Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1929 Model A Ford AV8 truck build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by INLAW MODEL A, Dec 12, 2010.

1. I bought this 1929 Model A truck on Memorial Day weekend earlier this year. It was on on ebay and did not sell. I contacted the seller a month later and went to look at it while we were up north for the holiday. It is a solid body but that is all that's there is the body. It came with the original frame that was boxed and butchered up. I also got an old original title.

Here it is mocked up in the garage. The front axle is a 33 I had laying around.
    There is no rear axle yet in this picture. I was just curious to see what I had.

[​IMG]

2. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Nice truck - I'd keep the fenders , leave it unchopped , throw a flatty in it & call it a day .

3. I like it, looks like the boys like it too!!!

4. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

always good to see those little hot rodders

5. gsp392

gsp392

I like it too.

6. After I started buying some of the brackets and odds and ends that were missing the seller called and said he found more stuff! He had the running board brackets, front fender irons and the inside widow trim for the doors.
    I originally was going to install a 8ba flathead I have, but after getting around to measuring it was a little too long. I bought Vern Tardell's book and decided I needed a 59ab flathead. The firewall was already recessed, but I want a stock firewall so I will switch it out.

I googled the name of the guy on the title and called him. He said he sold the truck in 1962! It was never finished. He sold it as a non running project because he had a kid on the way. He set it up with a 327 and a 4 speed he took out of his 55 Chevy. He bought it in 1960 from an old guy who had it sitting outside a garage for years. I it has been apart since at least 1960. There were two owners since him not including me.

Budweiser likes this.
  7. rottenrods

rottenrods

Cool. Its always cool to see kids in these pics. Reminds me of my son

8. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

cool story! and nice tuck!

9. ...doc...

...doc...
    from Houston

great looking project!

10. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

Very cool! I cant wait to see you driving it around Symco next year!!!

Rob

11. Excellent start man!!! You co-pilots look ready to go!

12. Man that is going to be kickass. Here is a friend of mines truck for inspiration..

13. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Even though they are young let your boys be a part of the build. My son was in the shop with me as soon as he could walk and we spent hundreds of hours together. Now, that he is grown his son is hanging out with him in his shop. The memories will be priceless years down the road.

Frank

14. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

I dig full fender trucks. Looks like a nice start.

15. I picked up this fire pumper wagon for free which was built on a 35 Ford chassis. The plan is to use the front and rear axle for the truck. I may use the gas tank also. I had to give the engine to another guy in order to get the frame. The guy promised it to his buddy but he only wanted the engine. They thought the chassis was junk!:eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. I always wanted to drill an axle so I did. This is the 35 from the fire pumper.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I read a post on the hamb about reversing the spring so I tried it and it worked!

[​IMG]

I have a 73 year old friend that builds hot rods and he is helping me along. He borrowed me his king pin removal/reamer tool and I put in new bushings. I then installed f1 spindles and brakes on the axle.

Here you can see the axle is painted and the 35 rear is blasted. I am building my own open drive conversion.

[​IMG]

I determined the 8ba won't fit. The only pre-49 flathead I have is this one that was given to me. It is an old power unit. It turns over freely.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I took it apart and was very happy to find that is is a 42 Merc/truck engine. It is relieved and has hardened seats. It is not a sleeved block. It is standard bore with a slight ridge. It has steel piston though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Nice start, and nice score on the goodies! Radiator on the power unit looks to be 32 Ford. PM me if your intereseted in getting rid of it.

18. jleblanc31

jleblanc31

love the air cleaner Let me know if you don't use it I looking for one just like that for my 30 sedan build.

19. Since the frame that came with it was butchered up, I figured I was time ahead to start with a better frame. I bought this one cheap and since it was slightly damaged I did not feel bad about cutting it up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I wanted to lower the truck and I already had a spring behind banjo so I hacked off the frame and added some 4x4 1/8" wall tubing cut in half to lengthen the frame. I took the stock 35 Ford rear cross member and cut out the center section. I then cut apart a piece of 3" square tubing to make a custom flat cross member that looks oem.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So finally I can see if this is gonna fit. The green firewall I bought because I want to replace the recessed one in the truck now. I works to see if I have clearance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The 35 Banjo had manual brakes and the internals were gone. My 73 years old friend hooked me up. He gave me some nos linings and shoes and the tools to rivet it all together. I am sure learning a lot!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010

20. I hope to be there with it. The plan is to make it the push vehicle to replace the 4 wheeler.

21. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

looks good Paul.

I am anxious to see it push your Fiat

22. Thanks Bob, I know how you feel about the atv:D

Here it is sitting on the chassis and ride height.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So do you think these tires would look good? Right now the rear is a 7.00-16 but it is totally wore out. The fronts are 6.00-16 Firestones. I would like to put these knobby 6.50-16 Firestones on the rear.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  23. That looks great! You sure work fast!

24. I wish, The last picture is just another mock up to see how it is gonna look. Right now I just have a chassis that is a tacked together mess.:D

25. Lucky77

Lucky77

Looks great! I've got my eye on a 29 pickup right now. This thread really makes me want to pull the trigger on it.

26. Your 29 ford truck is looking very good, You have some real skill,,,,Sam

27. Thanks Guys!

28. 94hoghead

94hoghead

What a great truck!

29. Fiatdude

Fiatdude
    from SoCal

Like your truck -- -- Love your topolina

30. Camaro Mike

Camaro Mike

Looks like a great project. I'm working on one myself. It will be great to watch how things progress with yours.