Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 62 Bel Air Daily Driver Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shane Spencer, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Ok this wont be so much of a build as just a minor refresh. My apache is my full on fabrication project, I want this to be a simple mild custom. Picked up a 62 bel air with a 235 and a glide in it. I know its a 4 door but I like it so shoot me :D. I drove it home two and a half hours with no issues. It has an exhaust rattle and a blown squeaky shock. Needs an interior and had some rap video rims on it. Other than that its super clean and ready to roll

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

So the first order of business was to ditch the rap rims. The original steels and a set of pin whites came with the car. Sanded em down and sprayed em black and threw on some trim rings I had layin around. I need spider caps bad lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Next was settin the car down low and gettin new shocks to eliminate the squeaks and bouncy ride. Cut 1 1/2 coils up front and almost 2 1/2 out back. I think it sets pretty nice. You can see the old shocks compressed and didnt even move lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

XERB and GypsySurfer like this.
  4. 65PANELRAT

65PANELRAT

Ouch! Sweet! I would be proud to cruise that all day long! Very Nice!:)

5. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Lmao I posted a thread before and it got deleted because of the rims when I drove it home so I didnt wanna post pics of the car till I had the appropriate rims :D

6. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

So I ordered carpet and then changed plans like a dumbass after I ordered it. So long story short I pretty much have to eat the cost of this carpet and get the color I want now. They wont take it on return and it wasnt too expensive at all so I may just throw this under the navy blue carpet im ordering. Maybe itll work as sound deadener lol. Heres a pic of the carpet I have. Im gonna run navy blue carpet n my seats and dash similar to the second pic. White outers and dark blue pleated centers with blue piping. Dark blue dash and column with a white wheel

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Other than that its just gonna be polishing trim, cleaning up random shit and tinkering with it a lot, just like any other old car lol

8. slammed

slammed

Good work. Making a custom daily! What is the part number for your front/rear shocks?

9. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Great work on your car, I like it!

10. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

thanks guys. i believe there 5766 and 5765. ill have to double check on that. anybody wanna buy a brand new carpet cheap :D

11. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Those make great drivers. I drove a 63 like that all through college. 40,000 miles and no hassles.

12. slammed

slammed

What is the color? The pix is shadow ridden.

13. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Carpets blue. Kinda like the stock carpet color for the blue turquoise interiors

14. slammed

slammed

Carpet is black? If it will fit a 2dr Ht '61 I am interested.

15. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

This was my first plan on the interior but I decided to go full custom with it. Colors real close to this

[​IMG]

16. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

looking good, sounds like a fun cruiser.

17. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

That's one neat Chebbie you got there. Looks like you got the 14" station wagon wheels ta boot. Nice job!

18. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Na I thought u meant the shocks. Carpets blue. It said 61 to 64 was the same layout. Mines a four door but if its as simple as trimming a few inches off the front edge id imagine itd fit

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Casual driver. I like it.

20. slammed

slammed

Snap a pix or two in the sun, it may be dark enough color to go with my dash. Thank-ya kindly.

21. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

For some reason Ive always liked the 4 door 62s better than the 2 doors unless of course it was a bubble top, but then the worth of one of those wouldnt let me keep it long before someone else wanted it worse than me.:D

Not to screw with any of you guys deals on the carpet but I think I could live with a little contrast in color in the floor or buy a can of dye and spray it darker rather than lose money on it.

22. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Yea I honestly never thought id ever own a 4 door. But the design of this car is tolerable in my mind. I actually like it alot.

And im still not sure what im doing with the carpet. If I can sell it and only lose 20 or 30 bucks ill just get a new carpet sent out. Im waiting on vinyl swatches to pick the seat colors so ill make my final decision as to whether im keeping it then

23. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

Controversial View ! (heheheeeeee)

Myself, I just like 'cool old cars'.:D

24. I love 62's, and the fact that it's a 4 door doesn't bother me at all! In fact, I have one sitting in my trailer just waiting for winter so I can turn it into a daily driver too! I dig yours, nice job cleaning it up.

25. elba

elba

Very nice car you have there. Just a little trivia about 62S. Notice that your BOWTIE on your trunk is GOLD. That was the first year for gold. 62 was the 50th anniversary of Chevrolet.

kiwijeff likes this.
  26. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Thanks guys. So ive come to terms that my exhaust is a piece of shit lol. Ive fixed 4 rattled and each time a new one will occur after the old ones fixed. I need to pull the whole damn thing and weld it up bitchin. Maybe tomorrow. I pulled the d/s front coil this morning and trimmed it to level the front up, it was sittin crooked. I hit the crossmember twice so far. Maryland roads are shitty and its only happened on bumpy ass two lanes when I was cruisin pretty quick. Ill probably go to drop springs eventually. Also I found a set of supremes with pin whites for $350. If the guy still has em im gonna pull the trigger and get em. I know supremes have been overdone lately but ive always loved them and finally have a car to run em on. If anyones got a set let me know. Ill be looking for a set if these ones fall through

[​IMG]

XERB and kiwijeff like this.
  27. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Also found this 63 catalina in the junkyard, not a lot of old stuff around here. 90 days and its crushed. I wanted the steering wheel but someone had ruined it trying to remove the column. They have the cool clear acrylic rims on the wheels. Heres the best pic of the carpet I could get, its a little deeper blue than the pic shows

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. 65PANELRAT

65PANELRAT

I know supremes have been overdone lately
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App![/QUOTE]

What? Overdone? I can't wait to see your 62 with Supremes! My favorite!

29. slammed

slammed

The Supremes will compliment the chrome that is on the already black car. It will lend a more retro mild custom look to the present (and seemingly everywhere) black steelies or w a y run into the ground: red wheels/black body. I like the color of the carpet. Lets talk.

BonaDrag likes this.