Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone ever powdercoat an intake manifold ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FalconMan, Dec 9, 2012.

1. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I am debating if I should powder coat the new 3 deuce intake I have. I know I will never keep it clean in the raw aluminum.

Thinking about clear or aluminum finish. Any experience with discoloring or lifting from exposure to fuel ?

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Can we be honest here? To me and just my opinion but manifolds look cheap after powder coating. Polish it and wash it! JMO
    Your better than that your avatar proves it!

3. johnod

johnod

I had mine done, and i like it. I think it was called near chrome.
    Doesn't look like chrome to me, more like a smooth satin finish aluminum, which was perfect for me.

I've never liked the dirt a cast alum manifold picks up and holds.

I think fuel will discolor it, but not sure.

4. indyjps

indyjps

I own a powdercoated intake with cracking chipping finish. Don't know the history on it, just it was brand new the owner had it powder coateded and the finish cracked so it was half price.

5. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

I did my SBC air cleaner, valve covers and aluminum intake the intake didn't last long after less than a 1000 miles it started changing color around the heat riser and where it touched the heads I had a hell of a time getting the powder paint off to save the intake...

6. scott51

scott51

Kind of surprised by the number of bad experiences posted. As long as someone that knows what they're doing and uses the proper product you'll end up with something pretty bullet proof and easy to clean.

They coat engine internals, exhaust manifolds and anything else you can imagine so an intake is no biggie (

7. scott51

scott51

Should have also mentioned a number of the Edelbrock manifolds come with cermachrome (sp?) finish which is a type of powdercoating that looks kind of liked slightly dulled polished Aluminium. I have one no problems at all.

8. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

Check out the disclaimers from Edelbrock re "Endurashine"

9. here's mine . Also did the valve covers. Did it basically for low maintenance reasons... and bonus for me cuz I like the looks of it.

Attached Files:

10. My buddy, Cliff bead blasted his chevy aluminum intake to a nice silvery, satin finish and sent it in to be powdercoated in clear.
    When he went to pick it up it had turned gray...man, he was pissed.

11. 32ratsass

32ratsass

I did an aluminum manifold in silver powder coat, And it held up great and looked good with the exception of the heat crossover where it contacted the heads, discolored.

12. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

I had one of those endurashine or permastar or whatever the hell they were called from Edelbrock and it discolored and chipped where the heat got to it so i would say no on the powercoating.

13. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Bloody closet streetrodders :D
    Got an old 3x2 edelbrock, was cleared with metal flake. Looked to have held up really good. But in different angles of sunlight, it shon pink. :eek:
    It's now ala natural. Thought PC would of held up ok.

14. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I do all of mine now. Cast alminum from Eastwood done in a recycled kitchen oven. I like the look and it stays clean. Another plus is the Y Ford thermostat housing is cast iron and I think it looks better matching the aluminum intake. JMHO

[​IMG]

I think it's an improvement.

15. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

I powder coat all my intakes (purely out of laziness, all I travel with is windex wipes) It's all about the color and coater you choose! If you are worried about "Hot spots" just spend a little more money and have it done in a high heat finish............. Good luck

CudaChick1968 likes this.
  16. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

I think this happens any time you clearcoat (whether its powder, clear acrylic or poly) over cleaned aluminum. I had a manifold blasted with steel shot and it literally looked like a brand new casting. Then I cleared it and it turned a muddy gray.

17. QuarterLifeCrisis

QuarterLifeCrisis
    from NY

I've had everything from accessory pullies to valve covers to seat tracks powdercoated. As mentioned above, as long as the process is done correctly with quality product, it'll be fine. Look up Phoenix Specialty Coatings and ask for Leanna. I have no affiliation with them, they've just done some spectacular work for me and friends in the past.

CudaChick1968 likes this.
  18. 29moonshine

29moonshine

i bead blasted mine then put blasted aluminum on it from eastwood still looks good after 3yrs

19. I have the Edelbrock Endurashine intakes on both my '32 pickup and the '54 "Ranch Wagon".

The intake has been on my truck for 5 years with no problems at all and the intake has been on the wagon for almost a year and it still looks great. HRP

20. Powder coating intakes are done all the time by a lot of guys. Guys that don't realize that a powder coated intake doesn't dissipate heat as well as one that is not powder coated. This quite often can cause issues like poor atomization which can lean out cylinders and/or vapor lock.

I wouldn't do it.

21. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Had an intake Jet Hot coated-looks great.

22. quick60

quick60
    from Virginia

Check out what they put on headers. The exhaust pipe on my junior dragster was coated ceramic coating and it did not discolor at all. We ran an exhaust temp of around 1100 degrees in the pipe at the finish line. Ran the same pipe for four years no problems.

check them out http://www.jet-hot.com/

LOL Bigchuck beat me to it!!!

23. Have one that is 2 years old now. It was done in a bright silver. It looks like chrome. It still shines as the day it was done no problems.

24. You want heat in headers, you don't want heat in an intake/fuel system. This is the most basic engine performance knowledge. Coatings keep heat in.

25. madmak95

madmak95

Word of advice ..... if you coat it yourself and it aluminum be careful of outgassing. Aluminium has gasses in the casting and will come out during heating and leave little bubbles in the finish . You have to pre heat alot to get them out. To me it seem the older the part the more gas it has.

26. You got that right brother! Once I past 50 I've had a lot of gas. :D

27. jimbousman

jimbousman

Did the same. Added a clear top coat. Two years and it looks like new.

28. 41woodie

41woodie

Powder coated my aluminum intake and alternator case hi-gloss black. Coated the aluminum valve covers in a textured finish gray. They show no deterioration at all.

29. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I think you are thinking about pot metal like carbs...also called white metal by some.

[​IMG]

You can see the the pebbly surface of the pot metal fuel pump base while the steel tubing is fine.

I've done a bunch of aluminum intakes and other aluminum pieces with no problems. Aluminum does not out gas. Pot metal does. There is a big difference.

30. madmak95

madmak95

I've had pot metal do that to. But I had several intakes and valve cover outgass or offgas. And I've had some that didn't.