Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Bonneville... Part 2

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Wow That in car footage is awesome !! And what an experience Sounds like your hooked !! So when do you start on a car ??? >>>>.

3. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

The very end of the video was very "Thompsonian". You looked like hell, and it was clearly well deserved.

"Yep. Tastes Like salt."

You have no idea how happy it makes me to know that I am not the only person to do shit like that.

4. We got to Wendover Will Sunday afternoon and camped at the Bend in the Road Sunday afternoon and on the salt for the first time around 3 PM. A quick trip to the pits and we were back to our motor home around 5:30. The ambulance came by around 6:30. We didn't find out until Monday evening about the Bryant death. That added a whole different dimension to the rest of the week.

Ryan you needed to be at the Bend at 5 AM when the line of cars reminded me of the closing scene of Field of Dreams when the cars are coming to see the baseball field, as the sky is turning a deep red, and an orange sliver of sun crawling off the Floating Mountain. Or talk for an hour with 3 guys from Colorado who just qualified all 3 of themselves as drivers in their gas roadster built over the previous 6 months and were on their climb up the speed ladder and how proud they were to just get past 160. Or talk with the guy who made one run in a '52 Ford, borrowed from a fellow club member too sick to come himself. He only made one run but he still was there on Wednesday talking with anyone who took time to look at the car. It sounded like a head gasket and we volunteeered to help him take it apart but he was afraid he might of hurt the block and that would heve ruined his week because of the relationship he has with the owner. Or getting to take pix of the Old Crow and Burke tanks sitting in a row for a photo op. Having some of the Nish boys all try my sunglasses on while they were dropping fuel into the Royal Purple streamliner then watching them go out the back door at 394 acouple of hours later. The lump in my throat as I dropped the Honda off the end of the road onto the salt for the first time. Salt fever. We have the plan for our entry next year, it came to us on the 15 hour drive home. See you all next year.

5. Great write up Ryan & that video is awesome. I can't wait to go to Bonneville next year.

6. banjorear

banjorear

Ryan:

That visual of the tank running away from the push truck was exactly as you described. Thank you for sharing that. Truly amazing stuff.

One day, my man. One day.

7. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Yep... Sounds about right Ryan. Congrats on your new addiction.

8. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

That is a very good summary of how the salt takes you.

9. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

You have a fantastic way with words, Ryan! I really need to get my ass back to the salt.

10. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great write up and video. Too bad you had to suffer through all the drinking and cindi lauper music. I'll go in your place next year if you don't want to suffer again.

11. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been doing it for 40 years. Still, every time is like the first. . . Great meeting you & the English guy says Hi too!

12. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

Ryan and Joyo thanks for for coming out and being part of the team. Yes at times the salt can be brutal but it just doesn't matter at the end of the day... Zen

13. Yup, Wendover is weird. Dunno about a hangover but Buick59 led me to a case of food poisoning that made my one trip there pretty weird.

14. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

Awesome Ryan, just awesome.

My first time on the Salt was the 50th in '98 and I was hooked from that point on. Four weeks before Speedweek it seems all my buddies are going, and then one by one they bail for one reason or another. Understandable to a point as "life gets in the way", but I wouldn't miss it for the world.

At the meet and greet, Denise asked me to say a few words about our old friend Dooley who passed very suddenly at the end of last year. My apologies, I just didn't have it in me.

Dave had been at the Salt every year that I have AND went to Lake Gairdner every year as well. He was always the one that I could count on to be there, and last year he and I were the only two of our informal group to head west. We spent all week together, even hauled an Aussie back home with us. Eight days straight of that greuling schedule and harsh conditions, only to drive east straight thru going directly to the swap meet and then on to the Drags for the weekend. I was a walking zombie by the time I reached Joplin but you couldn't wipe the smile off my face. I'll never forget that trip. I miss ya Dooley.

This year I took my two boys and a local 19 year old rodder who was a salt virgin to Wendover. We had a blast as usual and I tried to instill in these young boys what Dave had taught me. There are only so many Speedweeks in a persons lifetime.
    Don't miss ANY of them.

