Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sore eyes from welding-help?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Finishing the exhaust on the Gasser had me doing a bunch of stitches without a hood. Any way NOT to feel like there's sand in my eyes in the middle of the nite?

2. old beet

old beet

No!....I'd like to know also.........OLDBEET

3. socal_wrench

socal_wrench

Cut potatoes and put the white part over your eyes.

It worked when I fried my face.

4. No.
    Although I have heard of people laying wet tea bags on their eyes. I had "flash" once and didn't get any sleep that night. It hurts.

5. carkiller

carkiller

Cut up a potato, like hash browns. Put on your eyes (eyes closed) It turns the potato brown and gets rid of the sand fairy. Works have done it several times

6. sgtmcd42

sgtmcd42

I went to the doctor and he gave me some eye drops. They had a numbing agent in them. a couple of days later all was better.

7. cheaterslick

cheaterslick

Oooohh, shit, watch that. I did it BAD, I have a small black spot that floats around where I'm looking now, it's been 5 years. Keep your eyes still and wait it out. Eyes heal fast, if the're going to that is. For what it's worth, I've had it from someone else welding BESIDE me, almost behind. Any little bit can do it.

8. Big Dad

Big Dad

That really hurts .. Go to doc get drops , they'll give you pain pills too
    it takes 24-40 hours to go away

9. Flatman

Flatman

Arc burns are serious man! Your eyes get scarred on the cornea and your vision can be PERMANENTLY damaged. Try the tea bags or some Visine to relieve the pain. Hope you get to sleep...

Seriously, always use the hood.

Flatman

10. My brother's wife is an emergency room nurse. She told me they see this every night (we're in an oil producing area. I'll ask her what they prescribe. Meanwhile, I would..

Take a benedryl (to sleep).

11. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

like earlier described tea bags work well. I just wet one and stick it over the bad eye or eyes and wrap it with a towel, works pretty quick and I always found I was able to sleep after I did it and by the time I woke they were better.

12. When you get "welder's flash", the arc causes tiny water blisters to form on your eye balls. It's just a matter of time for them to shrink. Whether anything works, other than a numbing agaent, I don't know.

13. Tetanus Shot

Tetanus Shot

ouch, that shit is the worst, i know the potato thing works for alot of people. staring at a computer screen isnt going to help either.

14. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

That's a BITCH - this summer I got something in my eye - under the truck - went to emergency - they couldn't see anything (niether could my wife or me) they gave me some drops - they worked GREAT, but lasted about 15 minutes - gave me a precsription for more drops - wife drove me directly to the pharmacy (had to go to 3) the drops didn't work for shit - felt like sand in my eye all night long. Moral of the story - wear eye protection -and of all people I ought to know better - told myself no big deal I wasn't even wrenching - truck on jackstands - just rolled under it on the creeper for 10 seconds - never even touched anything!

Didn't matter - I wasn't careful and paid a small price to remind me how stupid I was. No offense intended but I hope you learn a valuable lesson - your eyesight is too precious to do stupid stuff - leave that to the dorks on TV!!!!!

I feel for ya - I really do. Wish I had a solution - other than hindsight.

15. boharris41301

boharris41301

I really hate to hear that. I did the same thing 2 weeks ago. That was the first for me and hope it was the last. 90 percent of it hit about 3am. I tryed the slicing the potato thing and didn;t have alot of luck. ONe huy told me i was supposed to sqeeze the juice from the potato and put that in your eye. That night i would have been more than happy do try anything. THe doc gave me some eye drops the next day for infection and ease the pain. Anyway, i would definetly take some strong pain medicine before bed.
    that is just my thoughts, gets me down just thinking about it.
    good luck

16. BigChief

BigChief

Harbour Freight has auto dimming hoods with variable tint glass (#9 thru #16 if my memory serves me right) for less than 100 bucks.

100 bucks on a cheap helmet is a much better deal than damaged eyesight. I know there are times when incidental arc burns may occur when spending time in a welding shop but, really, there's no excuse for working without a welding helmet.

-Bigchief.

17. Gumpa

Gumpa

Hi When I have been in your shoes my wife puts milk in my eyes with and I dropper every hour or so and it really cools it down fast. It also gets the sandpaper feeling to go away. Gumpa

18. As suggested,Benedryl & some normal saline drops.
    Dont do it ever again man,,I got flashed pretty bad in the late 80s,& I attribute my eyes going south because of it.I'm 48.

