Register now to get rid of these ads!

Turbo 350 transmission trouble

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chopped 34, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Chopped 34

Chopped 34

I have turbo 350 trans in a street rod that has been sitting for 20 years. The car has never been on road. Car is on jack stands(4). When I put shifter in park I can spin rear tires which doesn't seem normal for park. Any ideas?? Something broke? Because it hasn't been run?

2. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

is the drive shaft turning or is the other tire spinning the oppsite direction?

3. Yes - Trans in park should lock drive shaft.
    Hell, who knows - there could be no spider gears in the rear end

4. Chopped 34

Chopped 34

Drive shaft spins and wheel spins opposite as if it were in drive

5. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Im thinking its an open rear, as in not a posi...

6. Chopped 34

Chopped 34

Motor rebuilt, trans rebuilt and 9 inch ford rear was sent out for rebuild all 20 years ago

7. Chopped 34

Chopped 34

I would think that "park" would lock tranny and wheels would not move? Nor drive shaft spin

8. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

If the wheels are spinning oppsite directions, then the drive shaft probably isnt turning. Try spinning the drive shaft by hand. If the drive shaft is spinning by hand then disconnect the shift linkage and try putting it to the part position at the trans...

9. Make sure the shifter is actually engaging trans into the park position.

10. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

Sounds like the park mechanism is not engaging. Shift linkage not adjusted or disconnected? If it is in park the drive shaft will not rotate. A simple check might be to disconnect the shifter and manually move the tranny lever to park position. One thing that I can add is that if it has not run for 20 years I would not start it without first removing the tranny and renewing the front seal (use Vaseline on the lip of the new seal and you can let it sit for another 20). When one sits that long the front seal will be dry and will self destruct when it's first started. It'll look like the Exon Valdez turned over in your garage!

11. 100% on locking the drive shaft from turning.
    With the rear wheels up in the air on jack stands the wheels will certainly turn no matter where the trans is including park unless there is a locker or spool in the rear end.

Take the linkage loose and with only the arm out of the trans and move it at the Trans into park.
    That eliminates a shifter adjustment or linkage problem.

12. Chopped 34

Chopped 34

Thanks to all replies, I will try your ideas. My father had car in his garage for 25 years with all sorts of tools around it now I have it in my garage with all sorts of tools around it!

13. Chopped 34

Chopped 34

Figure I'll keep it for 25 years and pass it on to my son and he can store his tools around it