Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The Kustomrama Survivor - Old Barris Kustom Found in Sweden

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SuperFleye, Oct 31, 2009.

1. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

During the 1950s hundreds, or maybe even thousands of cars went through the doors at the Barris Kustoms shop. Some received extensive restyling resulting in several prices at car shows all over the USA, and lots of magazine coverage, while other received minor modifications such as shaving door handles, frenching headlights, installing new taillights, or even a new and more exclusive grille. Last week while browsing through a swedish classified site called www.blocket.se I found an old 1949 Chevrolet Club Coupe listed as an old Barris kustom. I instantly thought yeah right, but decided to take a closer look at the ad due to my curiousness. After deciding that the car looked to be in decent shape considering the price I decided to take a look at the car, and found myself heading for Sweden the next day. Being a fan of 1954 Pontiac grilles, I really dug the look of the car, and after checking over it, and the original receipt from Barris Kustoms (check below), a deal was done, and I was the proud owner of an old survivor mildly kustomized '49 Chevy :)

According to the documentation I got with the car, the Chevy was owned by a gentleman named Tom Carroll of Culver City, California. At Barris Kustom Automobiles the car received a 1954 Pontiac grille, and had the hood and door handles were shaved. In addition to that the car was fit with a 1950 Oldsmobile windshield and dual spotlights, the deck lid was also shaved. Inside the car received a white Naugahyde interior. The seats were rolled and pleated, while the door sides and roofliner was done in plain white. The carpet is black with white piping. The trim around the windshield, side windows, and rear window were chrome plated. The glovebox compartment door is also chrome plated. The doorhandles inside were also removed and replaced by buttons and solenoids.

Under the hood the stock motor was kept, but hopped up featuring a 3 carburetor offenhauser intanke manifold, 3 chromed single port carbs, offenhauser valve cover, mallory ignition, comp cam, and fenton headers. According to the guy I bought it from the car was driven until 1959. In 1959 the engine blew up, and the owner stuffed the car away. The car was supposedly kept in storage until around 2003. In 2003 the 216 engine was replaced by a 235 engine. But the job was never completed, so the car hasn't been on the road yet. The car came to Sweden 1 month ago, and the owner there hooked the engine up and made the car drivable again. The car was now powered by a stock 235 engine, but all of the old speed equipment followed the car, and the Swedish owner did never install an exhaust on it in case the new owner would like to install the fenton headers with dual exhaust on it.

The car is in a great condition, and it looks like it has been stored in a time capsule since 1959.... ehh a capsule not being buried in Tulsa at least :) There is no rust on it, and it is easy to spot that the car hasn't been driven or wrenched too much on. Underneath the black paint, there is purple paint, so chances are that the car has been purple once in its life, and the probably during the 50s. The dashboard is painted in dark brown/black. There is no date on the receipt from Barris Kustoms, but since they fit it with a 1954 Pontiac grille it had to be done after 1953/1954. On the receipt the shop is also located in Lynwood, so the job had to be done before 1961. Maybe someone here on the HAMB knows when they used the logo/ad used on this receipt.

I'm really thrilled about finding such a good preserved mild custom. I feel this is a typically high school mild custom kind of car. A custom for the regular man in the street. Finding this car in Sweden, 2 and a half hour away from my hometown in Oslo is even more amazing! It has been a long week waiting to pick up the car, but today the day was finally here :) Below are some pictures I took today. If anyone know anything about Tom Carrol or ofcourse the car I would love to hear from you. Barris took plenty of photos from the shop, so maybe the car can be spotted in the background of any of these, or maybe even Tom could have sent a letter to one of the little magazines of the day sharing a photo and some info on his car!

I'm planning to preserve the car in its current condition. Maybe lower it some, and install new firestones biases with Cadillac sombreros.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

Great find. I had a '49 Chevy coupe back in the mid-80s - it was a great car (I had the 6 banger in mine). Congrats

3. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

You're right. That car is perfect as it sits. Beautiful!

4. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

So cool!!! I love the car, perfect, and the paperwork is bitchin!! Cheap back then!!

5. ELD

ELD

Very cool car and a great story. Hope someone here as more info.

6. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

I WANT IT!:DVery NICE indeed!

Nick.

7. neverliftmotorsports

neverliftmotorsports

Thats a nice car. Good find.

8. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

Very cool find, and LOL @ "buried in Tulsa" too! :D

9. Very nice find.I'm sure someone here can help you.I was able to find out some of the history of my car thru some fellow Hambers.

Best of luck with it.:cool:

10. madpole

madpole

sweet looking car. $14 bux to shave the handles??? nice clean looking car. congratulations!!

11. Crease

Crease

Nice find SF!!!

12. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Awesome story.Almost too good to be true.That's a real nice car.Only can agree,just lower the ass another 2 inches,Stones and nice caps and you're done.The receipt coming with the car is too cool.Enjoy your Barris Kustom !

13. MEYER8821

MEYER8821

What a great find! I would love to have one of those cars

14. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks guys! I'm glad you like the car :)

15. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

And yeah The FrenZ, a couple of inches in the rear would help a lot. Today the car is already blocked up in the rear, I will put on as high blocks as possible during this winter

16. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

Awesome. that would be a dream come true to most of us. congratulations.

17. Great score, really cool car and story:),
    lets see, Sweden got a Barris custom and the U.S. got Ann-Marget :rolleyes:,
    I am thinking we came out a head on that one:cool:

18. fisher_man_matt

fisher_man_matt

Congrats on the find. Beautiful car!

19. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Sweden had a Barris Kustom....now Norway has one...haha

20. 'Mo

'Mo

More than like it ....love it!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  21. Lucky444

Lucky444

Great Coupe! I'm digging the grille treatment a lot. Congrats on such a good score.

22. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

cool car nice garnish moulding and steering wheel

23. Chris Melzo

Chris Melzo
    from Reno, NV

24. teddyp

teddyp

Great car enjoy it

25. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations SuperFleye!!! Very nice. One thing concerning the multi-carb intake and the dual exhaust manifolds. If they were built for the 216 engine, they won't work as well on the 235 as a system designed specifically for the 235. They will bolt on, and they will work, but the 235 has larger intake and exhaust ports than the 216, so the manifolds may have the smaller ports. Look closely at this to be sure. Good luck. -- Rick

26. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Good for you! Thats an awesome find!

27. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks for the tip, I will look closely. I know nothing about those engine so I guess I have to do some research on them. Have considering finding a 216 to put in it again

28. moon man

moon man
    BANNED

good score love the old prices.....