Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Modular tool stand

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by error404, Apr 15, 2014.

1. error404

error404
    from CA

So, I've got this flywheel from the diesel motor that I put into my old jeep, it's 13" across and weighs about 45 pounds. I'm thinking about making a T shape welded to the flywheel to make somewhat of a universal/modular stand for my commonly used tools that require a stand or a base. Bench grinder, bench vice, scroll saw, portable band saw, bench-top drill press, and anything else that you might typically mount to a bench, or to a stand-alone floor stand.

I don't have alot of room in my garage, so having multiple tools that can be stored away anywhere with only one tall stand would be a great benefit to me. I am currently using a metal saw horse to do this job, but the saw horse takes up alot of space where ever I place it, it always seems to be in the way. I think a slender stand with a heavy base would take up 1/3 of the total space, and be alot more practical. I could safely mount tools and accessories up the length of the stand as well, and added benefit.

The only tool that I wish to keep on a dedicated stand is my TJ2 tube bender, it's so heavy and so awkward to carry when it's not on a stand, that I think it's safer and better to just keep it permanently mounted on a stand. And being a manual bender, it really does need to be mounted to something non movable, right now that's the bumper of my old jeep, but soon it will be mounted into concrete. And when I'm done using it, move the entire stand off to the side, to a pre determined area that has a bolt in concrete ready to keep it secure from tipping over.

I'm thinking the T shape, so that two items can usually be mounted at the same time, one on either end of the T. Bench grinder and bench vice together, for example.

However, I'm not quite sure how I'd like to mount all the tools to the stand. The simplest and most basic way would be to have a plate steel, maybe 6x6" with various mounting holes that the tools could be bolted to, just like mounting them to any work bench. This would be secure and strong, but it would not be quick to change out the items.

Any ideas on a way to relatively quickly change out tools on such a stand as this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  2. I have one of those metal bending stands ad I just made a plate with 3 bolts welded to a plate that each tool is mounted to that I can bolt to the stand, Define quick. Takes just a minute or two to undo 3 nuts.

3. indyjps

indyjps

45 lb base may not be heavy enough. You can use the old rim filled with concrete trick, tip it over a little and roll/scoot it where you need.

4. I agree. Figure out the weight of your heaviest tool(s), and make your base at least 2x heavier. Then it won't be as likely to tip over or move around.

5. lakesmod

lakesmod

I used two brake drums from a peterbilt truck.
    One holds a 16 speed drill press,the other holds a vice and a bench grinder.

6. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

I welded an old torque tube to a 15" flywheel to permanently mount a 1/3 hp bench grinder/wire brush. Not quite heavy enough at the base but I've gotten by with it for over 40 yrs using it just for light work and stepping on the base with one foot.

I mounted a home made buffer set up on a junk differential bell/axle tube from an unknown HD equipment origin out of a scrap pile. Planning on cutting the buffer mount plate off and welding a 2" receiver on to take various hitch adapters so I can use it for the buffer, Beverly Shear, various vices, heavier grinder, etc. If the 16" bell isn't stable enough for HD work the plan is to fill it with cement. Making plans for a welding bench with a receiver or two on it as well.

Thinking a bolt running through a nut welded on one corner of the receivers could act as a big set screw to take out slop in any direction between the receiver and various hitch mounts. Anybody ever try this and discover any other issues I should consider?

Ed

7. error404

error404
    from CA

Ed, with the amount of pulling that I do on a throatless Shear, I leave that mounted to my work bench.

The "big set screw" idea sounds like something worth trying out!

8. Zerk

Zerk

I was wondering about something using pipe fittings and floor flanges. Black pipe is easy to deal with, and those Kee-Klamp fittings come with hex setscrews.

The neat part about your proposed setup is that you'll be able to work on oddly shaped/large pieces around the 360 degrees of the work stand, instead of just 180 degrees or less.

9. Built myself a modular sort of tool stand this winter, I had a take off brake drum from an Oshkosh firetruck though,have stacks of them where I work. I also had a stockpile of fifties car crankshafts that my dad had made show car scansions out of in the mid sixties for car shows, a Reese's trailer hitch receiver so I could unclip and change implements, I have my huge vice,my beadroller and a large 14" diameter round plate for a sand bag all mounted on 2" tubing to allow for quick changes. Will keep adding tools to the pile, I have a small shop and maximizing is key.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1397883081.986435.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. There's a great thread "homemade tools and equipment"

11. error404

error404
    from CA

I'm aware of that, I've often read through parts of that thread it for inspiration and ideas on my own tools. Which is why I thought my thread would be at home here. I guess I don't understand it here yet, even as much as I read through here. (I don't post much, as you can probably tell)

12. Stretchmobile

Stretchmobile
    from So Cal

Take a 4" square piece of thick wall box tubing cap it around 6" long and weld some scrap or rebar to the outside. Cut a 1' x 1' hole in your driveway/garage bust out the cement. Excavate it around 1' (more if your real energetic). Cement the box tubing in the hole. Weld a piece of box tubing to the bottom of all your large tools that just fits inside of the other box tubing you cemented. You can build up a couple of weld beads to make it fit tighter. Now you can swap out tools, pound, beat on and use for pulling to your hearts content. I've used mine as a frame rotisserie, frame straightener, my model 105 bender fits in it. I made a plug for the rest of the time when there is no tool in it. One in the driveway so I have enough room to swing a 20' stick of tubing and one in the garage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

This is kind of a hybrid idea from my old shop while I was in transition into rebuilding.

I used to have these female pockets that we cemented into the floor for holding tools.

My buddy had made these really nice stands using old drums from a semi. He nabbed me a couple from work and Tokyo and I decided to make a few- they have a female- then the tool is the male- idea being you can setup other tools on these and plug them in- when your done hang them on the wall.

I'm challenged for space so this has worked out pretty good in the mid term. The drums are cast so it took some coordination to cherry them red and weld- we would heat weld- heat weld- then after they cooled heated the welds again and let them cool.

We filled the base with rocks and concrete-

that crazy guy in the pic is Tokyo haha-

I used an old flywheel for the base- that vice went though the fire... I blasted it and repainted it- the only thing I had to do was reheat and quench the handles they got a little soft. Its been working fantastic. The vice is nice to anchor to something when you really have to reef on something it likes to move around even with all that weight. I have a rubber mat I've put under it that usually keeps it in place.

I'd like to weld some tabs on and just anchor one of them in place. But since I've been working in my garage I really like having everything mobile and on wheels!

I have some pics somewhere of a tool holder that has all of these body hammers and metal working tools all in one- I'd like to make one like that that'll plug into one of these stands.

Attached Files:

14. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Yeah this is the setup I was talking about in my post-I used to have some of these pockets in my shop... this works really good!

15. error404

error404
    from CA

Got a start on it this weekend, inbetween some other projects.

I V groved the tubing and did two passes. First time really ever trying that. (used flux core wire for this). I don't use flux core to often (my mig and tig were out of gas!) I'm fairly happy with the results though

[​IMG]

[​IMG]