Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 54 merc custom (smoothed)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod0317, Jul 1, 2013.

1. hotrod0317

hotrod0317

Really dont know where that is. But we could see about meeting up you could check the car out and even take a look at that buick motor if you are interested. I know where some other cars are that the owner will not let go at all.

2. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Will do man and it sounds good. I will give you a shout when I get some free time. I'm playing catch up on class work right now.

I dig this Merc and I would drive it as a daily driver lol. When I go back to work I have said to myself I'm going to buy a truck or car that I can drive daily and have some fun with.

3. It will take some time to un-f**k it. It still was a good purchase. Did you tell the guy you bought it from that he would not recognize it much longer?

4. customcory

customcory

I would melt all the lead off that car, I bet its modifications you could break off with some vise grips, and start over. You might get suprised by whats underneath. Round you up a rear bumper or find a Mercury parts car, and get things straightened out.

5. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

has lots of potential for 3 grand at least u have a good car to start with, just got to take the ugly off

6. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Lotsa potential in the old girl, a set of chrome bumpers would be a good start

7. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

The intake dragonknucks has is for the small port 239-256 heads that you have but you will need this:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Transdapt-2...Parts_Accessories&hash=item257f23b189&vxp=mtr This would be perfect for the 239 http://www.ebay.com/itm/AFB-Carter-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item46105bf33a&vxp=mtr or as second choice a Holley 390 CFM.I think Red's Headers can hook you up for a good dual system the little 239 would like some Smitty glasspacks to help it breathe.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  8. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

I actually like the rear of the car I would add a split bumper to it so you can retain the frenched license, for the front a split 1955 Pontiac bumper would work with the headlights and Merc center section you have kind of a variation of this:http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Don_Antonelli's_1954_Mercury Maybe some members could help you with some Photoshops.

9. hotrod0317

hotrod0317

I like the side pipes on the car as is I will probably see about a set of headers if I think there will be enough clearance around the steering shaft. As for going to a single 4-bbl carb I think I might as well go ahead and get an edelbrock 3x2 with new carbs. I found a intake, carbs, linkage, chromed valve covers, distributor, metering block, and fuel line for 500 so I think im gonna go that route.

The split rear bumper Ive been thinking about since I saw the car but I need to find one first. The front I am not sure what I am going to do It just boggles my mind when I look at it.

10. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

11. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

Great buy for 3 grand, but damn did they mess it up. Not the worst I have seen though.
    I'd say 52 Merc front bumper with the lower section painted body color. The split rear bumper would not be bad, just depends on what it is from. Stock frenched 54 Merc lights would be way better.
    Overall, work on it and enjoy it....

12. hotrod0317

hotrod0317

Just got the Rebel Wire wiring harness in the mail. Talk about fast shipping and a great price.

I already have the dash out but I have ran into a problem though. I got to looking for some of my old mitchell manuals for a 50's era mercury wiring diagram and I only have partial diagrams because something got to where my manuals were and pissed all over them and ate huge chunks of the manual. Time to fire the cat that roams around the garage and hire a new one so until I get the interviews completed I think I will make a better mouse trap.

13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Motors manuals made wiring diagram manuals if you can not find a factory manual.

14. hotrod0317

hotrod0317

Just got the dash out it was a real PITA. I will be routing the wires today and getting the connectors for all the areas soon. Is there any insight on what connectors to get? I want to get a kit of connectors but should I get the Harbour freight kit of connectors or should I get smaller batches of name brand connectors?

15. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Have you checked with painless wiring? I have never used their stuff but a lot of guys seem to like them. They may have connectors too.

16. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

17. robertsregal

robertsregal

I would say you did OK for $3000. and yes you do have some body work ahead of you. I do like the 54 Merc lines and more towards traditional 50's-60's period custom look, and with some work you will have a great ride.

18. hotrod0317

hotrod0317

I got a rebel wire harness and I am happy with it and with how it looks. I just need a boat load of connectors and if I remember right the last batch of HF connectors I got were crap.

19. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Harbor Freight can be hit or miss on things. That was the other wiring I have heard of and people do like them as well.

20. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

also their screw assortment sucks they strip so easy

21. hotrod0317

hotrod0317

Anyone know if the 54 Mercury's used a vacuum blower motor for the heater? I got to looking around for a heating box just like is on my 56 f-100 and it does not exist... But in the heater box assembly under the dash there are some vacuum hoses going to the heater box. If it is a vacuum motor how hard are they to test and can you still get them if it is bad?

The guys at rebel wire directed me to www.waytekwire.com for connectors so I am getting a load of them to use. I did not get any wires routed today just because 1 person ripping the wiring out took about 4 hours working back and fourth and trying to find which bundle I was messing with it would probably take about 30 minutes with 2 people though.

