Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. colesy

colesy

Here's a car I don't think we've seen yet. Bob Chiesa's San Francisco based 58 Pontiac was runner-up to Wiley Cossey at the 66 Winternationals. Bob turned a 13.84 @ 101.12 for the E/SA class win. Would anyone else like to see the old rules (win class first, then move onto Stock eliminator) reinstated? I would, at least at the national events.

Attached Files:

Maurice Hood likes this.
  2. kscuda

kscuda
    from olathe, ks

Love those John Hagen pics!! The green Cuda was my favorite car of all time

3. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Sorry but I have no clue as to who the photographer is. Anybody?

George Nyes 55.jpg

4. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

That is a Bob Plumer photo.

5. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Thanks Bob and if your reading this Bob (Plumer), thanks again.

6. bundyracingdaman

bundyracingdaman

hey guys, check out the 56 chevy on e-bay motors under classics chevrolet: bel-air/150/210 (item 180335830797) the guy claims it to be an old stock elim. car (although i dont know the legality with the 4-speed and olds rear) isaw this car this week-end at the goodguys get-together and its anice car. ihave seen this car before at byrons gasser madness.com under "tri-five chevys" the previous owner is out of arizona and also has ayellow 56 210 that was raced back in the day the 56 for sale on e-bay, does anyone remember this car: the lettering on the trunk of the e-bay car i seem to remember seeing on the trunk of a car in one of the photos on the jr. stock thread.

7. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

8. 13 time National record holder??? Anyone know this car? ...A REALLY good buy on ebay right now is the "blast off" '57 210 sport coupe from Canada. Looks like a solid nice car for the money, and someone wrote in saying supposedly the car was a 2x4 283 record holding jr. stocker from California before it's present (70's) condition. Looks like the old "Top Cat" '57 kinda... If only we had more room :D
    -Dean

9. Down South Racer

Down South Racer

At one time a jr. stocker racer from north Ga. named Forest Shropshire owned this car.Forest passed away in Feb. of 2002. He had campaigned at least three 55 and/or 56 Chevrolet wagons with the "Milk Wagon" name in the jr. stock era.All of his cars and a lot of 265 and 283 parts went at an estate sale in 2003. Whether this car was ever raced I can't say.

10. Down South Racer

Down South Racer

Colesy, You are right on the 55 wagon. We have to remember that as of Jan, 1 1972 NHRA didnt like the tri-5 Chevrolets in Stock. They could still compete in IHRA though. Another north Georgian named Jimmy Wood and one of his friends campaigned the Shropshire 55 "Milk Wagon" for a couple of seasons. Forest sold the car and I lost track of it after that.

11. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Speaking of Milk Wagons....

milk wgn 2.jpg

12. Colsey,
    I had forgotten about the ad. The only thing remaining is the copy of the title for the car.
    In 1965 I was service director for Knobloch Dodge in South River NJ, and was running my '62 &'63 max wedge cars{this is before I got the wagon}.
    The dealership had ordered the "D" Dart package that Chrysler had made, 50 were produced. I bought the car and only raced it, no steeet driving. For that reason Peoples National Bank in New Brunswick NJ let me drop the insurance coverage that was needed because it was financed.
    About a year later I left the dodge dealer and bought a Sunoco station in Englishtown right near the track. I raced the car and decided to sell it and go back to the max wedge cars.
    I came in one Monday morning to open at 5:30AM and the car was gone. I thought some of the jokers that worked for me had hidden it behind the building! Not so ,someone stole it overnight and I had to make the remaining 27 payments or face being sued by the bank.
    I had no other insurance on it, so I did the right thing and made the payments. About a month after making the last payment I got a call from thre bank telling me that I owed an extra $5.00 late fee because onr of the payments was late by a week and if I didn't pay the money they would not give me the title. I told the lady that I had faithfully made the payments and if she wanted the title to pay the $5.00 and it was hers. I never heard from them again and the car never showed up anywhere.
    Live and learn.
    Dom Rinaldi

13. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Thanks Freddy,
    That sure seems to explain 'The Mystery (4-Sp) '56 Stocker'!

[​IMG]

14. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

15. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

Hey guys went looking for that post on the carbs and intake there is 1 on ebay intake claimed to be 56 w/2 carbs but parts missing could 1 of you Jr stock guru's plz check it out and let the less informed nublet know if correct? says a small but good repair witch i do not see but i would not know where one would break? Thanks

16. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whats the eBay item number? I couldn't find it.

