learning.Confident enough in system to do a dyno shootout. Need displacement valve size and lift,max timing ,shift point for shift light,max rpm for rev limiter and a few other things. Pics are before and after fuel maps. Alpha l generated has not 1 second of tuning
    Gemini EFI

Attached Files:

22. 1966 348 chevy

1966 348 chevy
    from mounds ok

[​IMG] here's tha 283 thats in my 63 chevy truck that we put tbi of a 88 chevy on, what i was thinkin' about doin with was findin an old offy or wiand crossram intake and put dual throttle bodys on it paint tha throttle bodys with some eastwoods carb paint to make look like carbs and put a set z28 valve cover on it to make look like a dz302

23. 1966 348 chevy

1966 348 chevy
    from mounds ok

[​IMG] here's tha 283 thats in my 63 chevy truck that we put tbi of a 88 chevy on, what i was thinkin' about doin with was findin an old offy or wiand crossram intake and put dual throttle bodys on it paint tha throttle bodys with some eastwoods carb paint to make look like carbs and put a set z28 valve cover on it to make look like a dz302