Register now to get rid of these ads!

North Georgia build thread

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by injected27, May 3, 2012.

1. injected27

injected27

I am still a couple weeks off on starting my build. I am still gathering parts. I have got to get the engine pulled 250 chevy. Found a straight axle in poor shape but very cheap. Got to get my 2x3 tubing. I am guessing .120 wall. I think my roadster is .095 and legal but not sure about SDRA rules. I am still trying to find the correct roll cage tubing 1 5/8 and 1 inch Got a glide and a 350 turbo. Ordering shifter soon and got a few options on steering boxes. Got some frame measurements from a great HAMBsters. I have 2 2barrells off of 400 sbc I was gonna use. Really not sure if I want to go drum or disc brakes on rear. I have spindle mount 17x2.5 weld superlite front wheels. These were the first wheels I had for my super comp car not a lot of money in them so why not use them. I have some gauges (tach,oil pressue and temp) and a honda radiator in the loft of the shop. I also need to get a belt for my lathe. I is a 1910 american but it will turn a 20 inch diameter 8ft long piece. I think my daughter is gonna enjoy the build and I should be able to slow it down enough to race against her jr. Just to show her Dad has not lost his touch and can still drive a racecar. I have got a jr and super comp car not to metion my street roadster (it is my first racecar and still my favorite) to get finished but she is out of school for the summer and felt like it is important to get her some training to know how to do this. Sorry this is so long but just wanting some suggetions.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  2. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Welcome aboard injected27, sounds like you have a good start. Neat to be doing the build with your daughter. Keep us posted on your progress.

3. injected27

injected27

Thanks I am hoping to get started when she gets out of school. Hows your stuff coming along???

4. P-Dog

P-Dog

This sounds like a great plan, a papa daughter build is the best!

Just keep it fun, don't let it turn into a JOB and while you're building it remember that you will have to work on it sooner or later so make allowances, how would I know this LOL

Good luck, keep us posted, lots of pictures and do ask questions.

P-Dog the interested........

5. Old28

Old28

Jason, glad you started your build thread. That list sounds like you have a great start for your build. Like I told you yesterday, post questions on your thread and you will get a ton of information. Go over the SDRA rules a few times, they are very clear. As I said we love to see pictures, starting with the parts pile.;)

This will be a project that you and your daughter talk about for years to come, have a great time. Let me know if you need more information.:)

6. injected27

injected27

Wow you guys have impressed me. I am not use to this. I still have a couple week before I pull the trigger. I built my first car when I was 20 and it was a piece at a time. I told myself never again. I do not start until I have over 50% of my parts. I really appreciate all the encourgement. thanks

7. injected27

injected27

Dern got a ol mopar buddy of mine wanting to build one too. Guess I will have to clean the dragster jig off. He is gonna split some expense with me on supplies and will cut my left over material down. Plus me and him will run together so they will be at least 2 of the cars everytime I go.

8. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

See how long it takes to start growing? :D

9. Old28

Old28

We ain't even got a good picture of the yet to be completed parts pile and you have a second car starting up. Might have 3 or 4 by the end of summer.;)

10. injected27

injected27

I am having a heck of a time finding 1 5/8 tubing .134 wall. I can get 5ft lengths threw JEGS. for a good price but everybody else is crazy on there price. My street roadster is illegal right now because the tubing is .116 thick. This was mill run erw. I am not going thru that again. I have actually been stripping a car today and working on a farm with a friend of mine. I really can not post a parts pile picture. I keep my stuff spread out in a few different areas so nobody really knows what I do have!!!!!! My buddy has done found 2 slant 6 today and already has his 9 inch ford. When I get this tubing issue resolved it will be full steam ahead. I will post some chassis pics when I get it on the jig. I do have a roadster and jr picture in my album if that helps.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  11. P-Dog

P-Dog

Injected27,

Jorgensen Steel shows 1 5/8" DOM in both .125" and .134" wall in their catalog.
    The nearest Jorgensen location to you in in Bessimer, Alabama.
    You could call to see if they have a truck coming to your area soon.
    205-426-6061

Hope this helps,
    P-Dog......

12. injected27

injected27

Man that is great new. I feel a road trip coming on. I will call them first thing Monday morning. Might be getting this show on the road. Thanks a ton!!!!!!

13. mudflap261

mudflap261
    from tulsa

if you go to a 6 point cage you can use inch and half 125 wall

14. injected27

injected27

One question for ya'll. I have read about having cams reground. Does anyone have anybody they like to use or a certain profile. You can PM me the answer if you do not want the whole world knowing about this.

15. injected27

injected27

there is actually a rule on the 1 1/2 to 1 5/8 for NHRA. I think if the cage is over 12 inches high. This may be only fo Street Roadsters and it may have been the inspector I had!!!! I have a 1 5/8 die so kinda want to stay with that. Thanks for the suggestion

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  16. Old28

Old28

Jason, I think you are correct about the NHRA street roadster tube deal. They also wanted gussets at the welds, most all was because of how wide and tall there cages are for that class.