17. Blast off was one of the cars that I remember use to run a Cedar Dragway When the local car club or myself and a buddy promoted races there it had a 283 tunnel ram 2x4 fenderwell headers ran well and was always very clean

18. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  19. Yesterday I recieved this scan from none other then Ken Patrick himself showing the In-Bomber in a very EARLY phase, having practically no stickers and no car number on the glass. The front fender lettering is different as well, saying "Built by YUK". In '68 it changed to "Built by YUKIO", then later to the Raceland Inc. lettering in '69. Now if I can just convince him to send me the original photo!
    -Dean

Attached Files:

20. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

item# is 260378630632

21. 57maddman

57maddman

Intake is correct casting # checks out 3731394 is 56. It is also correct in that there are 4 seperate holes for ea. carb. BUT carbs are way wrong all 56-57's had WCFB's for the 2x4 set up.

22. greasy50chevy

greasy50chevy

wish i could have been around then

23. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

24. Jim Pizzi

Jim Pizzi

Hi Guys,
    Here are some pics of my brother Tony Pizzi in the early years.
    The Stude was his first Jr Stocker. The car was named The Time Machine and he ran it in K/S.

The next pics are of his 62 Chevy 409 that he named The Time Machine II. Soon after he began his involvment with Bill Jenkins and
    repainted the car white and renamed it The Fugitive. I will post a few more pics later with a pic of the 09 in white with the Jenkins sticker on it. Tony is the guy without a shirt.

Jim Pizzi

Attached Files:

25. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Jim,

During one of my conversations with Tony we talked about Jenkins being called Grumpy. Tony said that Jenkins was constantly bothered by people wanting him to work on all kinds of things. Then he said "some asshole even brought in a Studebaker and asked him to work on it."

Was he telling a story on himself?

26. Jim Pizzi

Jim Pizzi

I did read something somewhere where a guy said all that was missing from a stude was a jenkins sticker. Tony met jenkins when he was running his 09.

27. Jim Pizzi

Jim Pizzi

IMG.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

T. Pizzi Z28.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

Here are a few more pics of Tonys cars. The last pic is of the last thing that Tony built before his passing. He did up a race motor for my pick-up. He was working on a motor for a Buick Grand National look alike for his son but when he passed all that was done was the short block. I was the lucky one to have the last thing that he built!
    If I find anymore pics I will post them.
    Jim Pizzi

28. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Jim,
    Thanks for the great pictures. I became a Tony Pizzi fan when his '68 Z/28 was featured in SS&DI magazine. I never got to see him race but I loved that Z. By the way, George Cureton took some pretty good video of Tony's '62 at Cecil County that Jim Amos (Bee on Video) has put on VHS and DVD.
    Bob Rice

29. Jim Pizzi

Jim Pizzi

Hi Bob,
    I have that SS/DI mag. I would love to have a copy of that DVD.

30. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Thanks for the great stories (and the images) Jim ... Tony would really be pleased! You know, he personified just what NHRA 'Jr. Stock' racing was all about!

Guess no one will mind if I post this *image again (*FYI its my 'higher' resolution version).

It was a picture-perfect day at Englishtown's 1971 Spring NHRA World Championship Series opener. I had just sold my Pontiac and was 'rideless' so I was hanging out with nice-guy ('Doc') Jack Robinson. His (350 cu in) 'bullet proof' Olds wagon only needed fresh plugs and Jack 'hisself' did that, so there was some time for me to grab a few pictures.

I had just taken a shot of 'Lil' George's new (former Bobby Warren) Nova, when I heard this huge 'ruckus' like someone was doing burnouts in the pits! Turned out it was Tony, a few 'spaces' away. He had realized that his seven inch slicks had 'grown' an 1/8" or so during time runs and this was a definite 'deal breaker' for at least one (Greg X?) of the NHRA tech guys.

Sooo, in the picture, the (unknown) fellow in the blue jacket was 'trimming' the outer edge of the M&H's with a (bodyman's) 'Vixen' file as Tony spun the tires. What a sight it was, what a sound ... and Watta Guy!

PS: Just 'in case' you didn't know ... 'double click' the image AFTER you 'open' it for an even larger view!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009