Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does anyone have pictures of the X-sonic Vette?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SilentMind415, Mar 29, 2006.

1. SilentMind415

SilentMind415
    from Stockton

I was wondering if anyone had pictures of X-Sonic built by Ron Aguirre. It was mentioned in the air bags thread and it led me to start searching for pictures of it. I googled it and searched around on here but couldnt find any pics except for one little thumbnail on a site that was in spanish. I know its kind of more in lowrider territory (they claim it as theres anyways) but I figured you guys could help me out. :confused:

2. DrJ

DrJ

Still looking for a pic...
    He (and his Dad) did the first (known) hydraulics and bubble top on a custom car.
    http://www.lowridermagazine.com/historybook/0000lrm_history3/
    It's said that Ed Roth went to them to get his bubble tops.
    I remember seeing the car driving around the parking lot at the Long Beach Arena befor Ron put it in the show.
    No one was in the car!
    He was driving it by R/C transmitter while standing be the curb!

I remember the tail lights looked like they were hand blown glass.

Your comment about it being a "Lowrider" isn't exactly correct.
    It was a custom car.

All the cars we might call "Lowriders," now, were custom cars, then.

The DRIVER was the Lowrider, if he chose to assume the identity, not the car.

What I remember of Ron (from seeing him once, for a few minutes, 40 years ago) was a guy dressed in "ivy league" or "Preppy" clothes, "styled" hair, pretty much dressed the same way I was but with better shoes...
    and not anything like any fantasy images of what we think lowriders are today.

3. SilentMind415

SilentMind415
    from Stockton

[​IMG]

Thats the only pic I can find of it. And you're right DrJ its not a lowrider but for some reason thats the only place I can find any info on it thus my comment. I remember Ron Aguirre being featured in lowrider magazine like 15 years ago or so but I cant find anything on that article either.

4. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

This car was for sale in Whittier,CA. about ten years or so, Pat Ganahl did a blip on it in R&C mentioning that is was around $5k for just a fraction of what the car used to be. I believe the hydraulics were still in it @ the time, but she was just a glass shell by then. A lilttle while later. I heard that someone bought and had started a resto on it.
    Can't tell ya much more. Call Primedia or PM RF and see what he can dig up on it, He used to be Custom Rodders editor. I'm sure he can find many more quality pics of the X-Sonic!
    Kevin:D

5. mikes51

mikes51

6. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

There's a couple of pics and some info in Pat Genahl's book "History of Custom Cars." Neat ride. One of, if not THE first car to get a bubble roof. And pretty certain it was the first car with hydraulics, probably why it's popping up on lowrider sites. Neat car...

7. SilentMind415

SilentMind415
    from Stockton

thanks for the pics...and the book info, I'll check them out.

8. Painterman

Painterman

Wow, I just saw in one of those old photos that Ron Aguirre is from Rialto. I was born and raised there. I will talk to my Uncle and see if he knows him or of him and see if I can dig up some info. My Uncle has had a body shop in Rialto for about the last 40 years and was really into the whole custom/hotrod thing back in the day. He was one of the founders of the Deacons cc there. Maybe he knows something. I'll let you know.................

9. Somewhere in my gigantic pile of old mags, I have the issue with that car in it. I'll look for it if I get a free minute tomorrow.

10. Painterman

Painterman

Well I talked to both of my Uncles. Seems they both knew Ron. My one Uncle said the car had been worked on at the shop he worked at before he started his own shop. It was called "Browns Auto Body" He has pictures of it he is going to dig up for me. My other Uncle says he has a book about the car somewhere. He is going to find it for me. I'll post everything when I get it.

11. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Did you ever find anything on the Vette? In-progress pics would be phenomenal. Thanks.

12. Painterman

Painterman

My Uncle recently moved and is still digging through boxes. Hopefully he'll find the pics soon. I'll keep you posted.

13. buikwag

buikwag
    1. Buick Nailheads

Found this pic off a post card from Car Craft magazine. I lived in Rialto from 51 to 73 and the back of my house faced the big barn where this car was built in. Spent some time over there just watching Ron, his brother Filbert and his dad working on the car.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Wow!!!! :eek:

Man, I hope you have some stories to share.

I found a couple more, in an earlier state. This is from the June '60 Motor Trend (thank you Rikster!!).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Not the X-sonic, but here is some more show-Vette goodness. :cool:

The dual-bubble car is a '57 fuelie... I'd love to run that up to Bloomington...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Isn't this the car credited with being the first with hydraulic suspension? That's my understanding. (Ron Aguirre's, not the one above)

17. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Yes, using surplus B-52 aircraft components.

It's also credited with being the first bubble-top car EVER. Well I guess I just blew that theory right out of the water! Seeing as how the X-sonic doesn't have a bubble here, and there is a dual-bubble Vette in the same magazine...

18. Ruiner

Ruiner

ok, the car with the square door pull knobs and molded headlights is STUNNING...what a fabulous work that is...I was never a big fan of 60's show cars, but that takes the cake...I'd love to see more pics on that thing...what a knockout...

19. I agree, the curved fender line from the front, back to the windshield really flows well. Hard to improve on an early vette, but that one I like.

20. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

The only other picture of the car itself is there in the 3-car lineup with X-Sonic.

The magazine features two other pictures of that car, both small detail shots - one of the rear with square pulls in the tail lens, and another of the padded dashboard.

It really is phenomenal.

21. MarkX

MarkX
    from ...TX

I have actually tried to contact Ron about info and unpublished photos or build-up photos, and told him I have a Vette body and I was Building a clone he never responded,........ I sent another email and either his secretary or his wife responded and stated that Ron would contact me shortly............ that was over 6 months ago. So I have hit a brick wall with that it seems. I have been told by Gene Winfield and the editors at Lowrider that some big shot is having the car restored somewhere in Ca.....It seems Somebody does NOT want me to build this car........... but I am!

If any one can help with any Info I would greatly appriciate it. I plan to post pics soon, Im still collecting parts and info right now.

Mark

22. MarkX

MarkX
    from ...TX

like this

Attached Files:

23. Ruiner

Ruiner

I'd love to see the Bob Yoas car go up for auction at Barret Jackson and listen to those schmucky broadcasters bitch about the drawer pull knobs and the "tacky" 60's mods...I think it looks absolutely perfect...I'd love to see the rear detail shots to get an idea of how the back of the car looks...

24. Rikster

Rikster

Here is the R&C article that reported the X-Sonic Vette beeing found. The body looks to be in good shape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cyclone Kevin and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. Omega

Omega
    from Mass

:eek: That is amazing...

26. SilentMind415

SilentMind415
    from Stockton

Rickstr you Rock man, I've never seen any of those before (except the color one which I think you posted before) Thanks!

27. MarkX

MarkX
    from ...TX

Rikster,.............. once again, you are amazing!.... those pics are great... I guess I should be flipping through OLD mags to see what I can find too.

28. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Mark, if you're interested, I can send you this July '60 issue of Motor Trend. May be some details in there that can help you out.

As you can tell though, it's an early build. It didn't have the hydraulics, bubble, and was running quad headlights. That's quite a bit different than the Jetsonesque version at the end of its career...

29. Nah...then some "collector" would get rich of someone else's vision...

30. buikwag

buikwag
    1. Buick Nailheads

Just for info the top was made in San Bernardino at a place called the House of Plastics on E Street. They also made the Plastic Bubble inserts for Dick Patterson's 30 Ford Coupe with the dual Paxton Supercharged 312 Y Block. No longer in business as far as I know.