Register now to get rid of these ads!

3D Cad model of small block chev engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brianangus, Jun 24, 2006.

1. oldtin

oldtin

A rails with front crossmember. I don't care who uses this stuff or how, just trying to pay back for the bits I've collected here.

Attached Files:

2. maddog

maddog
    from So Cal

Lots of new stuff. Nice work Oldtin. I cant wait to see what everybody is going to do with all this stuff.

3. brd43

brd43

Hi Brian, I would love to get that small block image. I have Autodesk Inventor 2009. I think it will import dwg files if you don't have something specific. Of course, I don't need the internals. I wouldn't mind also hearing from PsycoDad since I am also trying to put together a V8 Super Seven. I am an original Super Seven owner circa 1970 so I DO know what I'm getting myself into. :)

4. brd43

brd43

Hi Brian, please ignore another post asking for this small block file. I downloaded the SolidWorks RAR and it imported fine into my Autodesk Inventor 2009. A couple of small parts errored out like the thermostat. That's fine, the moter looks great! This represents a considerable amount of work, I can tell. Therefore, I must say how much I appreciate your work helping me out with MY project and many others by the sounds of it. :) Brian

5. Dowies

Dowies

This is great stuff. I thought I was the only guy that uses SolidWorks to create car parts and assemblies from time to time. Here's my latest SolidWorks project. A custom 1942 crank pulley assembly for my Flathead. It allows you to use a modern Mallory distributor with a stock 1942 belt driven fan assembly.

Does anyone have a 3D assembly of a Flathead motor? If so, I'd love a copy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Roadrunna

Roadrunna
    from UK

Great stuff :) Been looking for a SBC model for ages. Got pointed here by maddog.

I don't suppose anyone's got a model of a Ford 9" have they ?

7. digby@3dvnz.com

[email protected]

Hello Brian,
    would be very grateful for a copy of your file on sbc.
    Solidworks iges format (zipped to avoid my security system would work for me - I use rhino which reads solid works iges)
    Best Regards
    Digby Taylor (New Zealand)
    digby@ 3dvnz.com

8. Memph

Memph
    from Washington

Very cool thread, makes me want to try out 3ds again lol.

9. Guys, the download link is on pasts #222 and #223.---Brian

10. JAYLO

JAYLO
    from holley ny

Brian,
    Can you send 3d files of the SBC and the roadster?
    [email protected]
    thanx,
    JAYLO

11. JAYLO

JAYLO
    from holley ny

I built (from scratch) a 1933 FORD 2dr sedan,
    many brackets, etc from SW models

Attached Files:

12. 96z28ss

96z28ss

This is great.
    I'm a Unigraphics Designer, been doing it since 1992. Worked at a Tier 1 supplier of Audio systems for alot of the major car companies. I now work designing Truck accessories.
    I do design work at home on the side for local shops. I just put my website together. www.automotivedesigneng.com
    Pictures of my project also.

This thread is a great idea and would like to contribute. It would be real nice to get a very accurate model of the block to start.
    Maybe I'll work on that.

Robert Braga

13. Mark72

Mark72

Hey Brian
    Im using Pro-engineer, this is exactly what im looking for. It would be greatly appreciated if you could export it to an iges file for me.
    Thanks in advance!

14. RAT4791

RAT4791
    from Canada

Gentlemen, I thought I should contribute to this incredible thread, how and where can I put my 3d model of a blown 331 hemi with t10 tranny? It is almost 10 mb zipped. The engine file is a "doctored-up" file I got from Scootermcrad (big thanks to him). Blower case I modelled from an actual 6-71 detroit diesel case that a friend of mine let me borrow and the drive and injection hat are "guesstimates".

Oh, and the attachments are pics of my 3d design for a 1947 Ford pickup rendered using a new software add-on for Solidworks 2009 called Photoview 360 (really easy to use and awesome outputs).

Attached Files:

15. jmcglynn

jmcglynn
    Alliance Vendor

Jeez, every time I think I know what I'm doing in SolidWorks I see something like this and realize how much I have to learn!

Seriously, really nice work! I look forward to being able to use your model!

16. oohlala

oohlala
    from malaysia

brian...can i have the design of the engine in the .iges format
    here is my email..
    [email protected]
    thank you

17. LowBlazin

LowBlazin
    from Austin, TX

wow, found this thread looking for sbc dimensions. Now i wanna learn solidworks bad. Where'd everyone learn to use the program. Tech school, community college, university? Ima start looking into this.

18. jmcglynn

jmcglynn
    Alliance Vendor

There are several good books, I like the ones by Matt Lombard. It really depends on how you learn... There are community college courses, training DVDs, online tutorials.