19. sliderule67

sliderule67
    from Houston

Some of you guys are creeping me out; like this is commonplace for you. I've spent over 60 years peering at the world with one headlight, courtesy of a congenital problem. Bottom line is please, for God's sake, wear your Personal Protection Equipment. I've known two guys that lost sight in one eye due to accidents, and they both suffered severe emotional problems as a result. End of sermon.

20. Montechris

Montechris

Quick question: when you are gas welding, do you only need a mask when holding the flame to the metal, or all the time? I am about to start gas welding and was wondering if you need googles when you adjust the flame.

Thanks,
    Chris

21. Split Bones

Split Bones

"Arc eye"....is something all welders get from time to time .....for many reasons .....being to slow to drop the helmet...or tacking up with out one and closing your eyes ....and getting the timing wrong ....or in the workplace ....the arc from another welder...."Friendly Flash".....i have had a couple of real bad doses...you know the normal ......someone has taken you eyes out ...thrown in a whole heap of sand ...then put them back......I went to the emergency clinic....and they had some drops that sort of "froze" the eyeball ....worked a treat.....they would tell me what it was ....or sell me some...but it is available.......if you find your in a enclosed space ...and cant wear a helmet .....i had a cloth hood made up with a lens in it ......was real claustrafobic to wear.....but works real well.....also ....i now wear glass.....and i dont get arc eye....even if i get real good/bad flash's.....has something to do with the glasses acting as an extra filter for the harmfull rays ....or so i was told

22. Groucho Ive heard of the raw potatoe deal and also a raw Ribeye steak or Porkchop meat cut in two place half on each eye[closed]...
    I have had this....
    you learn quickly to avoid the flash-its common on chopping tops as a lot of time you have your hands full with both the Mig gun and holding a mocked peice of tin in place too....turning the head and closing the eyes is not a perfect solution, but it is done a lot.

In the case of burning the outer eyelids and face as in a sunburn or Mig welding burn- use "Cornhuskers lotion"- a hand lotion with Aloe and Glycerin in it-available at WalMart......

23. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

You don't use a full face mask for gas welding...the dangers are not really the same.
    Just use tight fitting, gas welding goggles or a flip up style gas goggle...especially useful if you use regular glasses.

I always initially adjust the flame with the goggles up.

You NEED to watch what your surroundings are as you set the flame and keep the feather away from places it shouldn't be...like paint...or your buds fingers etc!
    Drop the goggles when your comfortably in position and ready to melt some metal.
    BTW...snip your welding rod to a friendly length as well...or potential eye FLASH might be your last worry.

Your starting to learn gas?
    Excellent! Your gonna have FUN and learn an extremely useful skill.
    Gas is very cool to do...wait till you tackle a header! Your gonna LOVE it!!! :D
    It looks like TIG once your skill level goes up a bit!

24. BigChief

BigChief

Here's a web page that'll help you decide.

http://www.caloly-safety.com/info_welding_choosing.cfm

Personally, my eyes are less stressed out when I use the goggles to adjust the torch flame too......helps me dial in the flame better as well. I'll typically use a #5 for cutting, brazing and gas welding. Plasma cutting can go a shade or two lighter.

-Bigchief.

25. muthaswurry

muthaswurry
    from uk

too late now i know, but if i am working in a tight spot, i take the glass out of the hood and hold it in front of the working area. you still get a 'sun tan' but eyes are ok!

26. reading this thread is making MY eyes hurt just thinking about it.Go to the ER and get the eye drops. You wont regrit it!

27. WD40

28. i would suggest going to see an opthamologist,not too scare you but whenever i have any problems with my eyes i go see him, just in case.

29. slamdpup

slamdpup

use VICKS VAPOR RUB around your eyes but dont get it in your eyes and go to sleep over night in the morning you will be alright..an old timer told me about it..

30. bcarlson

bcarlson

I guess I've never come across a situation where I couldn't wear a helmet... and I don't have one of those "fancy" Speed-glas, or Jackson auto-darkening ones either... I even keep my welding "traditional" :)

I've seen the guys from OCC tacking without a helmet, and I just think it's a dumb idea. Maybe your situation was different, where you were working in close quarters, but otherwise (and heck, even then) there is really no excuse. Couldn't you at least wear some tinted goggles, like the ones used for gas welding? That would _help_ if not solve the problem...

Hope they heal up Groucho... but once you hurt something, does it ever fully heal?

Ben