Register now to get rid of these ads!

Speaking of hotrod go karts, dig this! NOT O/T

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hillbillyhell, Jan 29, 2008.

1. hillbillyhell

hillbillyhell

So when I was 8, my old man decided to build me a go cart. He found some plans for a sprint car, and reduced them to about 3/5 scale or so. This what he came up with:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was 9 when it got finished, that's where the number came from. All steel body, various old car and bike parts were used, as well as a rear end from a Cushman.

By the time I was 11, I didn't fit anymore. When I turned 16, I sold it for enough to buy a VW GTi. End of story. Or not. Fast forward 18 years.

The brother of one of our hotrod customers starts telling this story about this cool little race car he got from a guy. Uh huh. Ended up, my Dad and I traded back into it for some work on this cat's steering column on his drag car. It's not together, but it's mostly all there. How cool is that?

2. RoyalChoppers

RoyalChoppers

Way too cool. Great course of events.

3. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

You realize that if you ever sell it again, you'll be subject to a group beating! That's awesome man.

4. Rand Man

Rand Man

I love it. Kinda like a Cycle Kart.

5. hillbillyhell

hillbillyhell

haha, gimme a break, I was 16. At the time, my Dad fully supported the idea too, I think because it meant I wouldn't hit HIM up for money to buy a car.

But yeah, even though I have no current or future plans to have kids, it's staying.

6. man thats friggin awsome and the car actually comin back home is bitchin ..

7. Very cool! My dad never did jack shit with me.....

8. awesome go cart,glad you got it back

9. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

that really cool shit it belongs with you , you must have been happy to see it .

10. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...we musta had the same barber...

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

That thing is freakin' cool.

Post up pics as to what it looks like now. Was the body scratch built or fabbed out of bits and pieces of other cars?

12. hillbillyhell

hillbillyhell

my mom cut your hair? hahah, how ya been old man?

13. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

Great story, killer short

14. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...great story and pics...who you callin' old? :p

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. hillbillyhell

hillbillyhell

I didn't take any pics, we just put it in good dry storage for the time being. Will rebuild it as I have time.

The body was scratch built, except the grille shell, it's a very narrowed A shell. Dad made a couple bulkheads with round tube stringrs and formed the body around that.

16. 1953blueflame

1953blueflame

That thing rocks man , had a go kart when i was 9 too but i rolled mine and it got sold the next day :(

17. hillbillyhell

hillbillyhell

Uhhh, you. :p

18. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Good to see it back home where it belongs. Awesome!

Doc.

19. Wish I still had my Curtis!!!!

20. unibody

unibody

Your old man is a hell of a craftsman, that thing is sweet.

21. that thing is totaly cool. I've been thinking of do'in a mini rod for my son. Great insparation!;)

22. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

23. Gezz that thing is fantastic! Keep us up to date with any progress- and go give your dad a hug!

24. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

that`s neat !

25. hillbillyhell

hillbillyhell

Thanks guys, I'm gonna email a link to my Dad, he'll get a kick out of this.

26. floored

floored

That thing is too cool, obviously you were a good kid. Ever notice that most of the shit we build for our kids now will fit us too. Oh yea be happy your parents let you have hair!

27. Plowboy

Plowboy

I think it is for the best that you have decided not to reproduce. Thank you for not bringing your evil spawn on society.

Growing up, all of my friends had 3 wheelers, go karts, dingos, etc....I kept pestering my dad into letting me get one, no sale. He was really into building decks and stuff for the house. He used a bunch of leftover 2x6's and treated deck lumber and built me what would be likenend to a soap box derby car that looked like a giant door stop. I think it must have weighed 1,000 pounds because I couldn't move it by myself. The front axle was a 4x4 and it didn't steer from inside. Since we live in Illinois and there are no hills to speak of, you had to pull this thing with the lawnmower which provided another challenge. My brother was a dick and wouldn't ever help me, and since we lived in the country, no one else was around to pull me around in it. Fortunately, it broke about the second time I had my dad pull me around in the yard in it, and it got torched on the burn pile. the end.

28. raven

raven

Man, if you can take a bunch of pics of that thing when you get a chance.
    I've been wanting to build something like that for my son.
    r

29. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

haha...i was waitin for a happy ending! farmer loser!:p

manHHH, your dad really could work some metal...that thing is sick!

30. FuelFC

FuelFC

Great comeback story.

Just one question though. Do you fit in it now? LOL Just had to ask. And as said nice hair.

Your mom must have been real busy cutting hair all over the country at that time or she franchised out cuz mine was damn close to that style for a year or two!