Register now to get rid of these ads!

No more DIY Bodywork/Paint after 2007!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OGNC, Apr 4, 2006.

1. OGNC

OGNC
    Member Emeritus

Every once and a while, something comes across my desk that I think ya'll should know about. There are some big changes fixin' to happen regarding automotive refinishing products with respect to our hobbies.

It seems that the large commercial body shops have solicted the help of the EPA to pass new regs making it illegal to own, use, possess or purchase any automotive refinishing products containing VOCs after 2007; thats body filler, primer, paint, solvent etc. unless you're a federally licenced and certifed commerical shop, of course.

They are doing this primarily to try and shutdown the illegal body shops; but we in the automotive enthusisast area are all going to suffer the consequences of it as innocent bystanders.

You can read about it yourself here:

http://www.abrn.com/abrn/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=196423

This rule is the death knell of all the automotive enthusiast hobbies.

I urge you to join the SEMA Action Network:

http://www.semasan.com/san/IndividualSignup.aspx

Let em know you don't want this to happen.
    Also contact your Congress-person and let em hear that you oppose any law that limits the non-commercial enthusiast from access to these products.

2. puke on the EPA...if it was up to them, paint would be water and filler caked mud.

Thier "idiots" equivalent to "tree huggers".

Im assuming this is in Calif. only?

3. Gerg

Gerg

wow thats some bullshit. it wouldn't stop me but it might slow me down.

one short clip from that news post

Feedback, thus far, has helped the EPA identify a frustrated base of shop owners who are eager to put more money in there pocket and end a great hobby that we all love.

4. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

5. OGNC

OGNC
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, the EPA is planning to bone auto enthusiasts in the very near future. And this type of regulation by the government always drives the prices of the service provided by the industry being regulated to shoot through the roof! It'll probably cost $3,000 to have someone spray a coat of DP90 on your car after this law kicks in!

6. screwball

screwball

thats ok like proabition us Canadians will just ship it down to ya in wooden barrels.

7. Flatman

Flatman

I'll get the boat! We'll trade you Bondo for R-12 from Mexico:D

Seriously, do the protest thing, tooth and nail!

Flatman

8. I used the SEMA link above and located my two state reps email addresses...I wrote them about my concerns and I suggest you all do the same..there are lists of ~all~the states reps that are auto enthusiasts themselves.... DO IT!

9. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

I am in nv if anyone needs bondo or paint i will buy it and send it to you. how about a protest by doing burnouts everywhere. and eating bbq meat that will show the hippies.

10. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

As if it wasn't hard enough to do your own bodywork, now you have to brew your own paint! Prohibition must be around the corner. Gotta protect the kids from the evil santa too.

In the future we will all ride in cars controlled by a vast traffic computer that will let us arrive with no worries of speeding or crashing.

11. Squablow

Squablow

That might happen in Cali if it happens at all. More California carrot-farming furry beaver hippie legislation made because some hybrid driving fags couldn't find anything else to protest about. California is the most progressive state in everything except "progress".

I've got plenty of friends who will supply me with all the bootleg paint that I can handle if it ever happens. I thank God I live in Brillion (AKA middle of nowhere) Wisconsin where we don't have emissions testing, paint regulations, toll roads, or any other useless regulations from people who want to tell me what is best for me.

12. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

He said in the original post that this was being pushed by major commercial body shops. .

read it again

the EPA is not "hippie environmentalists". . it is a governmant agency that tilts the playing field in favor of those with money. Do you think Bush would run the EPA any other way?

Fox news has all of you guys pissed of at imaginary hippies when as always it is about big business against citizen rights. Stop crying about imaginary "tree huggers" and write your congressman like choprods did. . . . . . there aren't any hippies anymore. . . just all of us vs. the corporate fascists

13. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

have you been to berkley?

14. Big Dan

Big Dan

Jon............ssssssshhhhhhhhhh don,t let those guys on the left coast know how good we,ve got it.. They might want to send us some of that wisdom,, and what the hell you doin on the hamb when you should be gettin that dash out for me........... DAN:p

15. pool

pool

shamie shamie i heard the P-word:eek: wont be long till lock up time!

