Register now to get rid of these ads!

Exploring Arizona- abandoned, wrecked cars & trucks, old hiways, etc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by applekrate, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Normbc9

Normbc9

Don't ignaore the "Finds" in Utah, New Mexico and southwest Colorado. I found a 52 Ford hard top (first of that body style) sitting in back of a house and we found it by acciedent. We returned three days latter and after two hours of discussion (bargaining) we got a hand shake deal. Came back later that day with a rental trailer and brought if home. That area is rich with old "finds."
    Normbc9

2. I already answered this question earlier in the thread. Both places, same owner. 1 is his shop the other where he lives

3. agreed, there are find all over, this thread is about what is in Arizona

4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I wish I lived near that pile of cars.

5. Here is a neat section of abandonded hwy 60 that was built in the mid 30's ( based on old hwy maps. Not sure how long it was used.

[​IMG]

When hiking through these areas, I try to imagine what it was like carving this stuff in this remote area back in the day. Also, of course, looking for cars and parts left behind.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  6. This Car I found with some others in the Lindon area west of Show Low.
    Not sure what it is but, looks late 30's. Anyone know?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Applekrate, Is that section of old 60 in that area above Superior? I have alway wanted to run up that old road out of there along the river. I believe that is where the tunnel you posted a couple of pages ago was as well, too. The car you posted last is a '40 Chevy most likely, but if not a G.M from '40.

8. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

ive been to that pile near Benson. spent about 4 hrs there, poking around. followed the tracks some more and found a '49 ford. pulled out the dashboard.....

9. henry29

henry29

1940 Chevrolet

10. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Zookeeper: DuVall's first name was TOM. I use to get out there from time to time in the 83-85 time frame.

11. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Anyone been to the Desert Bar? .....

Attached Files:

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

OK, Where the hell is that "T" body?! it didn't just show up there in the last 7 or 8 years or so did it?

13. Man I could completely ruin that pickup..... heck, I could even cut up that perfectly good Mack!

14. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

where's this "desert bar" at?

15. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

That's it! I don't know why I couldn't think of it myself. He tried to put on a grouchy demeanor, but all in all, he treated me pretty well considering I was a 19 year old idiot at the time. Now I'm a 49 year old idiot...

16. Louvers,
    The pic of abandoned hwy 60 with the snow is north of Globe about 30 miles.

The tunnel is much closer, maybe 50-60 miles, to the Phoenix area, just a few miles east of Superior.

We go up to that area at times, if you want to join us, you are welcome to do so.
    So far, we have found one wreck in the immediate vicinity of the tunnel, looks to be a jeep or something. It is very beat. There are others in the area.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012

17. Interesting that that car is a '40 chev.

Here is another in the Linden area and I was guessing that this was about a '40 or '41 Chev. Maybe they both are? just different body styles?

The front end almost looks like early 50s but the main body looks like about a 1940. Maybe late 40s?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. I wish I could get the back bumper and backup lights off that '56 Ford Customline in the pile for Ozelle the '55 Ford. That bumper looks perfect, and I like the '56 style backup lights better than the '55 style.

19. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

About 5 miles out in the desert on a dirt road near Parker.

20. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

1946 - 1948 Coupe but I can't remember how to tell them apart. Nice looking grill.

21. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ron Olmstead (the always mini bike drags winner at the nostalgia digs) and I had made plans in late 2010 to mini bike up the old road at the canyon north of superior when the weather cooled. Unfortunately, just before that he suffered a near fatal heart attack. He's just finally getting some of his stamina back now after a year and three months or so, and mentioned that trip the other day. Hopefully, we'll head up there before the heat sets in.

The other chunk of road north of Globe I was not aware of. I would love to head out and walk that with you guys

22. In the last 5 years or so, I have hiked and explored sections of the old hiway from Superior to Globe and Globe to Show Low.
    Have also collected images of road maps from the area.
    The road from Globe to Salt River canyon was in by the mid 30s. Then, it was completed to Show Low by the late 30s.
    The road from Globe to Superior is older and goes back to the days before cars.
    From info I have researched, travelers who wanted to get to the Show Low area from Globe prior to the late 30s had to drive east of Globe to San Carlos. From there, it was a rugged trail north to Whiteriver and McNary. Then on to Show Low, etc.

