Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dad's '55 Studebaker Commander - Update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. Jive Bomber
    You link to the journal entry isn't working.

OK went over to the journal. Like I said before it is a beautiful car. I am sure that the new owner is tickled pink. It may have been a hard decision for me to peddle it but I am sure your dad is already workong on the next one.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  3. Wow, beautiful, indeed! (and rare)

At first glance, I thought this was a Speedster model. How did it differ from the Commander? (which I believe was the base sedan model in previous years)

Are those Chrysler wires, made by Kelsey Hayes?

4. Very well done, I really like the 2 tone.

Almost makes me miss my Commander Coupe, at least the engine from my old Commander lives on in my Model A.

5. justanotherguy

justanotherguy

Props to yer Pops! :D Great looking car!

6. jipp

jipp

yeah that is a great looking car.. sweet.
    chris.

7. The Commander became the top of the coupe line in '53. I don't know what options that particular coupe has but if you go by the trim package it is a highly optioned car. The Hockey stick side molding is pretty rare. the '55 has never been my favorite but that one is nice.

8. There is a wonderful '56 golden Hawk Studebaker for sale around my area. I posted photos!

9. otas

otas

dang! takes a lot to get one to that fit and finish!!! very nice. i live in the same world as your dad. usually have to sell to go to the next one.

10. very nice, any before pics???

11. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

$61k huh? That seems like hardly enough money to cover his original purchase price, pay for his restoration expenses, and have something left over. Your dad must be very good and watching his costs.

12. her ya go next project....:D

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      302.9 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      366.9 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      217.4 KB
      Views:
  13. Jive-bomber: Congrats to your dad, what a nice car he have restored. I've got a weak spot for Studebaker's as well, my dad brought a '56 Flight Hawk in 1979, and he still have it.

36 ROKIT: The Chrysler and Imperial wire wheels was made by Motor Rim in Detroit, not Kelsey Hayes as many think. The 55 President Speedster have even more chrome, a little over the top. These photos shows the differences (I hope its OK to put them in this post).

Attached Files:

14. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

I love the '53-'55 stude C & K models but the best '55 I saw had the front chrome painted to match body, there is just too much up front for me.

15. jroberts

jroberts

What a gorgeous automobile. I have always had a soft spot for '55 Studebakers. In 1955 there were four models -- Champion, Commander, President and Speedster. You could get any of these levels with the butterknife trim offically known as Regal trim level. The Speedster was a hardtop only model. The Champion could only be had with the 185 cu. in. flat head six. All models, except for the Speedster, were available as Sedans, Coupes and Hardtops. There was a two door sedan and I am not sure if this was available as a President or not.

16. jguff

jguff

What a nice car!!! Glad to see he was happy going the auction route. There have been so many negative comments about auctions, usually based on the BJ tv shows that it is good to see success from using one. We tend to forget about Mecum, RM, Silver and the others, but it certainly provides a selling alternative. I bought my Riviera at auction in 1994 and have never regreted it.

Jerome

17. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Beautiful Stude! Brings back memories (some not so fond) of my first car I bought when I was 14. A 55 champion 4 door. Ugly as sin at the time. There's a 55 champion sitting in a field near here I've been eyeing for a while. Wondering how much trouble it would be to chop it a bit and make it a 2 dr. That would keep me busy for a while.

18. aircap

aircap

Just beeyootiful!

19. flamingokid

flamingokid

Oh,so your Dad's a car salesman? :) You know what some people think of them.In all due seriousness,some of us were meant to bring 'em back and others were meant to own them for decades.He played that one to the bone and it paid off.That's a gorgeous car and the new owner should consider themselves lucky.

20. jroberts

jroberts

When my son was 16 we found a four door '55 Champion with the cool butterknife trim. For me one nice thing about that car was that everybody knew where he was and what he was up to because it was the only car like it in town. Of course it did not take him long to let me "inherit" the beast (Although in need of a lot of work, I did really enjoy using that car as a daily dirver for a while.) as he found a '58 Silver Hawk. He still has the Hawk which is now undergoing a rebuild. It will be Studebaker powered, but definitely not stock.

21. Kettleman

Kettleman

beautiful car great job!

22. sololobo

sololobo

What an awesome Studebaker, a gent in my small home town had one and I would wax it for him for free just to be around the car. Interesting info on the wire wheel manufacter. Love to learn stuff like that on the worlds coolest forum. H.A.M.B. POWER!! ~sololobo~

23. oldthudman

oldthudman

:)The 53 Studebaker was so styling advanced it may have hurt sales.....(not that Studebaker sales were ever that great).......Lowey's design foretold the future...(was very akin to the Citroen DS)

My favorite was the later 62 GT Hawk.........