Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Ford Monte Carlo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 19, 2010.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I like it...Really neat for it's time.
    Thanks for sharing.

3. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

That car is awesome. The steering wheel is pure art!

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Man that is beautiful

definetly see the european influence

5. When great design meant something.

I listen to a car show on Sundays that often interviews designers, truly sad when you hear a GM or Ford designer going off about how the elements of the Ford Flex (a stainless sided box) mean something.

6. RancheroMan

RancheroMan

thought i'd add these from ford show at knotts back in 05.

some great design work.

Attached Files:

7. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Does kinda look like a predecessor of the first T-Birds. Beautiful!

8. Weasel

Weasel

Both Ford France and Simca produced a slew of gorgeous cars in the 1950s with more than a nod to American influences. Jean Daninos' Facel Metalon had a hand in the building of many of them both before and after the launch of Facel Vega as a marque in it's own right. Below a Simca 8 Sport from 1949 in both convertible and hardtop configurations.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. I believe there's a current thread about a HAMBer building something like this out of a shoebox 4 door. Shudder away, Ryan...

That Simca hardtop is...just...bad...ass...

10. One of the few cars that doesn´t need to be messed with - they just look right as they are. Rare and very expensive I understand.

11. James D said it. I don't see much that needs tweeked. In fact at first glance without the back story, one might think it was a long lost custom made from a shoebox.

12. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,
    Europeian auto companies had several american designers on staff over the years. When a designer was deemed "tapped out'' of fresh ideas, here in the states, he was shipped overseas to England, France or Germany. This pratice resulted in more than a few ''Detroit details'' in overseas vehicle designs. There was also always the hope of a model that could be sold in america to generate badly needed cash. U.S. auto companies also leaned heavily on forgien design & coachbuilding houses for design and prototype work, as they could get fresh ideas and work done for pennys on the american dollar.
    The Comete/ Monte Carlo was just too much money for what was basicly just a sexy Ford in post war Europe. The "Tin Worm'' also considders them a delicacy!

" Meanwhyle, back aboard The Tainted Pork"

13. RocketPinstriping

RocketPinstriping
    from Waco Tx

i wish i had money, ugh i want the Simca vert! o_O back when style was an [more] important factor for designers and consumers alike. most people nowadays will buy anything... be sure to go to your local Scion dealer and test drive the new 2010 STD!
    108hp and 26mpg.... hell ive seen Studebakers with the old 185 flatty 6 mimic that performance, with 70x more appeal

14. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

that's the coolest dashboard I've ever seen.

15. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

it almost looks like a jenson or austin healy type car. nice looking car just the same.

16. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,
    I don't know about the Cometes, but the Facel Vegas, as built by Facel Metalon, featured painted dashboards that looked like walnut burl or elm.
    You have to look close to tell it from real wood, it's that good!

" Humpty Dumpty was pushed "

17. hlfuzzball

hlfuzzball
    from Michigan

Saw one on the streets of Paris in 1960. Looked outstanding then and still does today.

Tom

18. F1 Flathead

F1 Flathead
    from Michigan

Notice how the instrument panel wraps into the door trim panel. That's a very modern touch that was way ahead of it's time.
    Dan

19. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

Exactly, but at the same time it says "I'm all business"

20. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

Reminds me of the Austin A-40 roadster.
    [​IMG]

21. I'd cut that car all to hell.

22. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,
    This design actually sprang from Jensen Motors Ltd. Jensen was a coachbuilder long before it built complete vehicles. Jensen also built on 30's Ford Flathead chassis.

" Spending a nation into generational debt is not an act of compassion "

23. There was also the Venus, built in Houston in the 50s, probably inpsired by this car. His son found one and is restoring it. He is a H.A.M.B. member:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/member.php?u=32264
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  24. Detroit Chrome

Detroit Chrome
    from California

I was wondering if Facel Metallon is same company what later made Facel Vega.
    I had Facel Vega 1959 HK 500 and it sure looks a lot like this Ford

25. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

What a gorgeous car! I have been a Ford nut for all my life, and this is the first time I've heard of it.

26. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Like the wheels / knock-offs on the blue coupe, but gold or silver might have been a better color? Any survivors? Gary

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  27. A friend, Howard 'Buck' Mook has the car that was used by HFII and owned by the company and, later another designer Paul Wong. Not sure where Buck is with the restoration these days. Neat car with the right engine. Thanks for the pictures.

28. A gorgeous car that was killed by its price, thirst for fuel and especially the French vehicle taxation system, as was Ford's Vedette, and French marques like Hotchkiss and others.

29. daily_driver

daily_driver

That's just plain neat. Farina designs are always ahead of their time when is comes to style and just plain sexy curves. -dd

30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a beautiful design both outside and with the spectacular interior. Ford should have sold that here as a Lincoln special model.

I'd have to agree on both the dash treatment and steering wheel both are very well designed.