Register now to get rid of these ads!

Connecticut National Dragway! Lets make it happen

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1953fords, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Not sure if this has been posted? tried doing the search...
    Holeshot Drag Racing Association is working to open a 1/8 drag strip in Windham Ct.
    Check out the website for up to date news at HDRA.NET
    And sign the petition at the bottom..
    Im not involved with them im just trying to pass the word!!!!
    Lets try and bring some fun back to Connecticut!

2. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

Good luck to them and may they have an easier time getting it going than the crew here, trying to re-open an old strip.
    Onandaga, Mich. They have done vast improvements and $$$$$$$$ done the permits and can't open because of one local resident..:mad:

3. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Stafford has the room too....would be neat somewhere.

4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Is't Onondaga up and running now? Sept. 7th, 2013 was re-opening day (?). There should be a serious push for the old Ct. Dragway, enough pressure and $$$ on Consumer Reports to at least give it a try; it's already there, in the middle of nowhere. Butch/56sedandelivery.

5. Pilsner

Pilsner

Thats big news! I checked out the web site and it looks like they could use some support in the way of signing a petition. The guys at the Hole Shot Drags do a great job at the Waterford Speed Bowl, hope they can make this work! I passed the word onto a few buddies and we are all buying helmets!

6. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

When it was built, it was in "the middle of nowhere." Unfortunately, over the course of the 60's and early 70's, the farm land and wooded areas were sold off and houses were build. All of a sudden, people are complaining about the noise every Sunday from the dragsters. The Town of East Haddam created varrious noise ordinances, bans on "jet propulsion engined vehicles in competition" and similar such laws. Then they got the ones suing the drag strip for "diminished property values", ruined family get-togethers, "can't enjoy my back yard", etc, etc, etc. When CR purchased the property, one of the first objections was the facility being reopened as a drag strip. CR absolutely promised (crossed their heart and everything) that they would not allow competition, all vehicles tested would be stock and have mufflers, etc. The old Connecticut International Raceway is closed and gone, unfortunately. (I know all this because I grew up in the area. I used to be able to hear the cars run from my parent's house. Matter of fact, Dad disappeared one Sunday, couldn't find him anywhere. Finally, we saw him walking up from one of the fields. He had walked via the old back roads and abandoned dirt roads the couple of miles to the strip and watched the races all afternoon.)

I hope the guys in Windham have good luck in this endevour.

7. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

If I am not mistaken the CT State Police have the final say.
    I remember at CT dragway racing couldn't start until the State Police were there.
    KK

8. loudbang

loudbang

Yes they do. BUT they listen to the town authorities as they know they don't have the expertise to "legally" determine all the problems that crop up now. Now the SP is more of an advisory body and look things over after the big decisions are made by the local authorities.

9. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

10. Church Key

Church Key

I signed the petition today. This will be great if they can make it happen.

11. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

I would like to see this happen too. bump

12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Pretty sure that sometime in the 70's that changed to a DMV person..

13. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

I think both are now required We had to have State Police at the stock car tracks here or we could not race. No track could run without a state cop present.