Most all of the HA/GR & SDRA chassis cages are build to the NHRA Altered spec's with 1 1/2" .118 MS 6 point or 1 5/8" .118 MS 5 point and 1" .118 MC helmet bars. Most all the tracks out West are NHRA run and we have to play by their rules.:rolleyes:

There is a note about back side of the cage 18" or taller that you use
    1 5/8", but 18" tall on the back side is a lot, most cages are are not that tall
    from the shoulder hoop up at the back. You might take a look at (bobw) build thread for some ideas.:D

If you have 1 5/8" die you may want to build a 5 point cage, I think they look a little more old school.

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  17. injected27

injected27

I had a very bad accident 20 years ago in a door car. I do not skimp when it comes to saftey not saying anyone does. I think weight has a lot to do with the cage spec because most of them cars are 2100lbs or better to run Super Gas. I feel that the street roadster spec is the toughest to meet. So I figured build it to that spec and if the do up the specs on the dragster I will already be there. I understand about playing buy the rules also. I had never heard of a ground strap on a fuel cell until I went to my first divisional. It is there ball and glove if we want to play the game we have to go by there rules. I do appreciate everyones feed back it makes this a lot easier.

18. bobw

bobw

I have bought a couple pre fab cages for door cars from Chris Alston. He, and many others use .134" wall mild steel. Often times .120" wall can be thinner than .118" especially through a bend. I doubt any HA/GR car is going to be sonic tested since they are slower than 10.00 and don't need to be certified.

The other car I'm building is a street/drag piece. I found lengths of 1 5/8" that measured .127 on both ends. So I used that , hoping it wouldn't "thin" to under .118" in the bends. Again, it is very doubtful it will ever be tested on a low eleven second car.

I had my slant 6 cam ground locally by Berry Cams. There has been problems with the distributor/oil pump drive gear on the cam blanks used by some of the major grinders. That's why I stuck with my oem cam. Lots of the slant six racers use Oregon Cams for regrinds. They have a very good reputation.

There is one HA/GR car in Florida so maybe you can get a 3 car deal going pretty soon.

19. injected27

injected27

Thanks bobw. My buddy is gonna run a mopar and that is some great info. I am going to run a chevy 250 but I am sure they can help me. In the past the inspectors down here have not check the thickness in the bends only the straights.I call a while back about some and the guy called the .134 NHRA tubing because they are the only ones that require the use of it.That is a very impressive car you have built. I have went all the way threw your build post several times great work!!!!!

20. Old28

Old28

Jason, I lived in WA State for 8 years and a lot of racers and street rodders up there use Oregon Cams and they do most any cam and have a very good reputation.

In 30 years of having my cars 7.50 - 9.99 chassis certified, I like you have never had a tech sonic test on a bend. All tests were on straight sections.

I don't know about your area, but out this way all the open wheel dragsters/altereds/roadsters cage area are built the same and the only difference is 10.00 - slower do not need to have a chassis certification. Let's hope it stays the same. It is costing up to $250 to get a 3 year sportsman tag done locally unless the track has an open Cert. day.

21. injected27

injected27

I got a rear engine car that I will have to have recertified soon and :cool:my roadster:cool: when I get the cage fixed. I probably want have the roadster recertified I can keep it under the 9.99 mark and not hurt a lot of parts. This SDRA car is to do a little cheap bracket racing if there is a such thing and get my :pdaughter:p some education on the workings of a racecar!!!! Thanks for the help guys some of my parts are starting to fall in place this tubing deal is the biggest hold up right now but it is just a pebble in the road of life.:eek:

22. injected27

injected27

Well not a lot of progress this week but I did get all of my metal ordered. I am suppose to pick it up friday. I might be able to get started soon ( I hope) and yes I will post pictures on the progress. I have came up with a few small parts also.

23. injected27

injected27

Well tubing will not be here until tuesday.:mad: It was suppose to be here friday so that spoiled the plans for the weekend. I guess I will work on the :pround-to-it list:p this weekend instead. Hope everyone has a good weekend and GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS and thanks to all that have served.

24. P-Dog

P-Dog

That just bites when you have a long weekend then your material doesn't show up!!!! Kinda like going to the high screwl prom alone.

Good luck with the round-to-it's and, as another retired old duffer always says, "There's always tomorrow"

P-Dog......

25. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

I also love the things you ordered from company X specifically for their quick delivery claims (usually for an impending meet).
    Invariably, delivery day begins with an e-mail or a phone call; "Part(s) back ordered".

That's been the cause of more midnight oil sessions than my original procrastination. :rolleyes:

26. injected27

injected27

Great news after ordering my tubing 2 fridays ago I find out today it may not be here this friday:mad:. And people wonder why the economy is in the dumps. I think 2 weeks from Chiacgo to Atlanta is completley unacceptable:confused:. I will get off my soap box. I hope everyone had a good weekend I got a few things off my "round-to-it" list.

27. injected27

injected27

Well after a month I got my roll cage tubing today. It looks like I will be starting on the chassis after the 4th. I hope the build goes faster than the material ordering.

28. injected27

injected27

Well finally got started on the chassis and had a great day. Got the firewall bar in and the upper frame around the shoulder in and a lot of lay out work. So glad to get this thing started finally. Partner is gonna post some pictures soon.

29. injected27

injected27

These are some of the pictures.

Attached Files:

30. Old28

Old28

Nice start, I bet you are glad to see tubing going togeather. I sent you a PM.