19. Ten years ago I paid the $6000 licensing fee to buy my own software, then the $2000 for a computer with enough balls to run it. The folks I bought the software gave me a 4 day "hands on" crash course in the basics of using it, and then I was on my own. I have used it every day since as the primary design software for my engineering business. An incredibly good book to learn from is "Inside Solidworks" 2nd edition by David Murray, ISBN#0-7668-2348-2
    I now teach Solidworks 3D modeling, but I think you are a bit too far away for me to tutor you.

20. LowBlazin

LowBlazin
    from Austin, TX

yea might be a bit far away. :( but i just got a copy of 2009 and downloaded a video course to get going. Just not sure how i'll do trying to learn that way. I like to be able to have someone there to ask questions. I'll look into the book. Thanks.

21. jmcglynn

jmcglynn
    Alliance Vendor

The first premise of this kind of 3D modeling tool is that you start with a 2D sketch, then extrude, rotate it around an axis or sweep it along another sketch to produce a solid. If you start with a circle and extrude it you have a cylinder. If you rotate it around an axis you have a donut, if you sweep it along a sketch you have a "bent bar". Then you can do the same operations to make cuts into solids (extrude cut, swept cut, etc)

It isn't really that complicated, there is just a lot of capabilities there.

Download some SolidWorks models and look at how they are built up, that's a good way to learn too.

I haven't read the book that Brian mentioned, but the Matt Lombard books explain what is going on, and give examples of building parts using all of the different operations.

22. Come on guys---read the whole post. Quit asking me to send it to you. The download link is posted about 2 pages back in this thread.---Brian

23. RAT4791

RAT4791
    from Canada

I've uploaded a step file of the blown hemi 331 model to Keep's cad library - I can't vouch for the dimensional accuracy of the hemi engine as I was given the 3d model from ScooterMcRad - but the blower case I modelled up is quite accurate - enjoy:)

http://www.netquickposse.org/hamb/

24. jmcglynn

jmcglynn
    Alliance Vendor

That's awesome, thanks for sharing!

Does anyone have a T5 tranny in 3D?

25. hyperion

hyperion

Hey everyone,

First off, I'm new to the forums here but this thread has been incredibly helpful. Thanks so much to everyone who contributed to such a cool project.

I wanted to point out something about the SBC download which is true of the website as well as the mediafire download: There are three missing files that cause the assembly to rebuid without some key parts. They are:

* The oil filter
    * The thermostat housing
    * The fuel pump plate

These are listed in the assembly file but not present in the zip or in the HAMB directory.

Also, the assembly of the TH350 lists an oil pan, tail housing, and dipstick but these files while present are devoid of any features or even sketches (they are empty).

Also, I was wondering if anyone who is working on full chassis assemblies would be willing to share the rest of their drivetrains, i.e. the driveshaft, differential, axles, and hubs.

Thanks again!

-hyperion

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  26. TS3g

TS3g
    from Beloit, KS

Hey guys, I just stumbled upon this thread while searching for AutoCAD drawings of a SBC. I'm currently in the process of designing a new dirt modified chassis for the upcoming season (in ProE) and this was exactly what I was looking for. So I'd like to thank you brianangus for your efforts and can't wait to put it to good use.

Also I'd be more the willing to share my models when I get them done, although I don't know how much of it you guys would actually use. Most of the car is hand built, but we do have to use a factory front clip (in my case, I'll be using a Metric G-body clip) with mostly OEM front suspension pieces, but we can interchange pieces off of other cars. So I'll also be modeling 74-80 Ford Pinto spindles and 68-74 Nova lower A-arms. We also use a Ford 9" center section for a rear end. But thanks once again!

Tyler

27. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

Welcome aboard Tyler. I'd love to have the 9" ford parts!

28. jmcglynn

jmcglynn
    Alliance Vendor

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have CAD models or measurements for:
    - Wide 5 wheel
    - Wide 5 brake drums/hubs (37+)
    - T-5 tranny, S-10 tailshaft

Thanks!

29. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

I've got a 2D print of the 3/4 ton wide five hub and the corresponding wheel center that goes with it.

It should be the same bolt pattern. The 3/4 ton is what all the stock cars and modifieds run, but with disk brakes now obviously.

If it'll do you some good, I'll pull it out into a file of its own and post it.

Also, while I'm here, I'm looking for a good three view 2D drawing of a Saginaw 3 spd transmission.

What I really want is a three view 2D drawing of a Bert racing transmission, but they are the same physical size as a 3 spd Saginaw, so one is just as good as the other for my purposes.

I have AutoCAD 2002 and SolidWorks 2005

If you all go to post, please keep that in mind. AutoDesk changed the DWG format sometime around 2004 (IIRC anyway), so anyone with the newer software would need to save it back to an AutoCAD 2000 DWG.

Thanks for your time guys.

30. jmcglynn

jmcglynn
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks, that would be great!