16. 392_hemi

392_hemi

The article says the proposed rule won't even be ready until 2007, and even after that, there will be a comment period and most likely changes before the rule is finalized, assuming it ever is. Chances are there will be a lot of opposition to this, particularly if they restrict who can buy as apposed to how it may be used. So I wouldn't consider this anywhere close to a done deal. That doesn't mean we shouldn't keep an eye on it, but it also means the sky isn't falling.

17. This is a sad fact:
    Fox news has all of you guys pissed of at imaginary hippies when as always it is about big business against citizen rights. Stop crying about imaginary "tree huggers" and write your congressman like choprods did. . . . . . there aren't any hippies anymore. . . just all of us vs. the corporate fascists

I find it truly sad that so many do-it-yourself types don't do more do-it-yourself thinking.

Hippies vs greasers or punks. Trad Rodders™ vs Goldchainers. It's the old divide and conquer deal. Don't get fooled again.

18. sounds like the r-12 r134a saga....take it away to let the big shops get bigger wallets......it will just make things more traditional because we will have to go back to lead and rattle cans....I would like to see Walimart and Home Depot stop selling them.

19. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I would think that the major paint manufacturers would be fighting this tooth and nail. They stand to loose quite a bit of revenue if only large shops can buy their product. I'm pretty sure DuPont, PPG, and the others have well paid lawyers and lobbiests that can draw this out until it looses steam.

20. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Y'all do know that they are selling water based paints now? At WalMart. In spray cans. Seems to be an OK product. The sky aint fallin

21. DrJ

DrJ

As long as I can buy resin from the marine hardware at the marina or the Plastics supply in Carson and talc or kaolin from the ceramics supply in La Mirada, I've got bondo.

Just have to mix it up myself in grandpa's old bathtub Gin tub. :cool:

It's big business lobbying for bigger government against the little guy (us) again...

Hippies use bondo to make love beads so it sure ain't them! :rolleyes: :D

When are they going to require a Chef's license to buy food?

Government = Biggest GANG in town.

22. sawzall

sawzall

well.. I DONT paint anything.. and I hate to use bondo.. but I am writing my rep anyway..

that said.. I have to agree with the "tree huggers" here. in this day and age knowing what we know about chemicals and such.. no one should be spraying out in their driveways anymore..

23. :D Oh come on now, example, Bush was not President back in 1974 when that EPA starting screwing things up, unleaded gas came out & it was bye bye to my 101 octane leaded premium (that really pi--ed me off) then EPA came out with more and more "things" that were good for us (in their minds). They have been doing these things for years no matter who was president.- My opinion is those fellas who wear girlie black tights & ride their bikes out to hug a tree are in bed with the body shop group that wants to do this. And now that I'm getting fired up I still don't care for what the Japs did in 1941 either!:D Gary 4T950 Chevy Guy

24. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

It's all about selling licenses. Has nothing to do with the environment just money. Fuck our government.

"Government = Biggest GANG in town."

Ain't that the truth.

25. Painterman

Painterman

Well as my screen name implies, I paint cars for a living from home. I just went to the SEMA website and joined SAN and used the link to write to all of the representatives here in good ol' CA. I gave em' my .02 we'll see if it does any good.

26. A wise man said: "I love my country, but I don't trust my government."

I b'lieve dat fella's right…

27. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

This is the only thing that will do any good. . .

28. murdercycles

murdercycles

Call me Junior Johnson. I will bootleg metalflake in the trunk of my 39 Coupe to those city folk for Friday night. [​IMG]
    Like I heard at the movies this week. "People should not fear their government, the government should fear the people."
    Ray in CT

29. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

"When paint is outlawed, only outlaws will have paint."

30. True

True

I am a hippie, tree huggin', vegetarian...hot rodder, and I am getting ready right now to paint my own car, with a couple more paint projects right down the line. Will be interesting to see if this will apply to Auto Air Colors. Haven't used them before but my left wing, anti corporate, commie-pinko sensibilities have me leaning that direction anyhow.

True