Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Carburetor: Corvette Air Filter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopolds, Nov 29, 2007.

1. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Yes, it IS traditional, and finally I have a tech post ready, on time!
    As most of you know, I'm building a clone of Barris' Kopper Kart. An important feature of the truck, was the 1953 Corvette six cylinder engine. Over the past 5-6 years, I've been trying to find the pieces to build this hard to find engine (only 300+ were made). Kustom7777 donated the correct factory dual exhaust manifold to the cause, and when we bought out John Maurice's Kart Klone, he had managed to find an intake, and parts to build the carbs.
    BUT the air filters have been eluding us! Very rare, they didn't even come on the 54 Vette six, nope only the 53's. So instead of delaying the project, I set out to make a trio of the!
    Here's a shot of how they look in a Vette.
    I started out with a 2 1/2" to 3" stainless steel exhaust adapter. I decided to build them in stainless to save the cost of chrome plating, and they will look good forever! I also made them a bit bigger than stock, so they don't look so "straight" and boring.
    I clamped the 3" side into a fixture on a tubing bender, and hammered a 90* flange onto the adapter. This will simulate the crimped part of the original filter, where the top meets the sides.

Attached Files:

2. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Next, I measured out the "windows" that they have, and drilled out a 1/4" hole in each corner of the window. I then used a cut-off tool to "connect the dots" and open up the windows. There are 3 per air filter.
    Next I used these 3" chemical float balls, in stainless steel, and cut them in half. These will be the "tops" of the housings.

Attached Files:

3. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I welded the top ball to the exhaust housing, using stainless wire in the MIG, very easy to weld.
    I then found some stainless mesh to use as the "filter", and will tack weld them into housing,
    Grind and sand the welds smooth, and then polish it up on the buffer. I used an Eastwood expander wheel with finer and finer sanding belts, then used stainless compound and white rouge.
    Now to make 2 more!

Attached Files:

4. Gator

Gator

Very kewl!! Here's a little better pic of the 'vette application. Fantastic work!

[​IMG]

5. choppermatt

choppermatt

that is awsome! how do u stop compound from getting inbetween the mesh?

6. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Just give it a wash with Brakekleen when you're done polishing! Maybe a little scrub with a toothbrush.
    And I actually didn't weld the screen in yet, I wanted to do a better job buffing it out, getting the edges smoother and all, before putting in the mesh.
    I can tack it in easy enough through the carb opening, and spot buff the weld marks.

7. choppermatt

choppermatt

nice, where do u buy screen like that?

8. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Hi, Matt.
    I used some leftover stuff from work, but we order it from McMaster Carr. They have it in different wire and mesh sizes, as well as different materials.
    I got the float ball from there as well. Again, they have them in SS and steel, and many sizes.
    I took a larger one and made a "Chandelier" out of it, for the dining room! Again, with leftover stainless tubing from work!

Attached Files: