Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Diego Rivera's Ford (Detroit Industry) Mural

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

They're cool.... What also strikes me is the sheer number of laborers needed to create an auto back in the day. Compare that to a modern day auto manufacturing line.
    I miss American manufacturing.

3. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

It's s stunning piece of artwork and certainly worth a peek when visiting the Motor City.

4. It's also bigger than it looks in pictures... The edge of the bench on the far left in pic #1 should give you the scale.

5. More people working meant more people spending - which means more people working. WOW that was simple!!!!! As the above post said "I love American Manufacturing" Think about this 50% of our economy was based on manufacturing during the middle 1900's now it's roughly 10%. My Wife's Grandfather was a Teacher at Detroit Arts and Craftswhich became Detroit Center for Creative Studies ( CCS ) and used to go watch Deigo work on the mural in between classes. The DIA is a Gem in our city and a must see if you are in town.

6. sinticket

sinticket

Absolutely stunning, never knew this existed...will check it out for sure when we are in Detroit for the Autorama

7. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Very cool post! The painting of a mural is a lost art that "graffiti" artist are carrying on.

Chris

8. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Have seen it dozens of times,and it is truly amazing! Another MUST SEE if your in town,is the Henry Ford museum.Not that far away in Dearborn.
    You'll see Goldenrod,Malco Gasser,a newly acquired bellytanker, and much much more cool stuff.

9. Sanders

Sanders

wow, that's very cool. Now I want to see it in person!

10. Very cool. I never knew it existed. I was up in Detroit this past summer to see the Henry Ford museum. I could've seen it then. Oh well, i guess I have to go back.

The 360 degree view of the museum walls are really cool!

11. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

12. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Beautiful! I love the modernistic murals that were painted in the 20s and 30s. Back during the depression one of the answers to helping people was putting them to work. Among other things the WPA gave many people jobs painting posters and murals in government buildings, that as far as I'm concerned are national treasures.

[​IMG]

13. V8RPU

V8RPU
    from Nor Cal

Jive-Bomber
    There are 2 Rivera Murals close to you that you can see. The first was from 1930 and is a two story fresco in the City Club inside the old stock exchange building at 155 Sansome St. in San Francisco. The second is a huge fresco done during the 1939-40 SF Worlds Fair on Treasure Island which was relocated to the entrance lobby of the theatre at SF City College. As in the mural in Detroit it is fun to identify the people that Rivera painted into his murals.

14. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing. In the portion where the workers are wielding 3 lb. sledge hammers, one worker's cap reads "we want"... What's the rest of the quote. The stern looking supervisor looking on. The porrtion where the public looks on is so authentic looking; like old time photos-ever notice smiles were very rare. Everyone always looked tired and serious back then. Tough times.

I love murals. Several years ago, workers stumbled upon a lost mural at San Diego Staute University;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3TT9xJchds

15. Deuces

Deuces

There's murals like that on the walls in the library at Maples Elementary/Jr high school in Dearborn also. I've been meaning to go back and visit the old place where I went to school as a kid.. :)

16. justanotherguy

justanotherguy

I think there's a Rivera mural at the S.F. Art Institute also, in or near the main art gallery, and something tells me the murals at Coit Tower are also his.

17. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

America misses manufacturing.... The murals are just one more thing we who grew up in Detroit take for granted. I've seen them more than a few times and don't appreciate them as I should.

18. HotrodVon

HotrodVon

The Coit Tower murals are Diego-Inspired... Very cool though!

Keven

19. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

he was in the factory in 33-34 for inspiration, since the chassis has an X-member

20. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

we were walking around san francisco and stumbled into an art school that had lot of his murals.

21. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

That is so damn cool...

22. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

Sooo cool! I've never seen these, and I really like this artist.
    Ever notice how many of his paintings contain Calla Lilies?

...sunflowers too, and corn...:D

23. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

I'd like to see Detroit's "secrets" highlighted more. It seems like that city could use a little boost these days...

24. Did anyone else notice the one with a tour group(?) and the girl at the front with a betty boop expression and a short skirt? Dig the dirty looks the 2 holy people are giving her!:eek: And the one with Henry teaching with the Flatty; the sorta cave-man looks on the pupils' faces.

25. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

Did anybody notice in the 6th picture, the 'bow-tie' emblem in the side window of that car body? Do you think he sneeked that in on purpose?

After all...Mexicans do love their Chevys. :D

26. zgears

zgears

Awesome, Diego Rivera did a mural at Rockefeller Center that was Immediately destroyed, because it was deemed too "Commie ".

anyone notice the flathead has dog legs?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  27. GoBettie

GoBettie

Love it! I'm a huge fan of Diego Rivera. I love the shading and color he used, the sense of movement and the tremendous detail in this mural are awesome. It just invites you to follow every line.

28. Firepower71

Firepower71
    from Atlanta

Thanks for the art history education. Beautiful artwork. My girlfriend learned about this by watching 'Frida' I'm glad I learned about it on The Journal.

29. Deuces

Deuces

We could use a lot of boost!!! :(

30. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Diego's work at Rockefeller Center wasn't the only example thought by some to be too leftist! The Ford's weren't exactly taken with his work.

" Life ain't no Disney movie "