Register now to get rid of these ads!

3D Cad model of small block chev engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brianangus, Jun 24, 2006.

1. I just finished modelling a small block chev engine in 3D Solidworks software. This model is based on information I received from another HAMBer today. It was done in a 2D format, and I think it is quite accurate. If anyone wants it, I can export in .iges, .stp or Solidworks files. Email me thru the Hamb and give me your email address.---Brian

Attached Files:

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool!

I've got a SolidWorks model of a 331 extended bell Hemi that's pretty close as well. I put together the basic envelope with valve covers, starter, etc, but is not exact. Enough to give someone a good idea based on overall dimensions and mounting points.. PM if you need it.

3. 29SX276

29SX276

There's just no end to your talents is there?Very cool.:D Me,I can barely get through a session on the 'puter without screwing something up!

4. 29sx276---I didn't even start to learn any of this computer shit till I was 51. Now I don't know how I ever lived without it!!!

5. Alright you solid modeller guys out there--I have added exhaust ports and valve covers to the sbc engine. Why don't someone try their luck at an intake, water pump (short nose) , starter, oilpan, or oil filter. Send them to me as a Solidworks part file or as a .step or .iges file and I will add them into the solid model and make it available for all online.(try and make your models "to scale") as people will no boubt be using this model for creating actual cars ---Brian

Attached Files:

6. This is the last thing I will be adding.---Harmonic balancer and 2 groove pulley. I can't get at anything else on the RPU well enough to measure it in order to create a model.

Attached Files:

7. Allright---I lied!!! I borrowed my friends short nosed waterpump when I was out filling the roof on his coupe, and this afternoon I modelled it, and the pulley I'm running on the roadster pickup. What a pig of a thing to model!!!! There are more curves and angles and offset surfaces on a waterpump than you would ever guess at. For those of you who are not familiar with solid 3D modeling, I have to measure the pump, then recreate all the geometry to scale as I am building the model. Anyone else who has 3D modelling software can then use the model I send them to build a "to scale" model of a vehicle with that 350 engine in it. These models can then be measured, and the measurements used to build a full scale car.

Attached Files:

8. For you non-Cad guys---When I built the roadster pickup, I modelled everything beforehand to check for fits and clearances when I was building the body and chassis. Just for the heck of it, I installed the Chev small block into my chassis this afternoon (just a couple of mouse clicks on the computer)----Here's a pic of what it looks like setting in the chassis.---Brian

Attached Files:

9. hey brian, can i get that in .iges format? I'd like to play with it in the software I use.

[email protected]

thanks!

10. Stone

Stone

Man thats killer

11. Nate---sorry---the file of the entire car is way huge, too big to email. I have sent you the engine as an iges file.---Brian

12. mikes51

mikes51

Here's a Solidworks custom body I have been working on. Still needs mirroring as you can see. If I free up, I will make some 3d headers for your SBC. That is the only real part I have available to measure next to my 'puter.

13. louie the fly

louie the fly

I'd be interested in a copy of that file. Either .SLDPRT or .IGS is OK. I'll try to model a tri-power setup on it. I model everything I'm doing on my car. I can see if it's gonna work. Heres a model of my disc brake conversion for my 54 Dodge. Part way thru at this stage but it uses Leyland P76 discs & 75 Holden calipers. Only need to change outer bearing, no machining required. Piss easy.

14. And for todays amazing stunt (drumroll please)---we have a small block chev mechanical fuel pump. I haven't added it to the engine yet, because I don't have an engine here to measure the location on the engine accurately---but I'l get there eventually.---The fuel pump is one I borrowed to measure and create this model.

Attached Files:

15. brian, i was fiddling with the model you sent me.. i want to put an intake on it. Too bad that truck file was too big, i had some ideas :)

[​IMG]

16. RoadBurner1

RoadBurner1
    from Nebraska

I would take your motor file. Save it as a solid works part and email it to
    [email protected]
    I will add to it if I have time
    Thanks for this, it's kool that you are offering to others

17. For todays offering, we have an HEI distributor. I couldn't get to the vacuum advance to measure it, but will get to it sooner or later. I can't position it on the engine untill I (or someone else???) models an intake manifold.

Attached Files:

18. 3034

Hey, very cool! I'm a design engineer too. I've been using Solidworks for about 9 years now. If you have time send a copy of the file to me. I'll come up with a few parts and send them back.

19. And a huge THANK YOU goes out to Keith of Minneapolis for sending me a set of very well modelled rams horn exhaust manifolds. They fit right onto my engine assembly with no conflicts, and Keith assures me that the overall dimensional accuracy is very close. I still need---intake manifold, (4-bbl), 4-barrel quadrajet, starter, and standard oilpan.---Brian

Attached Files:

20. hsheartaches

hsheartaches

Hey Brian...I'm not a SolidWorks guy, but I'm pretty damn good w/ AutoCAD 3D modeling. Can you export that model in DWG format, and would an upload work with your format?

21. Hsheartaches---I can not export nor import as a .dwg file, however I just spoke to my Solidworks provider, and he tells me that autocad 3D files can be exported and /or imported as Acis files (.sat) into Solidworks and vice-versa. Give me your email address, and I will save my engine assembly as .sat files, zip them up, and send them to you---Brian

22. hsheartaches

hsheartaches

Hey Brian!! Just got the email. Lemme see what I can come up with for you/us. Much thanks!

23. Can you open it with 3DAutocad?---I'm breaking new ground here with this file transfer in different formats!!!!!!---Brian

Just got an email from Jonothan in Corpus Christi, Texas. He was able to open the engine file I emailed him as .sat files with no problem, using 3D Autocad. Jonothan is going to model an oilpan for me, and I will add it to the engine assembly.---Brian

24. 3034

hsheartaches, I just emailed an oil pan file and some lakes headers files over to Brian. I'm working on an intake now.

25. Sorry Jonothan---Keith has just sent me this oilpan.

Attached Files:

26. hsheartaches

hsheartaches

Standard saginaw tranny, bellhousing, flywheel, clutch?!?! Throw me a bone here people!! hehehe

27. We will soon be able to start our engine---I did up this small block starter this morning to add to the small block engine project---Brian

Attached Files:

28. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really wanted to do this with my Hemi, but only ended up getting as far as doing the overall envelope of it so I could get some frame stuff down on paper. It would be awesome if I had the time to get this detailed with it! Looking good Brian! Can't wait to see the end product! Going to throw an Offy 3-deuce on there with a some Strombergs? I'm going to be working on a Stromberg model soon for a manifold I'm designing. When I get it done, I'll pass it on to you or anyone else who needs it. I'll post a thread on it when I get it done.

29. Scooter---working on a Holley double pumper as we speak---Brian

30. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds good! Are you doing it piece by piece or by overall envelope? It's so much fun doing it piece by piece, but man does it take some major time!!