Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lost Art: Made By Hand

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is an interesting series. Years ago I tried to make a knife out of an old flat file following directions out of some magazine but I didn't have the right tools to do it then.
    Thanks for sharing it.

4. Racrdad

Racrdad

I really enjoy these videos, they are so inspirational and really capture the true American spirit. Thanks Ryan, you made my day with this one!

5. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

That guy has got it. I'm not really even into knives or even cooking, but after seeing that I kind of want to get some of those knives.

6. Sinner

Sinner

He really needs to wear saftey glasses!!

7. I work with a guy who makes custom knives,all by hand. They are AMAZING! AND! very expensive!!!
    Great video,Ryan.

8. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Such great talent!!! And beautiful video. What a cool dude!!! Thanx for sharing!!

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Awesome video. I really like how he pointed out the need to master a craft BEFORE you can create art. Like you have to put you time and dues in before you can move forward in that world. Tattooing really is one of the last artistry disciplines where you have to do an apprenticeship before you can even start in the field. And I believe it makes for a better product in any instance. People who want it bad enough stick around to cut their teeth on the skill of the masters before them. Robots don't know any better.

10. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

An old world craft master in 2011........that young man would fit in in any age/century of metal work.

11. Captain Ned

Captain Ned
    from Vermont

Off topic?

Not in the least. Art is art, be it pencil, paint, or hot metal.

I suddenly have a hankering for some seriously expensive cooking irons.

12. Having dabbled in knives I will have to say it is one of the hardest things I have ever attempted! Every flaw will show in the end. Shots of one of my primitives is on the Gear Journal. Looks like he uses the stock removal process which is what I have done in the past. His hand at sanding is REALLY good. Looking forward to doing some blacksmithing now that I have a forge. Neat video, VERY inspirational.

13. plhildy

plhildy
    from Clovis, Ca

it is interesting to listen to someone who has ben "educated" discover work. I have bumped into those folks over the years. The reactions are not always the same, but there is an "ah haw" sort of moment. I am as fasinated by colonial American history as hot rods, and back in the good old days (they wern't) the apperntice worke from 5 - 7 years before becomming a journyman. Inderesting word, on your way to becomming a master? In Jewish history a man was not considered complete untill he was educated (bookish) and had a trade skill at which he could earn a living. Great ideas, lets get to work.

14. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

awesome video, he sells those fuckers for like 700 bucks too!

15. bowtiemyk

bowtiemyk

Soon to be - The Lost Art: Made by Braille -WHERE ARE YOUR SAFETY GLASSES!!!

16. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

The man is a true artist and craftsman. Wonder what his stuff sells for?

17. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

I love old hand made knives and that video was awesome! Id love to see some of his older hunting knives, but the kitchen stuff is just as cool!
    This is my "barn find"! circa 1860, and still holds an incredible edge!
    Thanks for posting, again, Ryan!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

I'ts really neat when these folks are articulate enough to really explain themselves. Seems like a bunch of the younger artists/artisan types discovered their callings after their education. Makes for pretty well rounded, (even though a little serious), attitude. Nice to see these supposedly off topic stories every once in a while.

19. Dan10

Dan10
    from Joplin

I have been making knives as christmas presents for a few years now. There most definately is a learning curve but the awe that people have when they unsheath a great tool is really satisfying. I've had offers on several of them, but they are gifts and its hard to part with them. I was offered $300 for the first knife I made that has less than $30 in it. Can't sell it, it was my first. I have recently taken up hand stitching sheathes for hunting knives because it is useless if you can't carry it. Made several different hunting knives from elk skinners to duck gutters and big and small fillet knives. Pairing and boning knives for the kitchen and even a set of steak knives. The creative options are overwhelming and it really is alot of fun. I picked up a new trick watching the video too. Thanks for posting this.

20. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Outstanding and very inspiring!

21. RADustin

RADustin
    from Louisiana

There is an old knife maker here in Baton Rouge I've had the pleasure to meet(and walk away from). His name is Shiva Ki. He is amazing at what he does, I even think he has some world records. All his tools were hand made. Just awesome.

22. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

I love watching people that are amazing with their hands work, that tie between brain and hand is so powerful and mesmerizing......a drug of it's own......one of the things that made being an educator so rewarding. Thanks Ryan for posting stuff like this so we all remember what used to be the "norm" for people who made things........ being a craftsman with skill and knowledge which you applied to your craft ................ out of respect for it!

23. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Very cool indeed. Thanks Ryan.
    But I wish he wore goggles. Ouch.
    Slim

24. Holy shit! That was cool. I am still in awe of stuff like this. My job changed recently from a point where I had some creative outlet (code/db jockey) to information assurance. Where time is consumed on an exponential level, with seemingly little getting accomplished. Makes me miss the days of being a heavy equipment mech.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  25. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I bet if I go over to GearJournal.com I'll find your post there too!
    For those who don't know, Gear Journal is all about cool equipment, stuff and necessities. Check it out.

26. fordrat31

fordrat31
    from Palmer, MA

Wow awesome video! I really enjoyed watching it.

27. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

I love these posts Ryan, keep them coming

28. You beat me to it!

www.gearjournal.com

One whole sub-forum devoted to knives!

29. NOTCH

NOTCH

Thanks for sharing that video. Frickin Cool.