Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 03-30-2006, 08:10 AM   #1
Benzine440
Old School HAMBer

Default Minneapolis-Moline UDLX Comfortractor

The latest Hemmings has a litte feature on this unusual farm implement. I have the strangest sensation that a HAMB member has one.
If not then it must be some kind of oversight.
Can anyone hear me?

Why am I asking, you ask? It looks like and in fact is a sort of Kustom/Hotrod tractor. Weirdsville. But Kool. But weird with a beard dad.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:16 AM   #2
Brad54
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: Minneapolis-Moline UDLX Comfortractor

I haven't seen the article, but I have seen Minneapolis-Miline tractors (don't know which models though).
My goal is to find a piece of property to build a house on that is big enough that I have to find a vintage tractor to mow, run fence and do basic utility work around the place.
Vintage tractors are such a deep part of the American culture--they take us back to a time when the family farm was the backbone of our country.
-Brad

Gear Jam Vintage Drags Sept 27 www.gearjamdrags.com
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:17 AM   #3
tjm73
Old School HAMBer

More pics about half way down this page. http://robertpence.com/maumee_v_05_p1.html

I think these were supposed to be a double duty tractor for the farmer that needed a tractor and a car. In super rural America this could be both

Last edited by tjm73; 03-30-2006 at 08:23 AM.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-30-2006, 08:20 AM   #4
Bigcheese327
Alliance Member

Ahh, back before my wife was even my fiancee, she sent me a picture of that via email. She said it reminded her of me and was on a calendar at the farm where she was working that summer. So I will always have a soft spot for that particular tractor.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:31 AM   #5
Benzine440
Old School HAMBer

DINGDINGDING!!!

That's it. That is the Comfortractor. It was designed to work in the fields Monday through Friday and then be driven to town like a car on Saturday.An all weather cab. Driving postion lowered, one door in the rear, full dashboard and gauges, heater-defroster, glovebox, cigarette lighter, a jumpseat for the Missus.
When operated as a tractor it did about 25 mph. OPerated as a car it would do about 45 mph.
Cost $1900 in 1938. M-M made about 150, sold about 100 and converted the remainder to cabless, conventional style tractors when they failed to sell. The conventional model U sold for about $1000.

I love this sort of failure.

Your wife said it reminded her of you? Interesting.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:46 AM   #6
Tman
Old School HAMBer

I have seen a few in person, very cool. If you hit a Borders or Barnes and Noble you will find a cool history book on Mpls Moline tractors as well as books for other brands!
Old 03-30-2006, 08:58 AM   #7
tjm73
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzine440
DINGDINGDING!!!

That's it. That is the Comfortractor. It was designed to work in the fields Monday through Friday and then be driven to town like a car on Saturday.An all weather cab. Driving postion lowered, one door in the rear, full dashboard and gauges, heater-defroster, glovebox, cigarette lighter, a jumpseat for the Missus.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:00 AM   #8
1952henry

I saw an auction result for one recently; very close to $100,000. Not a hot seller in the 30s, due to that pesky depression.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:20 AM   #9
Mike Zenor
Old School HAMBer

Doubt if any HAMBers have one... my dad (a farmer) was at a tractor auction last year where one sold $100,000+

Primates CC
Old 03-30-2006, 09:23 AM   #10
Mike Zenor
Old School HAMBer

By the way, for you west coasters and anywhere tree farming is done - keep your eyes peeled for discarded orchard tractors, they can fetch big $

Primates CC
Old 03-30-2006, 11:21 AM   #11
g503

pioneer power has had many at each meet, one guy owns 5 or 6 i thnk, never too early to anounce the swap meet this year and the show in august

http://www.pioneerpowershow.com/

Last edited by g503; 03-30-2006 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:49 AM   #12
Big Dad
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by g503
pioneer power has had many at each meat, one guy owns 5 or 6 i thnk, never too early to anounce the swap meet this year and the show in august

What do you have when you have one green ball in each hand ?
Old 03-30-2006, 03:10 PM   #13
38mag
Grenade Inspector

A friend of mine near Butler,Pa has one of the M-M comfort tractors,he also has 17 other M-M tractors.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:48 PM   #14
chuckspeed
Alliance Member

I just love the MM comfortractor!

It was MM's whack at taking a tractor to town; the reverse of Henry taking a car to the country. It was a miserable failure at the time, but now is one of the most coveted tractors there are.

If you like this sorta stuff - watch RFDTV on Sunday nites at 9:00 EDT. Classic Tractor Calendar - or Classic Tractor Special. Cool as hell, methinks.

You ain't felt REAL torque until you've piloted a classic tractor...
Old 03-30-2006, 05:06 PM   #15
Brad54
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by g503
pioneer power has had many at each meet, one guy owns 5 or 6 i thnk, never too early to anounce the swap meet this year and the show in august

If you're involved with this show, you might want to put the actual location of the show somewhere on the site. Or at least somewhere easy to find. Like on the home page! I looked and couldn't find it. I'm thinking it's in Minnesota, only because the right side of that state outline looks like the portion that fits Wisconsin.

-Brad

Gear Jam Vintage Drags Sept 27 www.gearjamdrags.com
Old 03-30-2006, 07:02 PM   #16
Hoptup Jalop

i saw one on the rdftv channel a few weeks ago.some old cat in minnisota i think owned it with dozens of other running tractors........very cool.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:45 PM   #17
fatty
Grenade Inspector

Location: In the middle of the flat state Iowa we got corn do you?

I have seen one at a thresher show. Very very cool. I did know a girl from my home town that restored tractors. She was talking about having a car/tractor to restore in her Grandpas machine shed. I should give her a ring and see what it is....
Old 03-31-2006, 08:42 AM   #18
nobux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad54
If you're involved with this show, you might want to put the actual location of the show somewhere on the site. Or at least somewhere easy to find. Like on the home page! I looked and couldn't find it. I'm thinking it's in Minnesota, only because the right side of that state outline looks like the portion that fits Wisconsin.

-Brad
LeSuer,MN
Old 03-31-2006, 04:57 PM   #19
Benzine440
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatty
I have seen one at a thresher show. Very very cool. I did know a girl from my home town that restored tractors. She was talking about having a car/tractor to restore in her Grandpas machine shed. I should give her a ring and see what it is....
Sir, when a lady hints about something good waiting in the shed you had best be attentive to her.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:44 AM   #20
Certo
FNG

The 1938 Minneapolis-Moline UDLX Comfortractor, also called "Deluxe U," was one of the earliest cab tractors. There was only one production run for these 50 horsepower class UDLXs in which 125 units were made. The rarety and beauty of this great machine combine to make it about a one hundred thousand dollar collector's item. They sold new for $2150.00, about double the price of the standard U. Top speed was 40mph and they came with a spotlight, dash fan, cigarette lighter, radio and heater. It had a foot clutch while other models had hand clutches. It also sports a jump seat. Some states required liscense tags and the tractor came with a tag bracket.

Should you be lucky enough to catch the program, you can see a beautifully restored one moving around the yard of Sheldon Knutson, of Goodridge, Mn. RFD channel shows a program called "Machinery of the Past."