I can post maps if interested.

This section of Az I am discussing has many sections of old hwy. The state obviously relocated parts of the hwy as they improved it. Much of it has not been used since the early 50s.
    I know one man who lives in Holbrook who remembers going through the old Claypool tunnel, which was used 1922-1951, as a child with his dad.
    Most of these abandoned hwy sections are rather short, under a mile.

There is one though that is preety cool from the top of the world area towards Miami. I went on it about 10 years back and it went around the Pinto Creek Bridge that was built in 1949.
    However, 2 years ago, ADOT widened some of the shoulder area on hwy 60 in the part and that old hiway does not go through as far.

If you drive through Superior,Globe, Show Low, you can keep an eye to each side and you will find dozens of sections of old hiway. It is very interesting and I have found many cars and parts from way back then.

will be posting more pics.

Hope this info was helepful. If anyone has more to share about Az transportation history,cars, etc. Please do.

23. This is a section of hwy that was by passed in 1949 when the Pinto Creek bridge was finished. This is the longest section of old hiway I know of, too long to hike. Motorcylce, mini bike or possibly mountain bike. It is shorter now since 2009 when they widened the road and it took out part of this. I did not find any cars in this section but, that does not mean there aren't any.
    As soon as my '73 Yamaha 125 is running, I want to ride this before it gets hot.

[​IMG]

I would imagine this road goes back to the 1870s at least.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  24. titus

titus

A little off topic but when we were driving out from Austin TX to LA for the GNRS we decided to take a little off freeway tour and went up 70 to globe and had lunch and stopped in a few antique stores and found this old dirt track program for globe-miami speedway dated 1954. we also drove thru superior. neat area, if we had more time it would have been neat to explore some of the old roads posted above!

jeff

Attached Files:

25. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

The grill tells the story - it's a '47. '46 had a molding around the ends of the bars; '48 had a vertical bar in the center.

26. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

found this outside of Coolidge a few years ago, but its now gone, body was real rough, and front axel bent what looked like from towing..had a couple of extra rear fenders in the back looks like the head light were off of a car. could nothang around long as it was behind a farm house on privite property .....
    [​IMG]

27. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

someone should grag that grill

28. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Thanks, and yes I would love to see more images of those early roads posted. As many times as I have traveled that stretch of road by the Pinto creek bridge I have never notice the old road. And that is something I always notice. Not quite sure how I missed it

29. Our group, called Arizona Pontiac Power, was just formed on Dec but, we have already done 3 of these hikes and a 4th isd planned in 2 weeks.
    It is not pratical to re post all the pics there here but, will do some more.

If anyone here is interested in seeing what we have found, you can go there for a look,
    Here is the link-

http://www.meetup.com/Arizona-Pontiac-power-group/

Once you are there, look for the photos tab and click on the album you wish.
    The pics there are just of our recent hikes. I have other albums of old cars and hiways I have explored on my own to post here.

As stated before, we welcome others who share the same sense of adventure and curiosity as we do concerning old hiways and car/truck finds.

Here is a very beat 1958 Pontiac Chieftain convertible.

[​IMG]

I had found this wreck many years ago. It is not real close , or accessible to the hiway but, you can see it from there. At first glance, I thought it was a jap car and paid little further attention to it.
    You can see it with the naken eye if you know where to look but, it is pretty small.
    [​IMG]

Then, about 3 years back I bought a pair of binoculars with a built it camera. I took pics of this car and studied it. After awhile, I was convinced it was a '58 Pontiac drop top!

[​IMG]

Still, I could not prove it until I actualy got to the site itself. I would not go alone as it is too dangerous should something happen to me.

4 of us hiked down to it last month, that's me on the left checking out a head lamp bezel. Mark is behind me, Todd is taking the pic. Keith is not shown. I cannot tell you how much fun doing this is. You just never know what you may find!

[​IMG]

All of 4 these pics are from last month. It is on the south side of the Salt River Canyon.

30. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

I think it'll buff out.....