Register now to get rid of these ads!

6 volt speakers? old car radio question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

hey guys,

im going to run a MP3 player for the stereo in my 53 and for now just want to run it to a speaker in the stock location in the dash. what im wondering is if itd be alright to just run the stock 53 year old speaker thats already there? it looks fine to me and figured itd work till i get something else in there.

while i figure that it aught to be fine to run it as most modern speakers take alot of juice with amps and ect i just thought id ask before i just plug it all in and blow the speaker right off the bat.

thanx
    tim

2. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

A speaker is a speaker....no voltage involved.

Probably will sound like crap though....factory speakers are no screaming hell.....................

3. 47bob

47bob

Right or left channel? 4 or 8 ohm? Somewhere I saw a duel speaker setup that will fit in your dash hole. (dash hole?...did I say that?)

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

its a stock 1953 ford speaker. im just going to run an ipod to an amp and then onto the speaker. it hasnt got to be a wonderfull clear loud stearo just something to listen to on the 7 hour one way trip to mn for back to the 50s in case i dont come up with some cash for a new 6x9 or whatever in there right now

thanx
    tim

5. SpeedRacer2002

SpeedRacer2002

Dude if you need a 6x9 that bad ill sell ya a new pair of jvcs for 35$ i get them wholesale... or ill look for a extra around the shop.... i work at a car stereo and home audio shop....

6. squirrel

squirrel

go to the thrift store, find a set of computer speakers that runs on the same voltage as the cars's battery, and wire it in to power, plug inthe ipod, and go.

7. ray

ray
    from colorado

i say prop us some home speakers in the back seat...70's style.:D

8. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Wonder if the 20 oz. 6 x 9 Utah is still made ...

9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

lol never thought about that ray! lol
    the school messed up my finaical aid again for the billionth time so ive got about enough cash to put half a tank of gas in it lol.
    im trying to save up for some seatbelts for it so for now im just looking for a cheap way to get some tunes till i start selling some more art and can buy some belts and a new speaker.