Register now to get rid of these ads!

America's Most Beautiful Roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 29, 2008.

1. And how will they know which 10 of us might be the judges? Answer, they wont!:D

2. tedster

tedster

3. Sounds like a great idea to me!

4. The trophy should be red and beige. :)

5. injunjoes

injunjoes

thats the best idea I have heard in a while nothing like throwin a big Fu to the billet and overdone cars. there were so many well deserving cars at the show that i noticed just by looking at the picks sounds like a great idea

6. RF

RF

Really? Why not just pull a Unabomber move on next year's AMBR trophy--after the main building is blown to bits and taken all inviduals involved with GNRS with it, the terrain's wide open to start a fresh.

7. KIRK!

KIRK!

Read my post above.

8. damnfingers

damnfingers

Ryan...Will the 10 chosen actually go to the show in order to make their selection? Or will they be picking based on photographs like the majority of the HAMBers? That wasn't clear to me in your proposal.:confused:

It's a great idea though...but I sure hope we get to see better photos than we've seen of the winner this year (godawful ugly, btw).:D

9. Me thinks we should practice on this years show. Kinda see if it will work.
    How will "our" judges be chosen?
    I am kinda frightened, but my eyes are ablaze with anticipatory delight.

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Judges will be present.

And RF, you sound a bit... well, weird. Snap out of it son.

11. <TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">About as traditional as a new invention! Rags
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

12. NiteOwlChris

NiteOwlChris

FUCK YEA!!!! the best idea I have heard about indoor shows in a long long time.....I hope I can make it to the gnrs next year.

great idea Ryan

thanks
    Chris

13. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

14. RF

RF

Nope. Guess my "why" went over, well, like a package bomb. Don't see the point. Then again, I don't go to McDonalds for a quad latte...at least not yet.

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

brilliant, absolutely brilliant...

16. Hey, that's not "beige."

It's "Napa Champagne Zirconium Stargleam."

17. Mike

Mike

18. Huzzah, huzzah.

Maybe chromedrat could cast something? There are a ton of amazing talents on here, I'm looking forward to seeing what the trophy looks like.

I like the idea of a big trophy that gets passed along, but there should be a plaque or something too that the winner gets to keep... so their grandchildren can auction it online later. :D

19. You sir, simply have a way with words! And you STILL owe me a beer:p

20. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

I think it is a great idea. I also think those that receive it will be cool enough to appreciate it.

21. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

Ryan and all,

This is very much like what has happened to the B.J. down in Scottsdale. The B.J. auction has become outragous for the average person, so there has sprung up I believe at least five other auctions that same week, spread thru out the Phoenix valley. No one of them claimed to be out doing the B.J. auction, they just catered to a different clientele.

The other auction houses had some dyno'mite cars but they just werent't the "Perfect" collector type of cars.

To be sure, this site is and has been for the more of "Traditional" type of cars. The types that most of us can afford, remember, and can relate to.

I believe our hobby revolves around the Hot Rod type of car, rather than the Street Rod, for that very reason of all the Bling just wasn't available or used in the past.

This is not to take away from the craftsmanship of those that have been made with a lot of the shinny stuff, because there is some beautiful workmanship on those cars. But by the same token, there are those here, that are also craftsman in their own right.

This seems to take on the air much like the Hollywood Oscars. There would be a award for best, say period roadster, best period custom, perhaps best car other than a Ford, to recognize those who build something other than a Ford. ETC ETC..Where as, as it is now, it is one winner take all.

I throw my hat in the ring in support of your proposal Ryan.

HellRaiser

22. Indy 500? Does anyone know how hard it is to get a ticket?!?! helluva prize.

23. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Fuck yeah Ryan. Preach on it brother and spread that gospel!!!!

24. Come and get it, friend-o. You going to Austin this year?

25. I like the idea, and frankly would invlove a huge number of folks who can't make it to the show...

Keeping the submitted photographs limited to key areas like front/rear 3/4 views, engine, interior, etc. to maintain even exposure to all nominees, and a time limit for the HAMB laymen such as myself to vote.

Hopefully that would help everyone channel their aggression towards the "official" AMBR into something constructive...

Probably wouldn't be hard to get a small contribution from a bunch of folks to cover any costs...

Overall a great idea Ryan...

Todd

26. Gigantor

Gigantor

Muahahaha!! Boss, you are a wicked man with a good head on his shoulders. Fuckin-A.

27. Wesley

Wesley

There are ALOT more of us than they think!

28. sled

sled

Ryan,i'm with you with a bunch of mexicans supportin the idea,GO ON!!!
    i can't stand that car,man!!!!it hurts my eyes...

29. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

Absolutely genius Ryan. I cant wait to see how it turns out.

30. Scott B

Scott B
    from Colorado?

I guess if it makes everybody feel good, have at it.
    I kinda miss the point though.
    I mean sure, there is history to the AMBR award, maybe it has gotten off track.

But really? It's all aesthetic arguement, ultimately.
    It's like going to the Oscars, to hand out my own best picture award.

I don't take myself that seriously.