Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest End Over End

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 25, 2012.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Why is it that the words "this is gonna hurt" always pass over your thoughts right before you auger in? Have done the same many times on bike and the one time I nailed a bridge at Interstate speed...................

3. gregaustex

gregaustex
    from Austin

wow, powerfully written.

4. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

to me, the moral of the story...expect the worst and be prepared.

Preparation puts you in control, or in your case, saved your life.

stories such as this are why we need to be very critical about safety equipment and having a safely built car to begin with.

you did not expect a blow-out, but your car and your equipment were ready to save your life. And they did.

5. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Yikes! Sometimes you're just along for the ride. Here's to having the right safety gear. It just makes sense and I'm glad you're here, Ryan, to tell your story. Nicely written.

6. I never tire of that tale, Mr Cochran.....but wasn't there a little more, like you cut a perfect light? Or am I just remembering a piece of some else's story?

7. Fred Carillo has quite a record on the salt. Frank Morawski's restored 27 T roadster that went 178 mph in 1951 was his first car. It was featured at Pebble Beach in 2010, and my brother and I had the privilege of taking it out to the west coast for Frank. The streamliner you show here was Fred Carillo's next car and the resulting crash was a life changing experience.
    It did not define Fred Carillo's life either as he went on to establish a business building connecting rods that became the standard of the industry.

You had quite an experience for a 17 year old.

8. The story kinda takes my breath away. Glad you survived, Ryan.

9. The old saying ,when life hands you lemons, make lemonade applied here. Great story and thanks for sharing. I know you have had your problems with your back since this accident, but it did not stop you.
    Later,
    Dick

10. although i didn't crash mine, i got the crap scared outta me at the F&G finals in bakersfield a few years back. ours is an NE2 altered ... 4 link car with a small block. its as smooth a car as i've ever been in and goes straight as an arrow every pass.

so this particular round we line 'em up and when the yellow flashes i let go of the button. immediately the car makes a hard left, i go to correct and it makes a hard right. at this point i'm already out of the throttle and just trying to get the car to settle down. it straightens up and i get it pointed in the right direction. the guy in the other lane was long gone so i just ran it out.

when i get to the top end my buddy had eyes as big as saucers. he said... "man, i saw both sides of your car, the top of your helmet and the bottom of your oil pan." It wasn't until that point that i got a little freaked. it could have gone much worse.

it was the last pass of the last race of the season, so i didn't have a chance to just jump right back in and get it over with. no, i had the whole off season to think about it and get kinda gun shy. then the following year at the march meet there i was in the same lane. i have to admit i had butterflies, until i dumped the trans brake.

then 5 months ago i was in ryan's shoes (kinda) wrecked my motorcycle (have no idea what happened. was on my way to work and woke up a few times with paramedics, ambulance, emergency room, etc. 3 days in hospital). funny thing is because of my unconsciousness and having no recollection of the accident, i have no problem getting right back in the saddle, despite having had 4 broken ribs, a collapsed lung, 1 fractured vertebrae, and a concussion.

after 40 years in the sport, i've seen alot of accidents, wrecks and fires. i've seen alot of guys just walk away, and some guys get seriously jacked up. i've had a few friends die. even though i don't know ryan, i know racers. glad you made it out in one piece.

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

There was so much going on... I had a radio in my helmet. There was too much interference for talking and what not, but my dad would hit his talk button once if I hit a good light. When I left, I heard like 10 tones in rapid succession. I got a perfect light and even won the race and the purse - crossing the finish line as I rolled.

[​IMG]

I still have the trophy somewhere. It's my only wally parks trophy... And they spelled my fucking name wrong on it. "Ryab Cochran"

12. The biggest thing for me about this is that your dad was there the whole while you were racing. From all of the successes then to this wreck and beyond that I'm sure. To me, that would be worth more than all the gold in the world.

It's not just a good anecdote about racing and persevering but also a story about a cool dad.

13. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

What was that car? She's smashed up pretty good. Sorry about your Wally, it seems NHRA should have corrected that.

14. Choptop

Choptop

Its amazing how much time one has to think while crashing. The last time I crashed my motorcycle I recall sliding along Turn 6 at Sears Point doing ~80mph on my ass headed for the hay bales and thinking the same thing... "this is going to hurt". Fortunately it didnt hurt that bad and only knocked the wind out of me.

Seen a motorcycle streamliner leave the salt doing 250+ and flat spin through the lights. rider walked away with just bruises.

15. Wow that is heart touching and the way you put it to words. Blows me away

16. Very well written.
    I like how you knew, not the damage but the repair would be
    your defining moment in racing.

17. truckjim

truckjim

Great writing and glad you're still here to share the story with us, Ryab.

18. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

I still have the trophy somewhere. It's my only wally parks trophy... And they spelled my fucking name wrong on it. "Ryab Cochran"

By far, the best part of the story.

19. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

Do you have any more pics of the car? Just curious. Great Story and one hell of a ride for ya!

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Wow, Ryan. makes me think about my wreck. While minimal compared to yours, it made me think about a few things that I normally take for granted.

21. mkilger

mkilger
    BANNED

well having worked the crash truck at bonneville for the last 8+ years Its always a bummer rolling up to a crash, and knowing that your fellow racer and friend may be really hurt or worse. Ryan if you go to Bonneville speedweek look me up and spend a day with me running on spining roadsters and blown engine fires. SAVE THE SALT

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  22. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great story Boss. Well, it's great now, not so great then. Serious Go-Fast dues.

23. Wow, you're like Clint Eastwood, Wally Parks, and Shirley Muldowney all rolled up into one!!!

24. HA HA HA!!!

Ryan - Thanks for sharing, its nice to know what your made of.

25. catdad49

catdad49

Great story about some of your history. Every person is their own book, so to speak. Thanks and how's JJ? Cat

26. Thats a heck of an offer! I would love to see Ryans prose after a day in the safety truck!

27. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Having endoed a circle track car, it is odd what goes through you mind when you realize you are crashing. It seems to be happening really fast and also in slow motion.

Nice read Ryan, thanks. Been to a wedding in Linclon NE and just got home to read this.

28. autobilly

autobilly

Great story, full of drama, both horrifying and impressive!

29. flamingokid

flamingokid

Crash Cochran,kinda has a ring to it.Seriously,it goes through your mind in slo-mo and you'll still thinking about it 20 years from now,but hopefully with a little nostalgia,too.