Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lost Drag Strips

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BobG, Nov 30, 2008.

1. 72Gremlin

72Gremlin
    from Illinois

Forgot...Springfield Il. Drag City.

2. 72Gremlin

72Gremlin
    from Illinois

Did it ever get bought????

3. 72Gremlin

72Gremlin
    from Illinois

Went to that link...says website for sale??? Can't find anything on old strips???

4. 29ToyA

29ToyA

I was hoping someone had pictures of CDR

5. Diana The Doc

Diana The Doc
    from New York

West Hampton Dragway aka Long Island Dragway aka Long Island Motorsports Park has now been defunct for several years... As the area of Long Island that surrounds the track became more "sophisticated", from its former "working class" population, to its current crop of "Hollywood-ish" types, there's no room for a "noisy", "smelly" drag strip in the neighborhood... When it was first constructed, it was one of the first "organized" drag strips on the east coast... The track had a colorful history during its early years, lots of "big names" and substantial events-- As time went on, the place kind of fell into decline (wasn't a real money maker)... Now there's a "retirement village" where the strip used to be... I guess that's a common transition for former drag strips... "The Doc" (Celebrity Drag Racing Authority & Visionary)...

P.S. here's a link for a new YouTube video of ours titled "ODE TO THE RESPIRATOR MASK - OLD SCHOOL DRAG RACING"... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTrvVi7C_Qg

6. Crudbro

Crudbro

This photo was taken at the Raven Rock Drag Strip which was located near Portsmouth,Ohio. It was the home strip of Gordon Collett, who won several NHRA meets in the mid 60's. He is also in the NHRA hall of fame.

Attached Files:

7. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

Raven Rock is now under a school, isn't it?

Kevin

8. Crudbro

Crudbro

Yes it is Kevin. The strips location can be seen on this photo where the white gravel road is near the left center of the picture to the right of U.S. 52. This was the starting line. It then ran down where the school buildings are toward the lower right corner of the picture. The owners of the adjoining farm (You can see the fenceline) would open a gate in that area in case the rail dragsters needed more room to stop. The city of Portsmouth can be seen in the background.

Attached Files:

9. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

The old Vacaville strip was actually still there until just a couple years ago, you used to be able to see it diving by on I-80, then the weeds took over. I was over there bidding a job, went over the overpass, and there it was- they had scraped the grass off of it to get ready for the recycling grinder. the fence was open, and I drove in and cruised around on it a bit, still in pretty good shape then- gone now

10. Toymaker......that was a cool video,thanks for posting.Its crazy how its all just still sitting there.

11. butch70462

butch70462

anybody remember or raced at the Laplace Dragstrip / in Laplace,Lousianna
    or remember Jakes speed equiptment out of New Orleans.

12. BBMan

BBMan

Me, too....Vacaville, Fremont. Is Redding still there?

13. Ran a 60 Impala 348/350 horse at both locations (White City and Port Orford) in 61 and 62, early 63. Raced with the "KLAN" racing team out of Springfield. Held the class record at PO.

14. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

How about the Hallsville, Tx downhill strip from the late 50's early 60's?? My first strip Road with a friend of my friends big brother, Had a tri power 312 in a 55 Ford that ran 15's in D/G. Won the trophy that day! I was HOOKED!!!!!!!!!!!

Also,
    What about SE International in Dallas Ga where Petty wrecked his '64 hem Cuda?? Uphill staging lanes were tough in a stick car like I ran. Well run tack most of the time.

15. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

Does anyone know the address of or have directions to the old Van Wert, Ohio dragstrip? I think it was also called Wayne Trail Raceway at one point. I'm trying to collect coordinates of all the old dragstrips in Ohio and visit what's left before they're gone forever. I'm having a tough time with this one. I had a hard time with Kettlersville for a while but have it now. I'd appreciate any help. If anyone's interested I can post all I have so far.

Thanks,
    Kevin.

16. 72Gremlin

72Gremlin
    from Illinois

Anyone ever locate any more photos from "Boondocks" or the other name..."Greater Peoria Dragstrip" outside Peoria Illinois??? It opened in the 50's...closed in the late 1970's! Thanks

17. 72Gremlin

72Gremlin
    from Illinois

Would also love to see some photos from Assumption "Motion Raceway"/Beardstown Dragstrip/Springfield Illinois(can't remember the name)....etc. Thanks!

18. Boodlum

Boodlum

Raced at Laplace a couple times while going to school in New Orleans. 1969 GTO Judge. Won class both times. I need to make some etouffe before bug season is over...

Bood

19. woodywagon1965r

woodywagon1965r

They did the same thing to Golden Horseshoe in Georgetown Ont back in the early 80s

20. TerrorSwain

TerrorSwain

I don't have any pictures, but there used to be a Drag strip in Fonda, NY at the Fonda Speedway. And also one in South Glens Falls, NY. I am too young, to have seen either, but have heard some stories of some of the Big Names back in the day running at them. Anyone have any info?

Edit: I just found some info that verifies, Shirley Muldowney used to run at the 1/8th mile strip in Fonda. Before she was famous!

21. 71Dart440

71Dart440
    from Wichita KS

22. 72Gremlin

72Gremlin
    from Illinois

71Dart440..i remember that 66 Chevelle... "GoldenRod"!!! It had to have raced at Havana also!! I was never able to make it to Assumption!! Thanks alot for posting!

23. 72Gremlin

72Gremlin
    from Illinois

Was Springfield named...."Drag City" ?

24. skirtless33

skirtless33

Springfield was Drag City and before that I think it was called Pleasant Grove

25. 72Gremlin

72Gremlin
    from Illinois

71Dart440 Thanks so much for posting these!!! If you have any others please post them when you have time! Thanks again, Joe

26. 72Gremlin

72Gremlin
    from Illinois

27. 72Gremlin

72Gremlin
    from Illinois

"Boondocks" outside of Peoria Il. Winter shots were in 2005. Photo of sign was the track operator in 1974 Bill Curtis.

28. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

Riverside was in Chesapeake OH across from Huntington WV. Closed down due to noise and being directly across from St. Mary's Hospital. There are photos at facebook, just search.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  29. just a little more info on why beeline closed, it is on native land, and basically from what i remember the person who ran it wasn't really good with relations with the owners of the land, who then decided not to renew the lease, and now even if they were to let someone lease it again, there wouldn't be much of a point as there are now 2 better tracks in phoenix, and 87 is now traveled quite a bit and i have heard when jet cars ran there their smoke would obstruct seeing on 87, so now with everyone being burnout happy, could cause some interesting situations on the highway.... so goodbye beeline, you are gone but not forgotten.....

30. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Thanks for the pics. One of my older brothers raced his 57 Chevy there, back about 1971.