Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Best banger rear end ratio

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by youngsspeed, Apr 13, 2014.

1. youngsspeed

youngsspeed

I am getting my suspension sorted out and was wondering what gear ratios you guys prefer. I am running a '37 banjo rear with 4.11's the motor is a '32 4 banger with a T-5. The T-5 has the low 1st gear which is ok. The rear tire are 30 inches tall. What do you guys think? Should I change to 3.78 gears or just leave the 4.11's in?
    Thanks

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. 4 banger 4 life

4 banger 4 life
    from ohio

Hell 4.11s with a t 5 would be fine behind a bange I would drive the wheels off of it

3. manyolcars

manyolcars

what did you have to do to get the T5 to fit the B motor and how is it connected to the 37 axle?

4. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I'm running a B with a CRAGAR and a T-5 with a 3:78 rear end and 30" tires with no problems. Did a 200 mile tour last month running 60-65 MPH, no sweat. My car weighs about 2400 pounds.

Attached Files:

5. manyolcars

manyolcars

OK do how did YOU do it?

6. adavis

adavis

I think 4.11's would be a low. You will pretty much waste first gear in the T5 since it is already so low. I run 3.78's in my coupe with 7.00x16's on the rear and it does great (mildly built model B motor). I can cruise at 70 no problem, but when I hit a hill I'll downshift to 4th to keep the rpm's up to spin the water pump.
    Since you already have the 4.11's in you can try it out, but I think you'll be shifting to second as soon as the car starts rolling.

manyolcars..........I used a Dwight Bond adapter. It allows you to put an S10 T5 behind a model A/B banger using an AA bellhousing. Cool thing is you still get to use the stock model A pedals and they're in the right place.

7. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I used an Auto Restorations kit for my conversation and reinforced the rear radius rods. I think that adavis has a better way to do it and there are several threads here on installing the Jeep T-5 and retaining the torque tube. If I had it to do over again, I might consider the Mitchell overdrive and syncro A transmission.

8. manyolcars

manyolcars

Thanks for the replies. Didnt Dwight Bond go out of business?

The AA bellhousing does not have the clutch/brake rod like the A bellhousing.

9. 4bangertroy

4bangertroy
    from Phoenix

I got an adapter from Dwight Bond a few weeks ago.

10. adavis

adavis

You are correct sir, which is why the Dwight Bond adapter is so cool. It HAS the shaft for the stock pedals, and puts them exactly in the stock location. Couldn't be easier.

11. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

T5 trans have about 6 or more different gear sets it will depend on which gear set you have

12. BLACKNRED

BLACKNRED

I have just adapted a Tremec 6 speed to a 33 Model B, converted the rear to a four bar type setup, running 4.11:1 36 diff converted to open drive shaft.

Used a BB bell housing and made my own sandwich plate, AA bell housing has a different bolt pattern and shape where it meets the engine housing, gearbox pattern is the same.

13. doinbad

doinbad
    from celina tn

any pics of the adapter to put in a t5 i have one would love to put in my t

14. Do you have any pictures? Where does the shifter come through the floor?
    Thanks Richard

15. BLACKNRED

BLACKNRED

Shifter ends up approx. 8" further back than original but still 4" in front of the seat, this is accomplished by using an aftermarket shifter plate ( $140 delivered ).

I am in the process of choosing clutch and pressure plate.

Attached Files:

patmanta likes this.