Register now to get rid of these ads!

Calif may go to retro plates if minimum met.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roughneck424, Oct 4, 2012.

1. roughneck424

roughneck424

2. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Thats great news....JOHN

3. KIRK!

KIRK!

I think it's great, but the usual suspects will be on here to tell us that hot rod related legislation will never happen even though it continuously does.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds good to me.

5. Not sure how I feel about this. Cool because it will be cheaper for us HAMBers to have period style plates. Lame because the Prius next door will too and it will lose its uniqueness.

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Guy's, don't be so fast at being happy about this. If this is a continueation of past talks on this topic, the plates will not be what you think they're gonna be. They'll be reflective and California will be painted rather than raised. I hope I'm wrong and details have been sorted since last reading about this some time ago.

7. The other thing about this is there has to be 7500 of any style (colors) Pre Ordered before Jan 1, 2015 before they will consider making them
    I wonder how many people want to wait over 2 years for plates!!!!!!!!!

8. deto

deto

X2. If anybody is gonna make this hobby "easier" I'm pretty skeptical of it being the California government.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

My 2 cents? What a waste of time and energy when the state is going broke........

daily rant over

10. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

I have been following this legislation for some time. I think it is a great thing. It makes money for the state (a big reason it might become reality). You don't have to wait 2 years to get a plate, just 7,500 orders. This makes it cost effective. It is really an extension of a program that has been in place for years where you can buy other specialty plates (like save the whales, save Tahoe, etc.). Have never heard of the plates not being stamped. That is Nevada not California.

11. VonKool13

VonKool13

Uh I really doubt the guy who drives a prius cares about what his plate looks like. If hes a car guy he knows the difference betwsen a 2015 and a 1956 and wont put 56 style plates on his prius.

I think its cool, but will be using original plates for my rides.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

What year did California stop making the original black plates ?

Don

13. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

I prefer the original stuff but if it makes some happy cool

14. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Technically, 1969. However, I have seen 1970 trucks and El Caminos with black plates. This was before YOM was extended to include black plates.

15. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

From what I understand, the new plates will have a different look altogether and NOT be confused with the old plates. I'm pretty sure they will have to be reflectorized.
    I have no problem with the new plates. I'm kind sick of the white ones.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  16. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Sorry but ………… Jerry Brown is still an ass hat

17. According to CA DMV it was 1970;
    History of the California License Plate

Basic information on 1963- present plates:

1963 was the last year a complete new plate issuance to all vehicles occurred (the plates had a black background and chrome yellow characters).
    1970 is the year the basic plate was changed to a blue background with yellow characters. It was also the last year any black/yellow plates were issued.
    1976, year round registration started which requires a month expiration sticker fixed to the upper left hand corner of the plate.

18. They started doing a "legacy" plate in Oregon a year or two ago... They started re-making the pacific wonderland plates like the ones that were used in '63. They charge an initial fee of $120 for the plate then registration every two years. My ranchero had them on them when I bought it but i'd never pay that much for a plate. And I have seen them on everything from Prius', to Mercedes', and even a beater Honda...

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

not enough details, but I guess no matter how lame they make them, they will probably look better than the white ones.

20. Cerberus

Cerberus

A "Legacy" license plate that can also be a vanity plate would be very cool. The State of Calif will probably charge the "vanity" plate rate for the "Legacy" plate. My last "Vanity" plate was $75.00 extra per year. Egad!

21. The commercial plates went a few years longer than the passenger car plates ... elkys and pickup had the commercial. They stopped in 1969 but covered some of the '70 cars that we licensed in '69.

My OT '70 Chevelle isnt allowed them because of the date of manufacter, but my '59 SedanDelivery is because it was on them since 1963 but they could not be "retro'ed" on it if they turned in years ago or transfered from out of state. Otherwise the are only allowed to be issed to 63-early 70.

... or that is my understanding.

22. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I think it could be pretty cool.

I always wanted personal plates and when I finally got around to making it happen, Indiana had started using these lame printed versions. It would be really cool if they could do a run of plates in the original raised style.

23. Onemansjunk

Onemansjunk
    from Modesto,CA

x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can the politics, gentlemen. This is NOT the place.

25. LFS11

LFS11

Wonder if I can get a yellow bck with the whale tail on it...
    That would be "rad"....
    Sigh.

And I'm sure the dimensions will be all jacked up.

ca is a pain in the ass but if its too much moving is always an option...Jerry's better than the last super hero....

26. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

at picking a good looking girl friend

[​IMG]

27. LFS11

LFS11

Agree can you believe that house keeper???? Dudes the terminator married to a Kennedy and knocking that up??? Funny sad and awesome all at once.
    Viva kali fornya....

28. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

What's Brown should be wiped! If you really think he is doing something to better our hobby, think again...it's about money.

If this becomes reality, can we still run original (old) plates or will we be forced to run a "legacy" plate (gay name, by the way)?

29. Weasel

Weasel

There ain't nothing like the real thing baby....

30. Im for it. I think its kinda neat to be able to get them to look more period correct.