I will post some pics soon on the progress.

22. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

It had a electric heater motor and everything should be the same up to 56 and should also be the same as the 54 to 56 Fords,if its setup for 12 volt get parts from a 56.

23. hotrod0317

hotrod0317

Ok here is what spurred that question about the possibility of having a vacuum motor for the heater blower motor. When I pulled the dash I saw 2 vacuum tubes running into the plenumn arond the connection from the plenumn to the heater core and in the engine bay I did not see any place for a heater motor poking through the firewall.

So I now know that I am missing some ducting and the blower motor for the heater. Is there anyone reproducing these or will I have to get one from a car that is being parted out? I know the motors are still available but the missing ducting is what I am after. Also the sliding cables for the heater box connections were cut when I bought the car so where can I get the correct length connections or is there a universal cut and splice set that I can buy?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  24. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

That second shot sure looks like you could use a '57 Chev heater motor and plenum (which I happen to have, for a small price)...and you may have to modify it a bit to get it to fit but I don't think anyone reproduces those parts you need...

R-

25. He's right, those are the parts you need. The blower motor attaches to the inner fender (you can see what's left of the mounting bracket on yours) and connects to that taped-over round duct with a round hose. The blower outlet connects to a square plenum at the firewall; you've got what's left of that still there, the mounting flange is there but the plenum's been removed and the opening has been blocked off. You'll need the blower assembly, the plenum, both the square and round connecting duct hoses, and a support strap that goes between the blower and the round duct.

You're no doubt missing some other parts too. The vacuum lines are for temp control. There's a vacuum valve inside the heater box that should have a cable and two hoses attached to it. The cable will be hooked to your temperature lever at the controls. One hose is from the vacuum source (picked up off the vacuum hose for the wipers IIRC, but it's been a long time) and the other hose goes though the firewall. This latter hose is supposed to connect to a vacuum valve on the intake manifold that the heater hose connects to. This valve is needed for temp control but are often missing or failed. Without it, you can't control flow of water through the heater core or the heater temp. Last time I went to buy one (years ago), it was expensive and very hard to find... maybe somebody is repoing them by now. What you'll usually find is either a plain 'L' fitting (which means the heater core will be full hot anytime the car is up to temp) or a manual valve (open for heat, closed for no heat) but you'll have to open the hood to operate it.

Ford used inline temperature control valves (cut into the heater hose) in both mechanical and vacuum versions on later vehicles (60s/70s trucks/vans for sure) that can be used with some mods to replace the pricey OEM manifold valve.

26. Here's my thoughts(for what it's worth).
    The rear is the easiest part to fix. The trunk looks great. get a stock rear bumper and cut off what doesn't work with it. Can live with the taillights,but probably do something better.
    You can remove the sidepipes and maybe put some 2" sidepipes on(functional or not).
    Obviously,repaint!
    I would junk the whole front end and find a doner car and replace with stock stuff. Get a stock hood.
    The interior is good. Very savable car in my opinion. I bet you can find front end parts pretty easy. Probably cheaper to get a whole doner car.

27. hotrod0317

hotrod0317

The block off plate is easily removed and is just friction fit over the heater core and it pulls right off pretty easily. The hard part will be finding all the bits and pieces for the plenumn. But I am going to have to see exactly what it is that I am missing for this to make it functional.

I have a few units from a 56 f-100 and I am going to see if I can adapt one without too much effort then everything will be self contained. Then I will have to block off the original routing for the heater motor and make it look clean.

28. Most of the truck units had no temperature control, simply having heat/no heat, fan speed, and heat or defrost control. The owners manual recommended that if you got too hot, roll down a window.... :rolleyes:

Every once in a while you'd find these 'basic' heaters in Ford cars, but the 'magicaire' unit was only a few bucks more so they're rare.

29. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If you can not find the heater motor and plenum parts let me know as I know where a bunch of 54 to 56 Fords and a few Mercs are in a couple old junkyards I frequent.

30. hotrod0317

hotrod0317

My great aunt has a old junkyard that my geat uncle ran until the 80's when he got sick. I might see if she will let me go back in there again I know I was able to find some pretty rare stuff in there for my trucks about 13 years ago. I found 3 factory radios, factory tach, 427 side oiler, among other stuff and I was wise enough to get it while I could but some things I ended up selling to fund other projects. If she has any old Mercurys down there or any 50's fords I will get the valuable parts off she is talking about what will happen to the yard when she passes away and her kids dont want to deal with the yard so I am not sure what will happen to it.

I will try to get some pictures of the stuff in the yard if I get to go in it and I will get as many good parts that I can and offer them on here if I can.