15. NoSurf

NoSurf

Very well said my friend.

16. Kettleman

Kettleman

Thanks Ryan, great video. Some day I think I will have to make the trip.

17. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

A very nice writeup Ryan and the video was Rad too. Although, this being my first time there I can assume that we got a little lucky as far as climate goes that weekend. I would love to agree that the Salt is punishing but the wife and I didn't have a tent to hang under and we walked that couple miles over and over each day we were there. Flying is far more exhausting then hanging out on the Salt all day in my opinion. Although I will say this, that sun can really beat your eyes up for the day or two we were out there. They were bloodshot every night.

When I got back to North Carolina on Monday it was 104º with like 90% humidity, I was like "fuck, give me Bonneville any day. This sucks!!!". I am sure Austin feels hotter today then Bonneville did ever those couple days.

18. Greezy

Greezy

After my first trip in 07 I figured every other year or so would suffice... no way. After this year I dont plan on missing any more.

19. Spark Plug

Spark Plug
    from Duvall, WA

Great job at describing your experience Ryan. There definitely is something spiritual about being out on the salt. My first time was in 2007 when we had to forge through a lake to get out there. That year I was only able to spend a short day in Bonneville. Since that day I knew I needed to go back. Something was just calling me. I didn't make it back until this year, getting to spend a full 3 days on the salt and loved every HOT minute of it. I am already making "concessions" with my wife to secure my return next year!

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That was hard to write fellas... I don't like writing about personal shit and Bonneville was pretty damned personal. I got so caught up in making myself write, that I forgot to thank all the folks that made it possible. So, here goes:

1. John Joyo. He's one of my best pals. Traveling with him is just flat out fun. We laughed... a lot.

2. Old Crow Speed Shop. I can't imagine going to Bonneville as a spectator. I think it would be boring as all hell. Bobby, Lucky, Joe, Jack, Max, Coby... They all made sure Joyo and I had fun... and boy did we... They created monsters.

3. Keith Tardel. I've never looked up to someone as much. Family.

4. Vern Tardel. Killin' em with kindness... A salt legend if there ever was one.

5. Flip. Man... having Keith, Joyo, and Flip all together at once was almost more than my brain could handle. That shit was FUN.

6. Clive. All the way from England to save the day... The REAL Stromberg guy.

7. Every single HAMB guy that came up and introduced themselves. Lord knows I'm a shy one and you guys make it easy!

8. Alliance racers... One of the proudest moments I've had. I love what I do and all and think I do a decent job of it, but seeing so many race cars with Alliance tags made me feel pretty damn good. I even got choked up at one point.

And I'm sure there are more that I am missing... You get the point... Lots of love...

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  21. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Ryan, you did it. The best Bonneville footage ever.

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great story and video Ryan. It always amazes me that everyone has a bit of a different prospective on being on the salt but the reverence for being there is almost always the same.

23. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Nice work. Great pics.
    Tick tock. Tick tock. See you out on the salt again in about another 355 days.

24. akjim

akjim

"gangsta rap"? What the HELL......

25. seatex

seatex

Great video, R. Just as you described, the location, feel, and vibe was just surreal for a first timer.
    As soon as I flew back into Austin on Monday night, I missed B-Ville.
    Hope to see you there next year.
    Now, I gotta' go watch that video again.........................:eek:

26. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Ryan-

Glad you made it out. Your one of those people that really get it. Appreciate it. Understand it.

You'll be back...

27. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I beg to differ. :) The experience of being there is still amazing, as a spectator. I don't see anything boring about it, especially being able to be right in the middle of everything. The pits, the starting line, being able to drive your car (any car) down the long course after the driver's meeting... just the whole deal! Hard to put into words, really.

Great write-up - thanks.

Malcolm

28. Great thread. Video reminded me of The Right Stuff. Thanks!

Opening scene of Buckaroo Banzai is a nice Bonneville fantasy.

29. COOP666

COOP666
    from Austin TX

Sorry I missed it this year. The Old Crow boys are always fun.

30. Doctor Destructo

Doctor Destructo

Inspirational. Thanks for a terrific piece of literature. DD